I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 12:23:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  'What's wrong with you'?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'What's wrong with you'?  (Read 16274 times)
LightLizard

« on: August 01, 2007, 01:58:15 PM »

On another message board, where I have been a member for several years, I'm having some challenges with some of the members and their attitude towards my condition.
Many of them support and believe the premise that any condition of the body, any illness, chronic or not, can be healed by oneself with their own mind, whether it is by prayer of affirmation, reiki or 'manifesting your reality'. These people insist that my condition is a result of my indulging in negative thinking. They claim that seeing my condition is my fault, that I should be able to heal it if I could change my perception to be more in line with theirs.

What do you say to such a premise?

love

~LL~
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 02:32:17 PM »

I think they must not have ever had to deal with an illness where death would be imminent if their beliefs failed. I hope you don't think its your fault.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
bdpoe

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 02:42:12 PM »

On another message board, where I have been a member for several years, I'm having some challenges with some of the members and their attitude towards my condition.
Many of them support and believe the premise that any condition of the body, any illness, chronic or not, can be healed by oneself with their own mind, whether it is by prayer of affirmation, reiki or 'manifesting your reality'. These people insist that my condition is a result of my indulging in negative thinking. They claim that seeing my condition is my fault, that I should be able to heal it if I could change my perception to be more in line with theirs.

love

~LL~

Easy for them to say. I wish I knew what group or message board this was. I suspect their theology or spirituality
is FLAWED. While I believe that sometimes miracles do happen, I know first hand that a lot of this stuff is a sham
and a scam. The problem is that many of us really want to Believe in stuff being sold by hucksters.

Blaming the victim is not limited to spirituality, it can be found in government, politics, and even the health care system.

Sadly, many don't really know how to help or care even with the best intentions.
....bd
LightLizard

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 02:50:29 PM »

thank you both. those are pretty much my thoughts on the matter too. until one has walked the walk, there's only talk. and we all know how cheap that can be...

if you want to join in the fun, you can register here, http://www.chopra.com/Discussion/default.asp put on your hip waders, first!
;)

love

~LL~
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 02:51:21 PM »

If that was the case then NO ONE would be ill. There is nothing wrong with positive thought , but actual healing thought , sorry if it was so simple i think we would all have healed ourselves long ago .

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
LightLizard

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 03:04:39 PM »

If that was the case then NO ONE would be ill. There is nothing wrong with positive thought , but actual healing thought , sorry if it was so simple i think we would all have healed ourselves long ago .

that's the truth, kickstart. but some people won't settle for that and insist that if we can't heal ourselves, it must be due to something we're doing wrong.
bedsides, imagine a world where no one ever got sick and died. we'd be about thirty-thousand deep, in a decade or so, covering the earth and clogging up the oceans with our indestructible bodies.

what would we do then?
;)
LightLizard

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 03:07:44 PM »

YO glitter, i see your name on the 'new members' listing over there. keep yer head down and watch yer back!

i'll fly 'point' fer ya.

go to the 'health' section for a good time.

heehee

LOCK'N'LOAD!
 :boxing;
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 03:15:44 PM »

I will be joining tommorrow ,  both guns blazing , lock n load it is !  I just love a good debate !  :bandance;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 03:17:59 PM »

I will be joining tommorrow ,  both guns blazing , lock n load it is !  I just love a good debate !  :bandance;

:secret; put me down for $100.00 on Kickstart, she's a feisty one :P  :boxing;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
LightLizard

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 03:20:37 PM »

:bandance; :bandance;
YAYY!! I KNEW my gang wouldn't let me down!

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!
 :wine; :boxing; :canadaflag; :usaflag; :ukflag; :ausflag;
 :grouphug; :beer1; :yahoo;
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 03:27:35 PM »

:secret; put me down for $100.00 on Kickstart, she's a feisty one :P  :boxing;

Oh when i get started .... :rofl;

tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 04:12:43 PM »

let us know of the fun that develops ..................... should be a laugh

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
LightLizard

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 05:25:18 PM »

most of the people on that site are good folk, really. it's just a few that get one riled up. like saying a child that gets sick has attracted the illness and such. it can be fun and stimulating, if you like that kind of thing. i think i do, cuz i've been there awhile. maybe i'm just a bit of a masochist.
;)
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 05:51:52 PM »

Most of the people on that site are good folk, really. It's just a few that get one riled up, like saying a child that gets sick has attracted the illness and such. It can be fun and stimulating, if you like that kind of thing. I think I do, cuz I've been there a while. Maybe I'm just a bit of a masochist.
;)

I cannot imagine why anyone would believe that crap!  People who are ill, especially children, need help, kindness, and reassurance.  Blaming the patient is just wrong!

You're not a masochist.  It looks like a great board for very interesting discussions.  But, I am not at a place right now where I can enjoy that kind of thing.  Maybe later in the year when I have more time and am getting enough sleep.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
LightLizard

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 05:59:13 PM »

i hear you Black, and i totally understand your position. i often take breaks from that board, as it just gets to be too much after awhile.

love

~LL~
LightLizard

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 07:01:32 PM »

and by the way Black, what you posted on chopra.com when you were there was absolutely perfect!
i stay in the battle because i know there are many who read that site are looking for support and are too shy to post because they don't want to be told that their condition is their fault.
those that preach that nonsense need to be set straight. i invited them here, so they could try their stupidity on this site, but they don't have the guts to come here, they know they would be trashed.
and so they should.
;)

love'n'laffs

~LL~
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 08:05:45 PM »

and by the way Black, what you posted on chopra.com when you were there was absolutely perfect!...

:lol;  :2thumbsup; Thanks, glad to know I was of help. 

... i stay in the battle because i know there are many who read that site are looking for support and are too shy to post because they don't want to be told that their condition is their fault.
those that preach that nonsense need to be set straight. i invited them here, so they could try their stupidity on this site, but they don't have the guts to come here, they know they would be trashed.
and so they should.
 ;)

love'n'laffs

~LL~

You're doing a great service and helping those silenced find their voice. :2thumbsup; 

The others may not be trashed but they would certainly learn a lot about real life here.

Control freaks who think they can control everything are some of my least favorite people.  I love the John Wayne quote, "Life is tough.  Life is tougher if you're stupid."  Refusing to recognize that life is tough and often beyond your control is stupid.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
keefer51

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 08:27:26 PM »

I feel that people that think you can heal your body with your mind did too much acid in the seventies. I don't believe it for one minute. I know some illness can be cured by diet. But to say kidney disease is the persons fault is ridiculous. I think it was 1973, someone started to hand out bad acid and these idiots did more than their share.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 02:56:40 AM »

Hmmm dont know whats wrong , was all set to do battle and it wont let me register.Is it because its set up for USA address?

Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 03:05:47 AM »

Total Bollocks! I wouldn't even waste time going onto their website. Although these people may be very nice and sincere in their beliefs, lets make no bones about it, they are totally delusional and whats more they're probably nuts. I myself would rather spend my rather limited time reading and posting to this website  than wasting time trying to argue with that kind of drivel. :rant;
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 03:19:09 AM by Ken Shelmerdine » Logged

Ken
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 07:59:45 AM »

How does the theory that negative thoughts cause illness account for the role of genes, nutrition, accidental injuries, environmental pollutants, or permanent damage caused by severe viral or baterial infections in causing illness?  Surely our thoughts cannot make these phenomena materialize out of thin air?  The fact that many infants are born seriously ill, or that comatose people thinking no thoughts at all develop further somatic illnesses, clearly demonstrates that illness can arise in the absence of any thought.  And even if you grant the absurd hypothesis that negative thoughts cause illness, then that does not necessarily mean that positive thoughts can cure illness once the damage is done!  If someone's negative thoughts cause him to develop cancer in his leg, which then spontaneously amputates becauseo f the disease, his suddenly thinking positive thoughts will not make a new leg grow back, as though he were a chameleon!  Nor will they make a dead kidney spring back to life.
LightLizard

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 09:54:17 AM »

How does the theory that negative thoughts cause illness account for the role of genes, nutrition, accidental injuries, environmental pollutants, or permanent damage caused by severe viral or baterial infections in causing illness?  Surely our thoughts cannot make these phenomena materialize out of thin air?  The fact that many infants are born seriously ill, or that comatose people thinking no thoughts at all develop further somatic illnesses, clearly demonstrates that illness can arise in the absence of any thought.  And even if you grant the absurd hypothesis that negative thoughts cause illness, then that does not necessarily mean that positive thoughts can cure illness once the damage is done!  If someone's negative thoughts cause him to develop cancer in his leg, which then spontaneously amputates becauseo f the disease, his suddenly thinking positive thoughts will not make a new leg grow back, as though he were a chameleon!  Nor will they make a dead kidney spring back to life.

:clap; :clap; :clap;
LightLizard

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 01:27:30 PM »

Hmmm dont know whats wrong , was all set to do battle and it wont let me register.Is it because its set up for USA address?

there  are a number of problems with that board, besides registration difficulies, there is no effective monitoring, so the arguments can get out of hand, sometimes. the disabling of the PM feature also robbed people of a way to work out issues behind the scenes, and it shows.
there is a spam program that has invaded the 'off topic' area, and software glitches that have been mostly ignored by the admin.
there's always an 'error' message that comes up after posting something.
if it wasn't for the name that chopra has, nobody would bother with it.
it's like fly-paper for loonies and woo-woo's.
 :urcrazy;
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 05:48:23 PM »

thank you both. those are pretty much my thoughts on the matter too. until one has walked the walk, there's only talk. and we all know how cheap that can be...

if you want to join in the fun, you can register here, http://www.chopra.com/Discussion/default.asp put on your hip waders, first!
;)
 :urcrazy;
love

~LL~

Hey.... if Oprah married Deepak Chopra she'd be Oprah Chopra!

Sorry............... :urcrazy; :urcrazy;

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Bear

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 06:05:21 PM »

Many of them support and believe the premise that any condition of the body, any illness, chronic or not, can be healed by oneself

I know what _I_ would say....but in respect tp the late lamented Epoman's rules on swearing, I won't say it here!!   :oops;

waves...Bear
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »