I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 09:29:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  I felt bad because of how I felt upon hearing of a bad accident...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I felt bad because of how I felt upon hearing of a bad accident...  (Read 4254 times)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« on: June 20, 2007, 09:05:05 AM »

Hi all,

I've been a little bit troubled recently. Not in a massive way or anything but I have thought about it from time to time so thought I'd post here and ask what everyone else thinks.

The other week there was a horrible accident here when a truck hit a train and I think 15 people died in the accident.

I was actually in the dialysis unit on the machine when the news came through.

What was my first thought?

I'm ashamed to say my very first thought was "gee, I wonder if there might be a kidney out of this?"

It was only quick before I considered the utter tragedy of the situation, how families would be grieving at lost family members, specially children and so on (incidently I understand one of the victims was on her way home FROM dialysis?!)...

Anyway I guess I have been feeling selfish because I thought of MYSELF (potentially) instead of anyone else and I didn't like that.

Perhaps because I've reccently been declined a living donor transplant and so my only real hope for a transplant is from a cavader donor - maybe that has a lot to do with it but I still feel a little uncomfortable that that was my reaction.

I did discuss how I felt with a nurse at the time and she was oh it's perfectly normal don't worry about it.. and a few others have said it's only natural and not to beat myself up about it...

I'm not beating myself up or anything but I still feel a little bad about thinking something like that.

Do others in a similar situation ever think like that if they hear about a big accident or something like that?

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:15:21 AM »

I think its only a natural reaction...of course you are a compassionate person, many of your posts show that you are a genuine guy.But your need for a kidney is a huge part of your life, whenever I see a helmetless motorcycle rider-I wonder if they will be donating a kidney......I don't wish them any harm really, I just want my husband to have a transplant. And he is not even on the list yet....but I still think it- then my brain says, 'darn it- thats mean' and I mentally apologize for being thoughless of that persons life. 

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 09:32:10 AM »

It's just an awareness patients on the list have -- seems natural to think that way to me. Sad, but unavoidable.
There's a big difference between wondering what will become of the deceased organs than there is from wishing someone would die so you can get a kidney.
The 2 times Jenna got called as back-up recipient for a transplant was on holiday weekends. That's when most accidental deaths occur. It's sad to say, but I always kept the pager and phone a little closer on holidays.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
tweetykiss

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 10:13:53 AM »

It's just an awareness patients on the list have -- seems natural to think that way to me. Sad, but unavoidable.
There's a big difference between wondering what will become of the deceased organs than there is from wishing someone would die so you can get a kidney.
The 2 times Jenna got called as back-up recipient for a transplant was on holiday weekends. That's when most accidental deaths occur. It's sad to say, but I always kept the pager and phone a little closer on holidays.

How long was she on the list?

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 10:31:55 AM »

3 years - would have been longer but fortunately a living donor offered!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
st789

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 10:37:29 AM »

WTF?  Bush did it again.

Nancy Reagan would not be happy about this.

I guess Bush has not experienced anyone close to him on the waiting list.
st789

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 10:58:51 AM »

Sorry, I mean to post on topic of Bush veto stem cell.
tweetykiss

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 11:12:07 AM »

3 years - would have been longer but fortunately a living donor offered!

That is even better......how are her labs?

tweetykiss

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 11:15:04 AM »

WTF?  Bush did it again.

Nancy Reagan would not be happy about this.

I guess Bush has not experienced anyone close to him on the waiting list.

This is still very funny and couldn't help but laugh.......

Guiness Book of World Records....."Laziest person to make the most money and known around the World"   George W. Bush.,.......

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 02:16:20 PM »

Okay back on topic.  You guys have to go find the stem cell topic.  :bandance;

I think your reaction says that you have a sense of humor about life, your disease and death. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 02:46:30 PM »

every time i see some moron fly buy on a "donor rocket" going 100 mph i always say "hope they have said they want to be a donor"..Don't beat yourself up we all have thought that at times

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 05:53:52 PM »

Don't feel bad Richardmel it's a dog eat dog world out there. They were already dead before you had the thought. Now if you were wishing that someone would hit that train and die so you might get a kidney that would be different. just my  :twocents;
pandabear

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 05:07:30 PM »

I work in a transplant center. I have to say, my first thought when I come in and see a donor packet of info on my desk is "Yippee!"

Then I quickly feel shameful because I didn't think of the donor's family in saying "Yippee!"

But I'm just so happy someone who has been through so much has been given a chance.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act."

Diabetic sister likely to need a kidney (and possibly a pancreas) in the near future... trying to stay healthy for her!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 08:30:08 AM »

Thanks everyone for your responses... even the Bush/Stem Cell one :)

I apprieciate what everyone has said and I feel I'm a good person.. I guess I was just shocked that it was the FIRST thing I thought of and well I hope I wouldn't be so selfish and just think of myself.

And no, I'd never wish anyone to die just for my (or someone else's) gain so I'm fairly sure my morals are OK in that dept.

so thanks :) I feel better now :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 04:56:45 PM »

If lighting struck everyone on the waiting list who has had a similar thought, there wouldn't be much of a list left.  :)
mmmmdeedee

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 08:01:11 PM »

I can't count how many times I thought the same thing when hearing of someone tragically passing away. I just hope that all the families are approached when one of their family members is on life support. I mean, it's a tough situation but if you don't ask.... I think after the shock is over and if it's explained in a calm and sympathetic way, I believe that most families would at least consider it. That's why it is sooo important to have your donor card filled out, your driver's license stickered, your family made aware of your thoughts on donation, or the donor website (in California at least) info filled out stating your preferences.

1st on dialysis: 1986
1st transplant: 1990
1st failure: 05/06
CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »