I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 11:25:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Teens and young adults
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Teens and young adults  (Read 5950 times)
hyperlite

« on: March 27, 2006, 08:30:13 AM »

I was looking around on the internet to see if I could find any sites where teens or young adults could share experiences with being on dialysis at a young age. I couldn't find anything, so I decided to post here. I'm not sure if there are any other "younger" people that post here, but if there are, what is dialysis like for you? How does it affect things like school, part-time jobs, friends, sports, free-time...etc?
I guess I'm not a teenager anymore (just turned 20) but I'm still in school, looking for a summer job that will work around my dialysis schedule. I'm pretty active in sports such as hockey, soccer, skiing, wakeboarding just to name a few. All of my friends know about my dialysis treatments, but I'd say that most of them don't really understand what it's all about. They just know that I'm "busy" mondays, wednesdays and friday nights.

so to all of the other "kids" out there, post your experiences!
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 06:11:10 PM »

I don't know where you can find one, but that sounds like a great message board/website idea.   :)

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 09:16:03 PM »

I was looking around on the internet to see if I could find any sites where teens or young adults could share experiences with being on dialysis at a young age. I couldn't find anything, so I decided to post here. I'm not sure if there are any other "younger" people that post here, but if there are, what is dialysis like for you? How does it affect things like school, part-time jobs, friends, sports, free-time...etc?
I guess I'm not a teenager anymore (just turned 20) but I'm still in school, looking for a summer job that will work around my dialysis schedule. I'm pretty active in sports such as hockey, soccer, skiing, wakeboarding just to name a few. All of my friends know about my dialysis treatments, but I'd say that most of them don't really understand what it's all about. They just know that I'm "busy" mondays, wednesdays and friday nights.

so to all of the other "kids" out there, post your experiences!

This is a very good idea Hyperlite, I wonder if a young adult or under 18 section would be popular enough to warrant it's own section. When you say young adult how old is the cut-off? For example 18, 21, 25. Other members speak up if we need a section like this.

- Epoman

P.S. Hyperlite check your P.M.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
hyperlite

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 07:11:20 AM »

I'd say that a "young adult" would be anyone under 30. As for an entire section devoted to this. It doesn't seem to me that there are many "young adults" that post on this website. So I guess until we get a little more, I would just leave it to this thread.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 07:13:11 AM »

I'd say that a "young adult" would be anyone under 30. As for an entire section devoted to this. It doesn't seem to me that there are many "young adults" that post on this website. So I guess until we get a little more, I would just leave it to this thread.

Damn I miss the "Cut off", I'm 34.  :-\

:)

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 07:54:59 AM »

Aw shucks!!!  I just missed it too.   I'm only 56 ::)

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
fireguy

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 12:45:43 PM »

Had to check birth date. Guessed I missed it to. 30 eh
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 06:14:13 PM »

Try www.mykidney.com  This is a page written about and by a young lady.

Katherine
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 10:00:21 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 10:13:11 PM »

Try www.mykidbey,com  This is a page written about and by a young lady.

Katherine

That link does not work  ::) please fix the link (you have a comma instead of a dot and you put a "b" instead of a "n"). AND the site is mykidney.com not mykidbey.com  ::) this is a PERFECT example of why I tell you guys to check your posts before you hit submit.  >:( I mean why bother posting a reply at all if you are not going to give accurate information.  ???

- Epoman
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 10:15:31 PM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 07:54:37 PM »

Mea Culpa! And I checked the damned thing twice.  100 lashes with a wet noodle to me!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 09:59:50 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 07:56:37 PM »

Dang it! It was supposed to be lashes.  Can't figure out how to correct it to edit it.  Sorry!  I am really tired tonight.  I will not mind if you edit it for me.

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 08:14:04 PM »

Look above your words "tired tonight" and you will see a modify button.  It has saved me many times.   ;D

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 10:01:26 PM »

Give me six days in the hospital and I get back to fix it finally!  I hope we all be' >:Ds happy now! LOL

lifenotonthelist.com

Naggy6

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 07:36:41 AM »

I was a young adult way back when I first started  :o but not any more. I don't mind so much though. If it helps to let you know I didn't really let it get in my way back then. I wasn't always up to doing thing after dialysis but I didn't really have any choice as I had three small children. When you have small children they just don't really understand as much about we will do kid things later. So I think some times that was a good thing I think it was what kept me going a lot of the time.

My father was younger then so he would baby sit while I went to dialysis in the mornings then I would come home and take kids out the beach or the park or what ever the plan was for the day. The kids were 3,5 and 7 years old at the time.

I think they adjusted pretty well though. They are now 20,23 and 25 dialysis is just another part of their life. I don't know if you think it may be of any help to talk to any of them. I don't know if they could give you any in site to what it may be like from the outside looking in at that age.

If you would like to talk to one of them my middle child would be the best one to talk to. I could let her know to go on the site. She may actually like to go on the site any way once I tell her about it. She has been away at school and I haven't told her about this site yet. I'm sure when she hears about it she will be interested. She is always very supportive of me and any thing to do with my dialysis. :D

Isn't it nice to go where every body knows your name.
Michelle

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 02:42:14 PM »

Hiya I have only just seen this as been keeping away from the net alot as my head has been all over the place and I haven't been coping too well.
Anyway back to the query in the UK there is the Young person's group run in conjunction with the NKF which has the age range of 0-40. It was set up by a young lady who is sadly no longer with us and I agreed to help her in any way I can and for while I worked alongside her in running the group and her friendship as another renal patient of my age was so important to me. I left around a year ago for personal reasons but its still going so if anyone is in the UK and wants a read here is the link:

http://www.kidney.org.uk/ypg/index.html
kevno

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 03:54:27 PM »

I know the site, Steve form Manchester came to me, most be over two years now to help with any ideas I may have had. I have never liked the idea of spitting renal patients into groups.  We all have experiences to share, young and old. Like I started haemo at the age of Ten. The site was for the under 40's I think. Lost all interest with the NKF. Sometime ago, do have a quick look at the bulletin Board now and again.  But have not posted on it since I found this site. There is a lot more feeling for each other on this board.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »