I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:25:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  How did you feel after your fistula surgery?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How did you feel after your fistula surgery?  (Read 8178 times)
poohkari

Wade and I.

« on: July 17, 2007, 12:55:57 PM »

I'm trying to figure out what to expect  - Wade should be home in a few hours from getting his fistula. How did you all feel? I assume he's going to be tired and hungry, but what else should I be prepared for?

Girlfriend of Wade, on dialysis since 5/11/07 and NxStage since 8/20/07. We're hoping for a transplant as soon as his "FGP" is gone!
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 01:39:58 PM »

Well, he just walked in the door - I guess the medicine has made him loopy, because the first thing he did when he got here was cop a feel ... Typical Wade!

Girlfriend of Wade, on dialysis since 5/11/07 and NxStage since 8/20/07. We're hoping for a transplant as soon as his "FGP" is gone!
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 02:50:10 PM »

Expect him to be in alot of pain.  Let him sit and relax.  Also, have ice packs for him, it will reduce the swelling and help with pain.

Good luck.  Hope he feels good soon. 

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 03:49:32 PM »

Mine did not hurt much at all. Don't forget to exercise the hand once you get the OK from the doctor, it makes the fistula nice and big.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 03:51:21 PM »

Well, he just walked in the door - I guess the medicine has made him loopy, because the first thing he did when he got here was cop a feel ... Typical Wade!

Woohoo  :yahoo;, lol, glad he is doing good, keep us posted OK  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 04:20:49 PM »

Sounds perfectly normal to me and considering his conduct I'm wondering if he and I could be related.  Best of luck to both of you!
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 06:38:01 PM »

read the posts above this one "bad fistula what next" it will tell you about mine and others....Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 11:21:08 PM »

Elevate the arm to reduce swelling and ice it.  Tylenol or whatever the doctor gave as pain pills when he needs it.  An occasional cup of tea and some loving works too.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 04:24:38 PM »

He'll feel worse in a bit when the drugs start to wear off.  Don't let him "be brave" and try to hold off the meds.  He needs to stay ahead of the pain.  Remind him that the pain will take energy that he needs to use to heal.

Keep plenty of pillows around to prop up his arm, remember that the drugs will make him groggy and possibly cranky, and make sure you both get some rest!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

keefer51

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 07:50:07 PM »

I had three fistulas. Two that didn't take and one that i use now. After each surgery i was in allot of pain. After the pain pills ran out my arm felt better. The first couple of times i used the rubber ball they gave me it hurt but i kept doing it and it started to work. You should feel the "thrill" right away. Mine took around 3 months to mature.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 11:49:23 AM »

He's, as always, suprising me! He's feeling great, not complaining at all, and doing wonderfully. He's not even icing it or elevating it, he said it just feels annoying, but nothing major.  Last night we took the bandage off and were amazed at the stitch job and how small the incision was. He's not bothered by the "thrill" anymore, and we're both thinking its pretty cool! The ony time he's looked uncomfortable was after dialysis on Wednesday - his pain meds got dialyzed out so he wasn't lookin so hot!

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 02:17:46 PM »

That's great news Kari, just make sure he remembers to exercise his hand on his ball  :o  (let me rephrase that)  on his RUBBER ball that is  ;D ;)

www.kidneyoogle.com
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 03:23:47 PM »

That's great news Kari, just make sure he remembers to exercise his hand on his ball  :o  (let me rephrase that)  on his RUBBER ball that is  ;D ;)

Figuring Wade, he's getting PLENTY of hand-on-ball exercise!  :o

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 05:27:40 PM »

Figuring Wade, he's getting PLENTY of hand-on-ball exercise!  :o

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; Glad to hear it (i think)  :P

www.kidneyoogle.com
Razman

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 05:33:10 PM »

Right, typical guy.  Now he's going to say its part of his exercise routine !!!
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 07:18:56 PM »

Ugh, I don't even want to know/think about it!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »