I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 04:23:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  An amazing gift
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: An amazing gift  (Read 1800 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 23, 2007, 09:56:46 AM »

An amazing gift

By Joe Scott
Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:27 AM CDT
Warrenton Journal

It was 2005 when the Rev. Erich Fechner found out his friend's kidneys had shut down.

A Franciscan friar, Brother Mark Ligett, O.S.F., thought he had fallen asleep while driving. Actually, he was in end-stage renal failure and passed out. His kidneys had stopped functioning after being damaged by kidney stones.

Ironically, the accident saved his life. He would have died had he not been taken to the hospital.

"He didn't even ask. I just said, 'I'll donate a kidney,'" said Fechner, pastor of Holy Rosary Catholic Church in Warrenton.

Fechner, 46, and Ligett met while taking a summer seminary class about 20 years ago. They've mostly kept in touch over the years.

Ligett, who has been on dialysis for two years, didn't think he would need Fechner's kidney. He already had 11 people volunteering to donate a kidney, including his brother and a sister.

"One by one, the 11 donors were knocked off the list," said Ligett, who is 10 years older than Fechner. "So, I dropped him a note and said, 'Are you serious?' It's one thing to offer a kidney. It's another thing to offer and know they're going to take it."

Fechner continued. He passed a telephone interview. He also passed successive matching tests. He matched in one of six donor tests, but those tests have become less important as more advanced anti-rejection medications have been developed. A one-in-six match living donor has a better chance than a six-in-six donor who has died.

Last week after Mass, Fechner announced to his parish that he was donating a kidney to his friend.

The operation is June 26.

"I went up and shook his hand," said Bill Wegner, a parishioner. "I'm proud of him."

Fechner will be away from his parish for four to six weeks for recovery.

Carol Ditto, Fechner's pastoral associate at Holy Rosary, said the action is in keeping with Fechner's character.

"He's a very caring person, and a very loyal person," Ditto said. "Relationships are what he's all about."

Fechner seems to look forward to donating his kidney. He even dropped 60 pounds to lower his blood pressure so he'd be accepted as a donor.

"They're very strict about the donor's health," Fechner said.

Fechner said as a priest, he's the perfect donor because he'll be able to take four to six weeks off. The St. Louis Archdiocese will take care of him as the Franciscan Order takes care of Ligett. He has no children or family to consider.

He also likes that the operation will be at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis.

"It's not like this is experimental. They do hundreds of these a year there, and they have a very good reputation," Fechner said. "They're one of the top hospitals in the country."

While Ligett's kidneys aren't functioning at all, Fechner has two healthy kidneys, including one that was working at better than 100 percent.

"I told him I wasn't sure I wanted the one that was overworked, but I'm not sure I want the other one either," Ligett said jokingly. "Maybe it's lazy."

Ligett, who lives in Ava, takes dialysis three times a week in Mountain Grove.

"It's a 45-minute to an hour drive depending on rain, fog, deer," he said. "You're on dialysis for 3½ hours, then it takes another 3½ hours to make sure your blood is clotting. Then, I'm pretty wiped out the rest of the day, and I need to rest. It's like losing every other day of your life."

It's also like he's on a long tether to the machine. Although he wouldn't travel much anyway, he can't attend meetings and hasn't been home to visit his family in two years. A patient on dialysis lives an average of seven years.

"Of course, there are patients who go 15 to 20 years," Ligett said. "I'm in good health otherwise."

But he's watched five other dialysis patients die in the two years he's been on dialysis. Most of them have other health issues. About three-fourths of dialysis patients have diabetes, Ligett said.

"I'm fortunate in that I have good health other than my kidneys," Ligett said.

He also knows he's fortunate to have a friend like Fechner.

"He's giving a gift not only to me, not only to my religious order, but to my family," Ligett said. "It's a great gift. He's the gift."

Fechner is giving Ligett life in more ways than one.

"Maybe that's why God gave us two kidneys," Ditto said. "Maybe it's so we can share ourselves with others."

Fechner also is setting an example for his parishioners by practicing what he preaches. That's priceless.

Joe Scott can be contacted at jscott@yourjournal.com.

http://warrentonjournal.stltoday.com/articles/2007/05/23/news/sj2tn20070516-0516war_warpe.ii1.txt

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 05:21:08 PM »

Well, it just seems that God had these guys lives worked out for them huh?  He does work in mysterious ways doesnt he?  That is awesome, good for the both of them,  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »