I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:53:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  New and Need A Fast Education
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New and Need A Fast Education  (Read 3537 times)
Niecy

« on: March 22, 2006, 03:28:15 PM »

Hi Everyone,

My aunt recently started hemodialysis after having declining kidney function for some time probably due to long-standing high BP.  Although I was trained as a nurse 18 years ago, I find my knowledge of what she's going through minuscule.  Any books you can recommend that would help me to learn about the various things she has to learn.  Where can I find out about more than just the basics.  You have already taught me so much just reading your posts - especially your frustrations.  I should add that I am no longer working in the medical field due to a back problem.  I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks, Niecy

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 03:34:27 PM »

Hi Niecy,

Glad you have found this site helpful.  I like the DaVita website for information.  www.davita.com  they especially have a good explanation of the lab work (blood work).  I have not read any "books" about dialysis.  We'll see what other members can come up with. 

Glad to have you as a member.  Tell you Aunt to join too.  She is the one "hooked up."   ::)

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 05:00:33 PM »

Welcome, Niecy!
I would say that if you take the time to read up ALL the posts from the very beginning, especially in FAQ and General Discussion, you are going to find lots that can help and educate.  It certainly did that for me.  And if there is something not covered, or not covered to your satisfaction, just ask a question.
I am so impressed with this site and I relied on it very much from the moment I joined last September.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Ginger

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 11:53:22 AM »

Hi Neicy,
The book 'Handbook of Dialysis' by John T. Daugirdas, et al, contains everything you ever wanted to know about dialysis. The Oxford Handbook of Dialysis is also good and easier to read but I think the Daugirdas book is more complete.  I have both. I am also a nurse and did not know much about kidneys until I was diagnosed with PKD. My expertise is in orthopaedic nursing. Since my diagnosis and beginning peritoneal dialysis, I have learned more about kidneys than I ever wanted to know. Good reading!!    Ginger
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 02:25:23 PM »

Hi Everyone,

My aunt recently started hemodialysis after having declining kidney function for some time probably due to long-standing high BP.  Although I was trained as a nurse 18 years ago, I find my knowledge of what she's going through minuscule.  Any books you can recommend that would help me to learn about the various things she has to learn.  Where can I find out about more than just the basics.  You have already taught me so much just reading your posts - especially your frustrations.  I should add that I am no longer working in the medical field due to a back problem.  I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks, Niecy

Welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy it and find it helpfull. I ask that you reply often to others posts to help them find answers or just listen to a fellow person in the same situation as yourself. There is a lot of information you can find HERE by just reading the posts, and the great thing is you are learning from actual patients, not from a textbook written by someone who has studied Kidney Failure but never actually BEEN on dialysis. Once again welcome to the site.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 08:22:50 PM »

I was given a book by the hospital when all the dialysis came down on me

When Your Kidneys Fail by Mickie Hall Farris MPH,MBA

Put out by the National Kidney Foundation.  I once saw a copy in a used bookstore.

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Naggy6

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 06:43:09 AM »

Hi Niecy

Another good book to read is The Bottom of the Ninth by Ed Hearn. Ed Hearn played baseball for the New York Mets back in 1986 when they beat out the Red Sox in the World Series.

He has had three transplants, the last one still working. His book doesn't explain dialysis, it's not that kind of book. It is his life story.

Isn't it nice to go where every body knows your name.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »