I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:30:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Knowing what you know now, would you donate a kidney to a stranger?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Knowing what you know now, would you donate a kidney to a stranger?  (Read 6219 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: March 10, 2006, 04:49:35 PM »

Have you ever thought about it?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 05:41:54 PM »

In 1985, I married and moved to Idaho.  I had to renew my driver's license.  I was asked if I would be an organ donor.  I said yes and they put the little sign on my license.  I did that not knowing that two later I would be on the waiting list for a kidney. 

Had I been against organ donation, I could not have asked anyone else for one. 

If I were healthy I would give my kidney or part of my liver to a family member or close friend.

I would donate bone marrow to a stranger.

Bear

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 03:32:42 PM »

I would be an organ donor post mortem.
NOT a live donor, except to family member
...or very close friend.

waves...Bear
Panda_9

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 08:28:39 PM »

I would donate to a loved one, but not a stranger unless it was some poor kid that needed bone marrow or something.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 01:21:31 PM »

Yes, although I think I would need to know that the person was a dialysis patient, because they need to be helped first, in my opinion.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 04:17:21 AM »

This actually is a hard question to answer because I can't donate anyhow but I know I would not take a kidney from my Son because he would not be able to join the Marines if I did. I want him to be able to give to his Brother if necessary because his Brother(my youngest) was born with a urethra blockage and had urine back up into his kidneys before he was born. Knowing now what damage that has probably caused is why I made that decision.

I would try to save mine for family first, but where do you draw the line? If no one in your family ever needed a kidney then it's a waste. Thinking back over the last 3 years, I have lost about 8 friends and family who never donated. 16 kidneys alone are buried now. Now that is a waste.

I don't know the answer, but we need to make people aware of the importance being a donor.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 04:43:07 PM »

No, not to a stranger.  Family or friends, yes, of course.  But to go in and just donate to who ever is at the top of the list, without meeting them, no way.  I just can't see myself doing something so drastic without some kind of feedback.  I wouldn't have a problem donating blood or bone marrow to a stranger, but even bone marrow isn't the risk that a kidney donation is.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 05:37:53 PM »

No, not to a stranger.  Family or friends, yes, of course.  But to go in and just donate to who ever is at the top of the list, without meeting them, no way.  I just can't see myself doing something so drastic without some kind of feedback.  I wouldn't have a problem donating blood or bone marrow to a stranger, but even bone marrow isn't the risk that a kidney donation is.
Hey JB,
Donating to a stranger doesn't necessarily mean it would be anonymous. You can donate to someone you met through the newspaper, a church bulletin, a website, or through a hospital program. Altruistic donors have the choice whether or not they want to meet the recipient, develop a relationship, or have no contact whatsoever. Jenna's donor was a total stranger, she found us through livingdonorsonline.org, but she has now become a friend.

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 06:19:36 PM »

I don't think I would donate to a stranger while I'm alive. Just in case someone I loved might need one. There is diabetes in my family. After I am dead anyone can have them.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 08:14:21 AM by glitter » Logged

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 08:03:10 PM »

No, not to a stranger. Family or friends, yes, of course. But to go in and just donate to who ever is at the top of the list, without meeting them, no way. I just can't see myself doing something so drastic without some kind of feedback. I wouldn't have a problem donating blood or bone marrow to a stranger, but even bone marrow isn't the risk that a kidney donation is.
Hey JB,
Donating to a stranger doesn't necessarily mean it would be anonymous. You can donate to someone you met through the newspaper, a church bulletin, a website, or through a hospital program. Altruistic donors have the choice whether or not they want to meet the recipient, develop a relationship, or have no contact whatsoever. Jenna's donor was a total stranger, she found us through livingdonorsonline.org, but she has now become a friend.

I guess I think of how Patrice met Jenna and got to know her first makes it a matter of donating to a friend, not a stranger.  I was thinking of the doc on the UNOS board you posted the article about, who wants to put an end to the websites and public pleas for help, and insisted that strangers would still donate organs even if they didn't know the person getting one.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 11:00:28 PM »

No, not to a stranger. Family or friends, yes, of course. But to go in and just donate to who ever is at the top of the list, without meeting them, no way. I just can't see myself doing something so drastic without some kind of feedback. I wouldn't have a problem donating blood or bone marrow to a stranger, but even bone marrow isn't the risk that a kidney donation is.
Hey JB,

I guess I think of how Patrice met Jenna and got to know her first makes it a matter of donating to a friend, not a stranger.  I was thinking of the doc on the UNOS board you posted the article about, who wants to put an end to the websites and public pleas for help, and insisted that strangers would still donate organs even if they didn't know the person getting one.

Patrice was already a match and had agreed to donate before we actually met her.
Some doctors say that "Donor's should only donate to the list." But the fact is most people have a need to know who they are helping, and that the kidney is going to be cared for, and that their effort is going to a good cause. There are anonymous altruistic donors, but they are small numbers.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 11:04:45 PM by okarol » Logged

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 11:41:20 PM »

I would love to donate to a perfect stranger.  I can go my whole life thinking "i am saving them for if someone i knew might need one" but what are the chances of that never happening?  I totally understand how your thinking JB, just me, myself, i would love to be able to give someone a gift that is a precious as life is itself (but i cant)  :banghead;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 03:28:30 AM »

I would love to donate to a perfect stranger.  I can go my whole life thinking "i am saving them for if someone i knew might need one" but what are the chances of that never happening?  I totally understand how your thinking JB, just me, myself, i would love to be able to give someone a gift that is a precious as life is itself (but i cant)  :banghead;

Oh but you do!!  Just by your kindness here on this site sweatheart. :cuddle;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 12:40:13 PM »

Oh but you do!!  Just by your kindness here on this site sweatheart. :cuddle;

Aww, thank you Sluff  ::)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
tweetykiss

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 07:06:30 AM »

I am saving my kidney for my husband....he comes first......now liver parts only to my loved ones and very few close friends.......

I have donated blood many times before so it does not matter to me who got it.....

I have not donated bone marrow yet but I will in the future to anyone in case there is a child or adult who has leukemia.......I am glad they found that cure for it so I am willing to help with that....

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
George Jung

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 08:57:29 AM »

If I could, I would, knowing what I know now of course.
st789

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 09:17:02 AM »

Yep, definitely but to know people.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 06:40:19 PM »

i wish i could especially to some of the people i have met here, but since it looks like my 5 year old is following in her dad's footstep's i need to save it for her since i don't match the hubby.

keefer51

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 08:20:20 PM »

No i wouldn't.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 08:37:49 PM »

I would donate, to anyone... I don't see why someone wouldn't donate to a stranger... makes no sense to me personally... of course if my child needed an organ I would want to try to donate to them first and if it turned out we weren't a match I would donate to a stranger. If I was the only person in need of an organ on this earth and had no relatives, I would hope a stranger would donate to me even though I was a stranger....

I can understand why someone wouldn't want to be a live donor, but to not donate even after death just because you don't want your body cut open, is selfish and in my opinion an unforgiveable act.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 09:49:49 PM »

Oh yes, I would definitely donate to anyone, be it family or a total stranger.  In fact, I am going next week get set up to donate my blood and ask about donating platelets.  I also am looking into registering for bone marrow donation.

I am an organ donor on my license, have been since I first got it.  We are looking at altruistic donors right now for Rob, many are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, some are looking for a profit.  If the potentional donor we are working with now is a match and definitely agrees to donate to Rob, never even thought of donating we would be shit out of luck.

I have a very dear friend who doesn't agree to being an organ donor when she dies.  She has the belief that they won't spend much time saving her life, so that they can get to her organs.  I have tried to talk with her, but she is firm in her belief.  It infuriates me and I don't agree with it, but it's her body.

Sara, since you posed this question, what is your own answer?

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 07:25:00 AM »

Absolutley. The joy that someone else has given me is priceless. I had a deceased donor. I have heard from my donors family. They are rooting for me and keep in touch with my transplant coordinator. They have been so supportive.                                                                                                I am a donor now. I don't know what they will be able to use.  I would like to give a family the same joy I was given.
I am thinking about donating my body (hopefully not much would be left, and transplanted to help others) to research when I am gone. I never gave it much thought before my transplant. I really think about it now.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »