I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 06:22:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Vomitting?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vomitting?  (Read 9402 times)
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« on: June 08, 2007, 11:49:53 AM »

Does anyone get nauseous if you haven't dialyzed in a while?  Rob has been having access issues, didn't dialyze on Monday or Wednesday.  Yesterday it took him so long to get on the machine, he didn't get off until 11:30.  He was just wiped out from his arm hurting and all the emotion it took to get the needles in (Nurse had to come to our house to actually do it).  Well he normally eats before hand, but wasn't hungry.  Didn't eat until 11:45 (just an english muffin) and this morning he woke up feeling crappy.  He drank some water and threw it up and then about 10 mins later threw up again.  Both were nothing big, just some water and bile.  His blood sugars were just slightly high, 133.  After he got sick he felt much better and went to work. 

Is this normal?  Does this happen to anyone now and then?  Last time he got sick was right before he started dialysis.  I'm kinda worried.  His Dr. is off today and his nurse is on vacation for a week.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 12:03:49 PM »

Clearance of toxins is never perfect on dialysis, and as a result, patients can lose their appetite and vomit at any time while on dialysis.  I used to have nausea and vomiting every single day I was on dialysis, even though my pump speed was 450 and my Kt/V was between 1.8 and 2.0.  Many diabetics also develop gastroparesis during dialysis, which is caused by the uncleared renal toxins compounding the background diabetic damage to the nerves controlling digestion.  This prevents the stomach from operating normally to digest food, leading to a feeling of fulness after eating and vomiting.  Some countries have drugs to control it, but other countries have banned most of those drugs as dangerous.  In Canada they found that domperidone, a drug normally used to promote production of breast milk in lactating women, could help with diabetic gastroparesis and did not have the dangerous side-effects that the earlier drug used for gastroparesis, propulsid, did.  The downside of domperidone in male patients is that it has a feminizing side-effect, and can even cause breast augmentation, among other things.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 12:28:54 PM »

my husband vomits at least once a week- the first year on dialysis he vomitted every day- often multiple times.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 12:48:55 PM »

My hubby been vomiting off and on since he started dialysis also... There are days in which he vomits all day. About 2 weeks ago it was real bad.  ??? ???
Chicken Little

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 02:51:09 PM »

I vomit a stomach full of bile a couple times each week when I get up.  It's been going on for about 5 years.  Before I went on dialysis, they told me it was my KD.  Now that it hasn't stopped, it's being blamed on my diabetes.  My liver tests are all perfect.  ???   It's so gross.
Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 03:02:50 PM »

I vomit a stomach full of bile a couple times each week when I get up.  It's been going on for about 5 years.  Before I went on dialysis, they told me it was my KD.  Now that it hasn't stopped, it's being blamed on my diabetes.  My liver tests are all perfect.  ???   It's so gross.

I've been trying to find the reason my hubby vomits since he begin dialysis. Still, have no answer to this. It's been 9 months I just want to cuss!!!

And I do... :rant;
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 06:09:25 PM »

:bow;  OMG I can't believe I am not the only one. Almost every morning I am nauseous to the point of throwing up. They just keep telling me my blood levels are fine. My kids are now use to seeing me vomit in the middle of getting their lunches ready.  :P They think i'm crazy.

Chicken Little, I don't have diabetes so it can't be that with me. It also started way before dialysis and hasn't stopped. Its like continual morning sickness. I would love it to stop!    :-X

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 06:17:46 PM »

i was just the same before i started dialysis it seems to have stopped now and wattle it was just like morning sickness  a feeling we can do without !!

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 06:24:19 PM »

when i was on pd, the last maybe 5 yrs i threw up all the time.  i would wake up in the middle of the night with an upset stomach...usually burp alot then throw up.  now that im on hemo, i dont throw up anymore.  well except if i miss dialysis on monday then dont dialyize until wednesday.  i get really sick and throw up while on dialysis.

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 06:33:57 PM »

???  Maybe its a PD thing? Our clearances are not as good as a Haemo patient.

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 06:56:37 PM »

when i was on pd, the last maybe 5 yrs i threw up all the time.  i would wake up in the middle of the night with an upset stomach...usually burp alot then throw up.  now that im on hemo, i dont throw up anymore.  well except if i miss dialysis on monday then dont dialyize until wednesday.  i get really sick and throw up while on dialysis.
He is on pd..........
Thats the way hubby is.
Chicken Little

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 08:30:07 PM »

I just started PD this year.  My morning vomiting has been going on for at least the past 5 years, so I don't think mine is PD related. 
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 08:38:13 PM »

my husband is hemo- he vomited so bad last year he spent multiple months in the hospital and had every test known to man--not one time-NOT ONE TIME has any techs DRs or nurses ever said it was normal for a dialysis patient - after reading here for over a year it seems to be fairly common for the first year to be tough. Recently a couple of the same nurses said 'oh yeah the first year is really rough'   why could they not have told us that before? My husband vomitted to the point where he could not stop without azemed- which they will only give you in the hospital. Nowadays he takes phenergan, and he has a couple others for nasuea- if your dr has not given you phenergan ASK for it!! its cheap too.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Peter

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 08:51:31 PM »

I never once vomited when I was on PD, unless I had peritonitis.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 10:16:59 PM »

I've got diabetic gastroparesis, and I take Reglan for it - it's wonderful.  I needed it with every meal until about the 3 month of dialysis, and now I only need it occasionally.  I do tend to need it more on Monday night than any other, so I'm guessing it's the toxin buildup that makes things worse.  (I'm on T, TR, S)

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 10:34:17 PM »

Never had dialysis, but I vomited for the first 3 days or so after my transplant. Not sure if there's any link there, I doubt it perhaps - in your cases it would be due to toxins, in mine, perhaps the new, suddenly huge doses of medications or something.
skyedogrocks

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 08:00:56 AM »

I think it's the toxins also.  Rob hasn't had the best week of dialysis.  He's having so many issues with his venous access, he's going for another fistula gram next week.  Luckly he had another access put in on his upper arm, it just needs a little more time time to mature.  It took us 2 hours today to get on!

He wasn't feeling good last night after eating and threw up a little.  He also had major acid reflux, has that happened to anyone on dialysis also?

I think once he has a few good days of dialysis he will feel better. 

Sorry to hear you guys vommiting so much.  I hate when Dr.'s can't figure out what is wrong  :rant;, what is wrong with them!

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
luckaholic

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2007, 08:18:03 AM »

When I was on PD I pretty much had a "throw up routine" for at least 6 months. I would wake up around 5am, throw my guts up until I felt slightly better and well enough to go back to bed. It got to the point where I just threw up all day and all night. I was in and out of hospital all the time for dehydration, then finally they figured out it was probably my failed transplant still rejecting even though it had stopped working. They took it out and I was alot better. Still threw up a bit but after a few months on hemo I improved. Now on nocturnal I dont throw up any more.

How much dialysis does your husband do? It could be a number of things that has made him sick.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »

I am on hemo and sometimes I feel crappy from dialysis and am nauseous.  It happens quite a bit. I think the human body resents having to have artificial means to get the blood clean and gets payback on us frequently!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 02:41:32 PM »

Vomiting was one of my first symptoms. I am sick a couple of times a week. Feel better when I do throw up. Doctor says it is toxins built up and it is my bodies way of removing them.  It does help to hear others have the same problem.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
skyedogrocks

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 01:51:44 PM »

Rob has been feeling crappy all weekend long.  It's definitely the toxins from lack of dialyzing ( not his fault).  He has also been feeling so sluggish.  Poor Guy :(.  Hopefully he feels better today.  He had to go back in center because his access is still messed up. 

Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 02:11:12 PM »

My first year on Dialysis I would throw up on the day of Dialysis because it had been the longest time away from Dialysis.  Most mornings when I get out of the shower before going to work I have to lie down for about 15 to 20 minutes fighting the urge to puke.  I usually take an Acidophilus tablet and rest on the bed until I feel I can rise without vomiting.  I keep a supply handy and it tends to work most of the time.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 07:12:39 PM »

I'm on PD, I dont throw-up everyday or even once a week, I do however feel nauseated all the time.  Maybe I should start forcing myself to get sick, does it help?  I also try to fight it.

Eventhough I'm nauseated, for some reason it hasn't stopped me from eating a lot.

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
kperkins

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2007, 03:42:43 PM »

When my kidneys failure was diagnosed I was vomiting several times a day.  After I started HD it was not uncommon, but I didn't get nauseous so much.
Since I began PD a year ago I only get nauseous when I haven't eaten for a while and I'm hungry.  I usually carry some sugar free mints and it helps.

Keith
mixplix

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 07:56:51 AM »

YES!!! I throw up several times a week. They thought it was my gallbladder, but tests show its okay. I didn't know it was so common. That makes me feel a little better.  :thx;
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »