I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 09:28:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I have WAY too much time on my hands!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have WAY too much time on my hands!  (Read 7357 times)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« on: June 14, 2007, 05:17:55 PM »

I've combined my love of scale modeling with my dialysis. It's not done yet, but you get the idea.

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
tweetykiss

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 07:26:27 PM »

Adam, is that a scale model of your dialysis machine?  I think that is good work....it takes a very detailed mind to be able to do that.....you don't have too much time on your hands...you just don't like wasting time so you keep busy with this which says a lot more than for myself......reminds me I need to get back to my photography and writing as well as PSP......

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 07:41:01 PM »

It is a model of the machine I used to be on before I started NxStage. I actually started it several months ago, but it's been put on the "back burner" until recently. I'm building it out of plastic sheet, and the lines will be made of old guitar string. I'm trying to decide if I want to build it "in use", or stripped down. I suppose if I built it in use, I could use a G I Joe figure as the "patient"  :). I obviously don't like having to be on dialysis, but I have a great respect for those who have invented it and made it available, and I actually find the process and the equipment quite interesting. That's why I've started building this model. That's also why I want to be a dialysis technician when I'm able to work again.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)

tweetykiss

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 07:55:57 PM »

Thanks for explaining how you are making this.  I admire those who can made things since it shows a lot of talent and detail to attention.  I remember seeing your cruise ships on another thread and I love them.  Now what kind of glue do you use and how do you cut the plastic sheet?  Do you have a workshop in your house if I may ask since the type of work you do seems to use a lot of material?  A GI Joe would make for a good patient in your model.

I noticed you have had ESRD since january, that must have been hard for you...so you have been on dialysis that long.  How is Next Stage working out for you?  Do you like that better than in center?  I also have a lot of admiration and respect for the inventors of dialysis since now kidney patients can live.  Just think that Jean Harlow would have done more movies and lived to old age if they had dialysis then.

I hope you become a tech.  I know you will be good in it. 

Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 06:38:37 PM »

Thanks for explaining how you are making this.  I admire those who can made things since it shows a lot of talent and detail to attention.  I remember seeing your cruise ships on another thread and I love them.  Now what kind of glue do you use and how do you cut the plastic sheet?  Do you have a workshop in your house if I may ask since the type of work you do seems to use a lot of material?  A GI Joe would make for a good patient in your model.

I noticed you have had ESRD since january, that must have been hard for you...so you have been on dialysis that long.  How is Next Stage working out for you?  Do you like that better than in center?  I also have a lot of admiration and respect for the inventors of dialysis since now kidney patients can live.  Just think that Jean Harlow would have done more movies and lived to old age if they had dialysis then.

Thanks for the compliments. As for your questions, the glue I use is regular liquid plastic model cement, and I cut the plastic to it's rough shape with strong scissors (it's very thin plastic), then I trim it to the final shape and size with a knife. I don't really have a workshop, but I have plenty of space to work, and I have a couple boxes that I keep my modeling supplies in (some of the few boxes I have that don't contain dialysis supplies). As for NxStage, it has literally given me my life back. The difference between that little white machine (which still weighs 75 pounds and takes two people to carry) and in-centre is amazing. I didn't do well at all with in-centre treatments (see some of my posts from about two months ago), and I feel like I now have real freedom for the first time since that awful day in January when I found out I would be a "slave to the machine". Take care.

Adam

meadowlandsnj

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 05:23:33 PM »

Thanks for the compliments. As for your questions, the glue I use is regular liquid plastic model cement, and I cut the plastic to it's rough shape with strong scissors (it's very thin plastic), then I trim it to the final shape and size with a knife. I don't really have a workshop, but I have plenty of space to work, and I have a couple boxes that I keep my modeling supplies in (some of the few boxes I have that don't contain dialysis supplies). As for NxStage, it has literally given me my life back. The difference between that little white machine (which still weighs 75 pounds and takes two people to carry) and in-centre is amazing. I didn't do well at all with in-centre treatments (see some of my posts from about two months ago), and I feel like I now have real freedom for the first time since that awful day in January when I found out I would be a "slave to the machine". Take care.

Adam

You're very talented!  I don't have the patience to do things like that, it's really great, detailed work for you to do.
Just a heads up--if you buy materials from the Rag Show a chain of craft stores they're going out of business so everything is 50% off now.  I may go over there tomorrow to get some photo album books.
Great work!   :clap; :clap;

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
tweetykiss

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 05:49:10 PM »

Adam,

I will read you older posts.....I know what you mean by in-center treatments......do you have to stick your own needles with the next stage?  Also is there 24 hour help in case God forbid anything goes wrong?

You are quite welcome.......from what you describe you are very organized with your work......

Post some more pictures when you are done....

Come to chat sometimes too....

Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 08:24:15 PM »

I actually still use a catheter, until tomorrow when I start using my graft for the first time. I will be sticking it myself. My dad is also going to learn how to stick it, but he doesn't really want to. I do have 24hr support both from my centre, and directly from NxStage. I'm almost done with the Fresenius 2008H model, most of what I need to do now is painting, but I'm having trouble finding the correct "cream coloured" paint to match the colour of that particular machine. I may have to try mixing some different colours until I get the right one. I've also decided to model it "stripped down and powered off", mainly because I can't figure a good way to replicate a saline bag. I will post some more pictures when I'm finished. I'm already thinking about doing a 2008K and giving it to my centre to put on the reception desk (My centre uses the 2008K for the in-centre patients).

Adam
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 08:29:53 PM by Adam_W » Logged

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 08:34:13 PM »

Adam, have you tried polymer clay?  They make some very clear or translucent colors that would make good plastic saline bags.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 06:31:54 AM »

I've combined my love of scale modeling with my dialysis. It's not done yet, but you get the idea.

That is a very good roughed out 2008H.  I would love to see the finished project.  Great detail with the Blood and Heparin pumps.

It's not easy being green.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 01:17:29 PM »

It is a model of the machine I used to be on before I started NxStage. I actually started it several months ago, but it's been put on the "back burner" until recently. I'm building it out of plastic sheet, and the lines will be made of old guitar string. I'm trying to decide if I want to build it "in use", or stripped down. I suppose if I built it in use, I could use a G I Joe figure as the "patient:). I obviously don't like having to be on dialysis, but I have a great respect for those who have invented it and made it available, and I actually find the process and the equipment quite interesting. That's why I've started building this model. That's also why I want to be a dialysis technician when I'm able to work again.

Adam

Great work Adam, awesome in fact  :2thumbsup;  but instead of G.I.Joe as the patient, could you use Barbie? i hate that skinny bitch :P  ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 06:56:06 PM »

http://www.chilloutzone.de/files/player.swf?b=10&l=197&u=ILLUMllSOOAvIF//P_LxP92A42lCHCeeWCejXnHAS/c

Here is someone with WAY too much time on their hands!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 08:03:32 PM »

It is a model of the machine I used to be on before I started NxStage. I actually started it several months ago, but it's been put on the "back burner" until recently. I'm building it out of plastic sheet, and the lines will be made of old guitar string. I'm trying to decide if I want to build it "in use", or stripped down. I suppose if I built it in use, I could use a G I Joe figure as the "patient:). I obviously don't like having to be on dialysis, but I have a great respect for those who have invented it and made it available, and I actually find the process and the equipment quite interesting. That's why I've started building this model. That's also why I want to be a dialysis technician when I'm able to work again.

Adam

Great work Adam, awesome in fact  :2thumbsup;  but instead of G.I.Joe as the patient, could you use Barbie? i hate that skinny bitch :P  ;)

:rofl; :rofl;
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 04:57:58 PM »

I just caught onto this thread now... great model Adam... it looks exactly like my machine! Your very talented.  :clap;

Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 06:19:23 PM »

Here are some more in progress pictures of Mister Fresenius. I still have to do the dialysate lines, the buttons, the arterial and venous pressure indicators, and the hooks on the IV pole.

Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 06:22:12 PM »

Adam

Nah, I don't want to use Barbie. What did the poor dialysis machine do to deserve that?

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 10:46:37 PM »

:rofl; True huh... you go boy ;)

www.kidneyoogle.com
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 07:41:11 PM »

Here are some updated pics of "Mini-Freni"
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 07:48:34 PM by Adam_W » Logged

Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 07:49:26 PM »

I'm having trouble with my resizing program. I'll put the pics on when I can figure out the problem.

Adam

Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 08:32:04 PM »

let's try this again. My resize program seems to have died, so I need to post the pics from photobucket. The control panel is a little sloppy, so I may paint over it and try again. I've just started on the hardest part: the wire "basket" thingy on the left side that holds the blood pressure cuff. I'm making it from thin steel wire, and using super glue to hold the individual wire pieces together.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 08:44:04 PM by Adam_W » Logged

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 01:43:13 PM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance;  Yes... It's almost ready to hook Barbie up huh?  :P :P ;)

www.kidneyoogle.com
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 01:57:04 PM »

let's try this again. My resize program seems to have died, so I need to post the pics from photobucket. The control panel is a little sloppy, so I may paint over it and try again. I've just started on the hardest part: the wire "basket" thingy on the left side that holds the blood pressure cuff. I'm making it from thin steel wire, and using super glue to hold the individual wire pieces together.

That's amazing work!  Looks just like my machine.  Lets find a tanned and blond Malibu Barbie doll to hook up!   >:D >:D >:D

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
babi68

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2007, 02:53:28 PM »

you and my hubby would get on very well. he does railway modelling and we have little houses and buildings all over the house!! he thinks you have done very well. i must say it looks very cute.... what's next?? my hubby just said what about the bed to go next to it?? have fun with it, I need to think of something to keep me busy too.Liz :bandance;
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2007, 04:26:37 PM »

you and my hubby would get on very well. he does railway modelling and we have little houses and buildings all over the house!! he thinks you have done very well. i must say it looks very cute.... what's next?? my hubby just said what about the bed to go next to it?? have fun with it, I need to think of something to keep me busy too.Liz :bandance;
I also do railway models, mainly steam locomotives. See my posts in the "hobbies" thread in off-topic.

Adam

kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 06:10:03 AM »

Just found this thread - Hey, that's pretty good work there! 

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »