I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:14:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant and Tattoos
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant and Tattoos  (Read 24196 times)
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« on: July 11, 2007, 12:20:21 AM »

My brother and I are having our transplant surgery in 3 weeks.  I wanted to get a tattoo remembering the date and an appreciation to my brother.  Question is, after transplant, can you get a tattoo?

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 01:18:46 AM »

I couldnt say for sure , but i have one i had pre-dialysis and one i got after i started dialysis. When i went for the second one , the guy i go to was brilliant and very concerned that i did dialysis. He thought i did hemo and said a small amount of the ink would enter my blood stream , so advised against having one .When i explained i did pd he said it wouldnt be so bad. In all honesty i would wait a while, let things settle (not worth the risk!) There is plenty of time in the future for one, its something you will always remember! Make sure you find a good clean artist when you do decide, and most of all ..Good luck with the transplant !!!!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Roxy

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:29:20 AM »

I would ask your doctors, but my doctors told me I would have to wait a year if I ever wanted to get a tattoo.
George Jung

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 10:10:48 AM »

I have also been wondering about the answer similar to this question. 

Any reason why one should not have tattoo work done while on hemo?

Any reason a tattoo would have an effect on receiving a transplant?

Why would a small amount of ink entering the blood be an issue for a hemo patient?

If a doctor tells you that you must wait a year after a tattoo for a transplant how do they know when you had the tattoo done?
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 10:56:34 AM »

GJ ..dont know about all the questions , just my tatt said if i was on hemo , ink in the blood could alter blood test results. Trouble is , if doctors dont like tattoo's they wont encourage you to get one!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 11:37:37 AM »

I met a guy on a website who is a tattoo artist - he got a kidney transplant last year from another tattoo artist he met online. http://www.tattooartists.com/tattooforum/general-chat/1508-kidney-transplant-may-4th.html
You could probably go to his website and post a question on the contact page http://www.egonetattoo.com/.

As you know, you are at greater risk for infection when on immunosuppressants.

If you are on blood thinning drugs like warfarin and *maybe* something like heparin, it might be an issue. Talk with a doctor too regarding the drugs you're taking.

There is info here for hemodialysis patients, but would also apply regarding piercings and tattoos in general: http://www.kidney.org/atoz/atozItem.cfm?id=80
basically saying:

You may have an increased chance of getting hepatitis B, hepatitis C, or HIV if you:

* have sex with an infected person
    * inject illegal drugs
    * live with an infected person and share items such as razors and toothbrushes with the person
    * have been exposed to sharp instruments contaminated with infected blood, such as needles used for tattooing, body piercing and acupuncture (these needles should be carefully cleaned and disinfected before use, or disposable needles should be used)
    * have hemophilia
    * are a patient or work in a home for the developmentally disabled
    * your parents were born in Southeast Asia, Africa, the Amazon Basin in South America, the Pacific Islands or the Middle East.

The following steps can help to prevent exposure:

* do not inject illegal drugs
    * do not share toothbrushes, razors or other personal care articles that might have infected blood on them
    * follow safe sex guidelines
    * if you are considering getting tattoos or body piercing, make sure the tattoo artist or piercer follows good health practices such as washing hands and using disposable gloves

and having said that, here's a news article from last year:

Superbug Infects Tattoo Customers
Mike Stobbe, Associated Press

June 23, 2006—A worrisome superbug seen in prisoners and athletes is also showing up in people who get illegal tattoos, federal health officials said Thursday.

Forty-four tattoo customers in Ohio, Kentucky and Vermont developed skin infections caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The infections occurred in 2004 and 2005, and were traced to 13 unlicensed tattoo artists, according to an article in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

These are the first documented cases if tattoo-related MRSA infections, said Dr. Mysheika LeMaile-Williams, a CDC infectious disease investigator who co-authored the report.

MRSA is an antibiotic-resistant bacteria that fights off the body's immune system and destroys tissues. The community-associated variety, seen in the tattoo infections, has been diagnosed in otherwise healthy athletes, military recruits and prison inmates.

The skin infections can be transmitted from person to person by contact with draining sores, or through contact with contaminated items or surfaces.

MRSA generally causes mild skin infections, but in some cases has led to pneumonia, bloodstream infections, and a painful, flesh-destroying condition called necrotizing fasciitis.

Clusters of MRSA cases were seen in Ohio in June 2004, November 2004 and April 2005, involving 33 people. A four-person cluster was reported in Kentucky in May 2005 and a seven-person cluster was in Vermont in August.

Four of the patients were hospitalized, but all recovered, LeMaile-Williams said.

Ohio, Kentucky and Vermont require licensing for tattoo artists, but all the affected customers went to unlicensed artists. Instead of doing the work in tattoo parlors, the body art was done in the homes of the tattooists or the recipients, or even in public places such as a park.

The tattooists sometimes did not use masks or gloves, did not properly disinfect skin and did not properly clean the equipment. One Ohio tattooist used a homemade tattoo gun made from a computer ink-jet cartridge and guitar strings, LeMaile-Williams said.

Three of the Ohio tattooists had recently been jailed, she said. Customers sometimes seek out unlicensed tattooists because their services are less expensive, or because they are younger than 18 and cannot go to a licensed tattooist without parental consent, she said.

Several of the infected patients were under 18, she added.
The tattoo cases are not surprising, said Dr. Kate Heilpern, an Atlanta emergency room physician and Emory University researcher who has studied MRSA.

The superbug is appearing in locker rooms, homes and many other unsterile places where people are in skin-to-skin contact.

"We are still riding a big wave of this bacterial infection and I really don't see any end in sight," she said.

----------------------------------------

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Roxy

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 12:28:45 PM »

George...I'm sorry if my post was unclear. My doctors said that I would have to wait a year after my transplant to get a tattoo.
rimbo74

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 09:21:42 PM »

Thanks for everybody's response.  Looks like I will impatiently wait for a year or two.   :clap;

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 10:29:36 PM »

In the meantime, you can entertain yourself with these -

http://www.beldecal.com/tattoo_paper.cfm

Think of the fun you could have. . . ;D

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 12:08:14 AM »

This was a question I've been wondering about, also. I have tattoos that are many years old, and have always wanted to add more (which I never quite got around to).

I did ask another one of my kidney forums, and no one was really sure, but one person did say to keep in mind the fact that tx patients often do have skin problems somewhere along the line, and that may affect what the tattoo looks like in future. So that's worth considering also.

No one in their right mind would go to an unlicensed tattoo artist (I would hope), so all needles should be either disposable or sterile, and their other practices all clean as well. Heck, I think I'll just travel back to my home town and track down the same tattooist I went to all those years ago, I'm pretty sure he's still there. He's a good artist and he has good practices.
rimbo74

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 07:10:08 PM »

Thats funny Jbeany, I may just get one of those.  I'm with you cycobully, I have a sun on my back shoulder that I've been wanting to add to.  I really want to get this tattoo.  Both my brother and I are going to get it on our shoulders.  It's a chain link - meaning unity.  In the middle of one link will have the chinese symbol for older brother (my brother Paul), the other link will have the chinese symbol for younger brother (me - hee hee).  Underneath the chain link will be the date of the transplant, either format - 073107, 07-31-07, 07.31.07.

I cant wait!!!   :2thumbsup;

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 09:17:36 AM »

Interesting that you say that. My husband also has a sun on his back shoulder.  :)
rimbo74

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 09:35:58 AM »

Then he must be a really cool guy!   :2thumbsup;

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 01:49:30 PM »

I have had two transplants and two tattoos. I got the tattoos about 15 years after the first transplant and about 6 years before the second one and am currently on the list for a third transplant. One has never affected the other. As others have mentioned, the immunosuppressant drugs can be an issue, but if you go to a licensed artist, you shouldn't have too many worries.

Cyco, what that person may have meant about the skin problems is that because your immune system is suppressed, you're more likely to develop skin cancer than someone in the general population.  Also, I think some of the drugs may also make our skin look a little dried out after many years of being on them.

Anyway, rimbo, the tat that you and your brother are talking about sounds really cool! Best of luck with everything.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 12:06:46 PM »

Wade's hoping to get tattooed this weekend. Hes on hemo, and heparin, but was going to check with the doctor today at dialysis.

The tattoo artist who started Wade's sleeve on his forearm (not fistula arm, thank god!) is based out of upstate NY, but just so happens to be in Virginia this weekend! This is really Wade's best chance of getting his piece finished, so we're hoping it is possible! Once we get the word from his doctor, I will let you all know!

Plus, if he gets a new tattoo, I can get one too!

Girlfriend of Wade, on dialysis since 5/11/07 and NxStage since 8/20/07. We're hoping for a transplant as soon as his "FGP" is gone!
rimbo74

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 02:49:14 PM »

Here is a computer generated picture of our tattoo that my brother and I will be getting.  The links means unity, chinese symbol on the left is "Big Brother", Chinese symbol on the right is "Little Brother", and our transplant date.  We are going to try and find a good artist to make the links appear metal and life like.

George Jung

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 03:57:35 PM »

rimbo, It would be cool if you guys could have the date tattooed in the common space the two links share instead of underneath it (the area that is common for both links/circles).  Just a thought.  Anyhow I like what you two are planning.  I would defiantly have something done myself if that date were to come for me.
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 04:18:42 PM »

Rimbo, i love that design, its great.  :thumbup;

Stu

Oooooooh yeah!

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »

This is an issue my wife and I discussed a lot. When I was first diagnored with ESRD, we talked about both getting tattoos after I had got "a bit better", as a sort of bonding thing.

That was ten years ago, my wife got hers, I never got around to getting mine. I guess after having been on and off of haemo for the last ten years, I don't really need anybody else sticking me with a needle.  :o

I would also guess that it was probably best to avoid breaking the skin any more than I have to now that I have a working transplant. I'm not taking any risks of losing this one!

47 Fluid Control Suggestions for Dialysis Patients
Haemo 3 x a week, Ico bags overnight
Joker, smoker, midnight toker....
Tweet me at @AngryDXGuy if you dare
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 11:53:22 PM »

I would also guess that it was probably best to avoid breaking the skin any more than I have to now that I have a working transplant. I'm not taking any risks of losing this one!

This was the one thing that concerned me. I still havent completely decided, but I feel that I may never get any more tattoos for this reason. I did want to get some more work, but I'm just not sure that it's the ideal choice for me. I'll have to think about it some more. And if I do, I would travel back to my home town (Mildura) and go back to the artist that did all my other work.
st789

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 10:10:20 PM »

That is a cool chinese symbol. 
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 10:53:44 PM »

chinese symbol on the left is "Big Brother", Chinese symbol on the right is "Little Brother", and our transplant date. 

So which of you is the "big brother" and which is the "little brother"?
rimbo74

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 07:02:34 AM »

Im the younger brother.  My brother is 2 1/2 yr older than I am.   :thumbup;

keefer51

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 09:08:52 PM »

I have a friend who i met at my dialysis center. He received his fourth kidney transplant last year. He now lives in another state. He is covered in tats from his neck to his feet. They are the most beautiful tats i have seen. He has had kidney disease since he was  a kid. I met him when he was in his late twenties. From what he told me he got a tattoo when ever he felt like it. The graph he had in his arm was hard to see with all the tats. He and i were quite a pair he in his twenties and me in my fifties. He alway tried to talk me into getting one but then i didn't like needles. Now, however...

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 12:22:32 PM »

I have a friend who i met at my dialysis center. He received his fourth kidney transplant last year. He now lives in another state. He is covered in tats from his neck to his feet. They are the most beautiful tats i have seen. He has had kidney disease since he was  a kid. I met him when he was in his late twenties. From what he told me he got a tattoo when ever he felt like it. The graph he had in his arm was hard to see with all the tats. He and i were quite a pair he in his twenties and me in my fifties. He alway tried to talk me into getting one but then i didn't like needles. Now, however...

He sounds like Wade and his friends!

I've realized that it's a totally different thing - tattoos and needle pricks. I HATE needles, but can deal with getting tattooed! Go get one!

Girlfriend of Wade, on dialysis since 5/11/07 and NxStage since 8/20/07. We're hoping for a transplant as soon as his "FGP" is gone!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »