I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:20:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Being on dialysis effect your personality or become more agreeable
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Being on dialysis effect your personality or become more agreeable  (Read 11544 times)
st789

« on: May 11, 2007, 06:18:37 AM »

Dialyis just takes a toll on your body, low energy, feel cold, nausea, do not want to talk a lot, mental confusing.  Thus one just want to rest or sleep a lot of time.  Gradually do our personality become mellow compare to others or it is because of silent depression?

EDITED:  Moved post to proper thread - Goofynina/Admin.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 11:39:02 AM by goofynina » Logged
Chicken Little

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 08:03:20 AM »

It's been opposite for me.  When I was well and working, I was told over and over that one of my best attributes was that I was completely unflappable.  Everything just rolled off me. 

Now I am VERY easily annoyed, even at things I likely wouldn't notice before, and have no problem letting the person annoying me know it.   :-[
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 10:57:49 AM »

I'm with Chicken Little on this one.  I'm NOT getting mellower.  I'm not getting quieter, either.  I am learning to be my own best advocate!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

st789

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 11:15:20 AM »

Way to go for being fighters.  Adocate.....Yes
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 11:18:25 AM »

I agree, I have become more assertive, and less tolerant of people wasting my time and energy.
I've always been blunt, and have noticed I am nicer about that too. So it's going both ways.
I am mellowing out, but I'm not putting up with anyone's timewasters either.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 11:47:29 AM »

When i was on hemo, i was depressed beyond belief, almost to the point of suicidal, then i found this site things started looking up, then i started PD and i felt almost normal (whatever normal is supposed to feel like) :P .  I dont know what is going to happen if and when i have to go back to hemo, *shivers at the thought* I just know one thing, i thank God for Epoman creating IHD, that's for damn sure ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 04:28:42 PM »

just  the  same  old  cantankerous  bastard  i  always  was.

losing  the  memory  a  bit,gone  deaf,going  blind

woo  hoo i  got  it  all :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup; :thumbup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
st789

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 07:56:52 PM »

I really do not know what is normal anymore ever since the day I was diagnosed with kidney disease.  Transplant gave me back somewhat of simi-normal before dialysis.  But I am glad to still be here and share my thoughts with you guys.  Thanks Epoman for setting up this site.   Many thanks................
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 09:18:17 PM »

I think it has made my Jack more sensitive. He is more emotional, and probably more in touch with his feelings-which is a good thing ;D

but-the day he goes to dialysis he is cranky beforehand....he hates waiting for it to be time to go there.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 10:11:58 PM »

having a disabled child, i've always been a "squeaky wheel". only way to get anything done. now with dialysis i'm a bitchy squeaky wheel and i make no apologies. especially at 5:30 in the morning. IF YOU DON'T DO IT MY WAY, YOU DON'T DO IT AT ALL!!!!!

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
keefer51

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 07:03:43 AM »

I have thought about this for some time. I don't think my personality changed much. I am still the loving compassionate person i always was. I try and make lite of the situation. I talk to many of the other patients at my center. At first they are angry and in denial. I think we all are. Your body seems to get used to the physical effects of dialysis but your mind can sometimes take longer. We have to take control of our lives. We can't let this madness change us. I can't take my anger out on anybody. I am ever so thankful for this site and the help i have received from my new found family.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Hephs-little-lady

Always dance like no one is watching!

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 07:19:01 AM »

Dialysis has definately not made Heph mellow or quiet!

When he feels good he feels very, very good! He talks from the minute he wakes up, to the minute I put him to sleep, i mean the minute he FALLS asleep.  ;) He dances and sings and hums and whistles and is generally unstoppable.

When he feels bad he is rotten. He whinges and complains, is demanding and rude, snappy and angry.

And I love him so, so much, no matter what he is like. How could I not love this guy???????????

:D Knowledge Is Knowing That A Tomato Is A Fruit, Wisdom Is Not Putting It In A Fruit Salad.
pierrat

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »

Well its been a year for me, I cant say my personality has changed much. I do think im more mature and look at things from a different angle, but thats probably a necessity to anyone during ESRD. Time may change but so far it all about taking 1 step ahead of another and whatever you do, dont dwell on the worst. That will sap your spirit faster than the disease will.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 01:15:46 PM »

I do not have much patience with adults anymore since the last few year son dilaysis.  I figure with evertthing I do and put up with, a regular person can get it together and do their job properly, especially when I can do my job!  So that has changed in my attiude since I began dialysis.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 01:18:22 PM »

Cool pic there H-L-L
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 02:38:19 PM »

I haven't changed any since I was on dialysis.  I even checked with my daughter (my severest critic) and she said my personality hadn't changed any.
But then, dialysis has not changed my day to day living very much, except for diet restrictions.  The time I spend on dialysis is the time I would have spent in school.
The other change is the travel restrictions, but that is not something that would affect me on a daily basis.
I am just the same old loveable or unloveable me (according to who is doing the assessment!)!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 02:40:09 PM »

I haven't changed any since I was on dialysis.  I even checked with my daughter (my severest critic) and she said my personality hadn't changed any.
But then, dialysis has not changed my day to day living very much, except for diet restrictions.  The time I spend on dialysis is the time I would have spent in school.
The other change is the travel restrictions, but that is not something that would affect me on a daily basis.
I am just the same old loveable or unloveable me (according to who is doing the assessment!)!

Loveable, definetly loveable ;)  :cuddle;

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bette

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 08:51:44 AM »

I was only 19 when I started Dialysis, so I think it formed my personality more so that changed it.  It has made me stronger and more determined to do the things that I want to do.  It has made me appreciate things more.  I always try to see the silver lining in every situation. 

It has definitely not been easy.
LightLizard

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 10:18:20 AM »

About the biggest change I've noticed in my life, since becoming dialysis-dependant, is that my wife and I no longer have 'play'-friends. The few friends we have left are those who are honest and real about our frienships. So, overall, I'd say that my condition has been a blessing in this regard, and has made me more 'authentic' than I was before.

As for my personality, I'm still an asshole. I think.
 ;D
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 11:36:36 AM »

you're too funny!!! (and you seem nice) ;D

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 03:27:54 PM »

About the biggest change I've noticed in my life, since becoming dialysis-dependant, is that my wife and I no longer have 'play'-friends. The few friends we have left are those who are honest and real about our frienships. So, overall, I'd say that my condition has been a blessing in this regard, and has made me more 'authentic' than I was before.

;D

I did lose all my drinking and carousing friends, the ones I hung out with and got loaded with, the ones who I played pool with until 4 AM in Newark, NJ, the ones I went down to Seaside Heights, NJ with and we stayed out down there until sunrise.
I have my memories, I guess.  I did have a lot of fun and I did do a lot of things, I guess.  Now my life is quiet and dull.  Who knows, I might have ended up in rehab or something if not for kidney failure.   :urcrazy; ;D ;D ;D

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 04:53:07 PM »

I became alot more mellow since i started. i had to learn to laugh at all kinds of things or depression would drive me nuts.
st789

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 05:04:13 PM »

:grouphug; :wine; :banghead;
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 05:07:33 PM »

I became alot more mellow since i started. i had to learn to laugh at all kinds of things or depression would drive me nuts.

I am sure there are so many of us in that exact same boat my friend,  glad you learned how to laugh again,  KEEP ON LAUGHING MY FRIEND......  :yahoo;

www.kidneyoogle.com
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2007, 01:41:25 AM »

Its suprising to read how many of us 'lost' friends when we got ill ! It seems to make us pretty isolated as well! But as long as my dogs still love me , i dont really care ! People make me crabby , dogs make me lovable !  :2thumbsup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »