I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:41:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Man donates kidney to his fiancée
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man donates kidney to his fiancée  (Read 1882 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: July 07, 2007, 02:56:14 PM »

Article published Jul 7, 2007

Man donates kidney to his fiancée

By Luis Hernandez
Staff writer

Amy Mason lost a $20 bet, but she gained a kidney.

Mike Zuch, Mason's fiancé, was first to recover and visited her room after the lengthy surgery to transplant one of his kidneys to her.

"He left me a note that said: 'I was here first. Pay up,'" Mason said. The two agreed to the who-can-recover-faster wager before going in for the transplant surgery.

And just so she wouldn't forget, nurses at the hospital kept reminding her.

"It's OK," she said.

So is the couple almost three weeks after the June 20 transplant surgery performed in Los Angeles. They said their recovery is coming along fine, with Mason feeling better than ever while Zuch is wishing to return to work soon.

Mason said her lab test results and blood work are excellent.

"His kidney is almost like two of mine," she said. "I feel great."

Mason said she still has weekly doctor visits and is taking plenty of medication. But if things continue to go well, trips to the doctor and medication will be reduced.

Zuch said he is fully recovered from the surgery and wants to return as a heavy equipment operator at J.D. Heiskell's Pixley plant.

"I am bored," he said. "I am ready to go back."

Zuch said he has four more weeks of work leave. But at a doctor's appointment next week, he'll ask to get back sooner.

Zuch said he decided to donate his kidney after learning they match on four of six genes. Mason had been in and out of hospitals since age 8 with kidney problems. She also had two previous kidney transplants that failed.

Zuch said his motivation to volunteer for the transplant was because he didn't want his fiancée to continue dealing with kidney-related illnesses.

"She's gone through so much," he said.

Mason calls Zuch her hero; he just shrugs.

"The doctor told me I was saving her life," he said. "But I preferred not to look at it that way. I just wanted to make it a little easier for her."

Never having a surgery before, Zuch said he was a little scared about the surgery, but put his fears in the back of his mind.

"I just kind of blocked it out," he said.

A little pain every now and then reminds Zuch about the recent surgery.

The couple's surgery was filmed and will be part of an upcoming documentary on the Discovery Channel, though air time is yet to be announced.

The documentary also seeks to increase awareness about organ donation. There are 60,000 on waiting lists, but only 15,000 surgeries are performed.

Zuch said he's a believer in the process.

"It's not as bad you think it's going to be," he said. "You'll have good doctors taking care of you. The transplant won't be approved unless you pass the tests."

Zuch said he is thankful to surgeons Dr. Hamid Shidbane and Dr. Robert Aranghi, the St. Vincent Medical Center, the Kidney Acquisition Fund and their donor coordinator Rob Worthington. Mason said she is thankful to her Pastor Mike Maxedon, and his wife, Tina.

The experience has brought the couple even closer. They plan to marry in the near future.

"I love him so much," said she, reaching for a tissue to wipe away tears. "I wish I could describe how I feel. Words can't describe it. It feels stupid saying thank you."

The reporter can be reached at lhernand@visalia.gannett.com.

http://www.tulareadvanceregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070707/NEWS01/707070310&template=printart

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 06:58:24 PM »

Good for him, and i hope she finally has paid him for losing the bet (and then something a little extra for the kidney too) ;) ;)  ::)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 08:32:33 AM »

Now she will dump him.... just kidding  >:D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »