I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 10:21:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Odd Treatment
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Odd Treatment  (Read 5715 times)
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« on: July 03, 2007, 11:51:35 AM »

I've been keeping up with a friend's medical issues here at work and heard about a treatment today that I've never heard of before. 

As background, this person has had some level of renal failure for several years.  He is not on dialysis and is likely a long way from there now.  The cause of his renal issue was not known until recently.  He's been treated in the past with Zestril and high dose Prednisone.

His neph has diagnosed an autoimmune disorder which from what I've been able to find is probably IgA nephropathy.  The doc is planning to put him on a drug "cocktail" that includes steroids and a treatment to clear toxins from the body.  Now this treatment is NOT dialysis and it sounds very unconventional.  It supposedly consists of a foot bath through which toxins are drawn out of the body through the feet.

Yes I know what you are thinking.  This is the craziest treatment you've heard of.  Thats what I thought too.  The doc involved is a board certified nephrologist and practices in conjunction with a well known medical center here in Los Angeles.

After this treatment was mentioned my first question was how much it was going to cost.  Of course this all sounds like high priced snake oil...the answer was about $40 in the office or at home.

So...and I think I already know the answer...has anyone heard of such a treatment before especially in relation to kidney failure? 

angellady07

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:38:38 PM »

No, I haven't. I hope it works for your friend. It does sound quite odd to me.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 12:56:47 PM »

Not that treatment but ..i have seen a company that sells ( i cant remember if its something to add to water or some sort of pads?) that either way you put on your feet and it supposed to draw toxins out of your body. In the same breath a doctor was on the show , saying what a load of rubbish ! So maybe there is something in it ? It would be good to know what the outcome is ? An alternative to dialysis if developed ?

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
silverhead

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 06:44:57 PM »

My first thought is to be wary of something like this, but then I know that I have picked up a very harsh reaction to many chemicals, after working at Boeing with many exotic and dangerous chemicals, even waxing the car has to be done with latex gloves, have been washing and painting walls in the house and even cleaning compound  gives me "hive-like" outbreaks if I'm not careful, so if things can be so easily drawn into the body through the skin, why can't toxins be taken out the same way?.......
Keep us informed please.....

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 12:44:28 PM »

I've been keeping up with a friend's medical issues here at work and heard about a treatment today that I've never heard of before. 

As background, this person has had some level of renal failure for several years.  He is not on dialysis and is likely a long way from there now.  The cause of his renal issue was not known until recently.  He's been treated in the past with Zestril and high dose Prednisone.

His neph has diagnosed an autoimmune disorder which from what I've been able to find is probably IgA nephropathy.  The doc is planning to put him on a drug "cocktail" that includes steroids and a treatment to clear toxins from the body.  Now this treatment is NOT dialysis and it sounds very unconventional.  It supposedly consists of a foot bath through which toxins are drawn out of the body through the feet.

Yes I know what you are thinking.  This is the craziest treatment you've heard of.  Thats what I thought too.  The doc involved is a board certified nephrologist and practices in conjunction with a well known medical center here in Los Angeles.

After this treatment was mentioned my first question was how much it was going to cost.  Of course this all sounds like high priced snake oil...the answer was about $40 in the office or at home.

So...and I think I already know the answer...has anyone heard of such a treatment before especially in relation to kidney failure? 

You have to try to find out as much as you about this treatment!  It sounds intriguing. 

Dpnna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 05:21:57 PM »

I have heard of foot treatments to remove toxins but not with renal failure.  Interesting -- keep us posted!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
st789

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 06:00:29 PM »

If I can go back I would sure try this treatment before any freakin needle or catheter and other craps come with it.  Yep, my freakin kidneys fail because of IgA.
Chicken Little

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 08:42:01 PM »

I went to my podiatry center for a pedicure today.  The nurse told me that it's probably an Aqua Chi machine the doctor is using.  www.aquachifootbath.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 09:00:20 PM »

This has not been FDA approved at all and the engineering student, my daughter, says to watch out when combining electricity and water!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 09:15:04 PM »

Zap!    :(

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
st789

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 10:17:01 PM »

Did someone here mentioned electricity contacts with water?

Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 06:53:48 AM »

This has not been FDA approved at all and the engineering student, my daughter, says to watch out when combining electricity and water!

Having an electronics background myself this sounds a bit risky to me too.  Should something malfunction you may as well be sitting in a bathtub and toss in a plugged in hair dryer.  You would get the same results.  The built in GFI my pop before any damage is done, but that is no guarantee either.

It's not easy being green.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 08:28:20 AM »

Personally I have a hard time believing this thing would actually do anything of any benefit considering that the foot doesn't have the greatest amount of surface area or blood flow to it.

Also I highly doubt that the water turning milky white or brown is from toxins leaving the body either.   Sounds more like an interaction of the electricity  with the minerals and salt in the water to me.   I could not find on the site that they actually tested the water before or after treatment to tell what the composition change  happened to be.  I would think they would at the very least do this because then they could show that toxins were actually being released from the feet into the water. ???
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 10:01:19 AM »

Personally I have a hard time believing this thing would actually do anything of any benefit considering that the foot doesn't have the greatest amount of surface area or blood flow to it.

Also I highly doubt that the water turning milky white or brown is from toxins leaving the body either.   Sounds more like an interaction of the electricity  with the minerals and salt in the water to me.   I could not find on the site that they actually tested the water before or after treatment to tell what the composition change  happened to be.  I would think they would at the very least do this because then they could show that toxins were actually being released from the feet into the water. ???

Good points didn't think about any of that.

It's not easy being green.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 09:18:11 PM »

The topic of this thread makes me think of that weird "Road to Wellness" movie with Matthew Broderick. . . .

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 02:32:24 AM »

It might not be as far-fetched as it seems.  My brother told me once that soaking in the sea was a mini-dialysis.  When you think of it, after some hours in the sea, you can see your fingers wrinkled as if you have lost water.  Who knows?

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 06:03:11 AM »

Some medical texts call the skin 'the third kidney,' because the skin has a limited capacity to draw off toxins just the way the kidney does.  As a result of this phenomenon, in the days before dialysis, renal patients used to die covered in what was called 'uremic frost,' which was the layer of toxins which had filtered out through the skin and covered the body.

For years the Russians have treated many diseases by immersing patients in mud baths, which supposedly operate by drawing off toxins through stimulating the capacity of the skin to act as a renal filter.  Many people from the West still go to health spas in the Crimea and Causasus for this treatment.
Chicken Little

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 08:54:14 AM »

We excrete toxins through our sweat and I would guess that the Aqua Chi probably does pull something out. I'm not going to stick my feet in electrically charged water to find out though. 
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 04:07:43 PM »

The beach is going to see me much more - it's summer time!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

Chicken Little

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 04:18:49 PM »

And I bet those are some pretty beaches. 
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 12:48:16 AM »

And I bet those are some pretty beaches. 
They sure are - check out my Webshots albums - http://community.webshots.com/user/bajanne2000

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »