I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:12:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Wheelchair Discussions
| | |-+  Ever try Bowling in a wheelchair? Well I have and it sucks!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ever try Bowling in a wheelchair? Well I have and it sucks!  (Read 13281 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« on: August 11, 2005, 08:49:18 PM »

I have been going with my son every week (for about 2 months now) to a bowling alley. I take him and his friend, they really enjoy it. Well anyway I used to bowl pretty good but now that I am in a wheelchair (5 years almost) it's very hard to bowl. What I do is just go up to the line and swing my arm back and try to spin it as much as I can, but I can't get too much speed since I don't walk up to the line the way a bowler does it.

Anyone ever try bowling in a wheelchair? Do you have any tips for me so I can at least get triple digit scores.

I was embarassed at first but I just thought to myself, screw it at least I am trying. And my son is very proud of me and that makes me feel good. As long as my son is proud of me that's all that matters.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 07:40:55 AM »

I can't even get at triple digit score and I can walk!  You just keep going for your son.  The fact that you are trying is enough.  Yeah, I know easy for me to say....  Darla~

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 05:27:09 PM »

I can't even get at triple digit score and I can walk!  You just keep going for your son.  The fact that you are trying is enough.  Yeah, I know easy for me to say....  Darla~

No, thank you. I at least try and that's more than alot of people would do.  :)

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 09:36:01 AM »

Anyone ever try bowling in a wheelchair? Do you have any tips for me so I can at least get triple digit scores.

My little brother has Spina Bifida, so he has been in a wheel chair most of his life.  Unfortunately there is no good way to bowl except to stretch out from your chair as far as you can an swing your arm.  He gets lucky from time to time, but for the most part trying to aim doesn't work.  The only other option is to use a special ramp that gets put at the fowl line and you just push the ball down the ramp.  Not all bowling alleys have them, and it's not quite the same.  To increase your chances you can also see if your alley has bumper bowling.  Even if you don't use the ramp it still increases your odds.  He prefers to roll up to the line and try his luck with no help from either method.

It's not easy being green.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 03:01:49 PM »

...Do you have any tips for me so I can at least get triple digit scores.

I have my own ball and no physical limitations and if I get into triple digits I celebrate -- I only get to bowl a couple of times a year.  You are brave to attempt it, and if your son is enjoying your participation then that's the most important thing.  I would imagine it's like everything else, practice, practice, practice -- that's a good excuse to go more often -- and of course, have fun.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »