I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:49:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What book are you currently reading?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What book are you currently reading?  (Read 234671 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1325 on: July 30, 2015, 02:59:39 AM »

Kristina, it's called "Queen Victoria's Children".

Many thanks MooseMom, I have checked-up on youtube and there are a few different films on offer i.e. "Young Victoria " "Victoria and Albert: Part 1,
 Victoria and Albert: Part 2 ... Queen Victoria's Empire... Queen Victoria ... Queen Victoria's Children - Episode 1: The Best Laid Plans (Documentary) ...
... There is quite a lot about Queen Victoria on youtube and unfortunately the titles here are different from tv-titles in America...
... But I shall try "to isolate the straw from the hay" and find the proper educating films about this matter....
Thanks again for letting me know and I send you my best wishes,
Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
AnnieB

« Reply #1326 on: August 20, 2015, 07:58:56 PM »

I just finished reading The Godfather (or rather, re-reading, since I've read it before). Followed it up with getting the DVD set (Godfather I, II, and III) from the library and just returned it. I would consider this movie (series of movies) among the best ever made. Of course, you have to like crime drama.... 8)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1327 on: August 25, 2015, 02:52:22 AM »

Dial M for Murdoch by Tom Watson & Martin Hickman...
subtitle: News Corporation and the Corruption of Britain...
... this story is about corruption by power and ... it's all about business...
... "They" listened to phone massages, but they also bribed, spied and bullied
and imposed their will through blackmail, corruption and intimidation...
... Rupert Murdoch was not runnng a normal business but a shadow state ...
This book is must-read for anyone who sometimes appears in the public eye
and/or sometimes (has to) deal with newspapers ...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1328 on: August 25, 2015, 08:43:09 AM »

The latest fantasy fiction from David Weber, The Sword of the South, it's the fourth book in a series that I started in 1995. I just hope to live long enough to see the end of the series to know how it comes out. Additionally as a change of pace I am reading the West Point course on the Civil War available on iTunes.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1329 on: August 25, 2015, 03:45:01 PM »

I am reading C.S. Lewis' The Screw Tape Letters. 

Interesting...

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1330 on: August 25, 2015, 07:12:28 PM »

Found 5 of the Left Behind series at the resale shop.  Already into #3 and now noticed the next two are NOT 4 and 5.  They are 5 and 7.  I can't read them out of order so I just made an offer on eBay for the whole 12 book set.

I still have a big stack of 'other' books I can read while waiting so it isn't like I won't have anything at all to read.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1331 on: August 30, 2015, 03:21:05 AM »

Mafialand by Douglas Thompson.
Subtitle: "How the Mob Invaded Britain".
The book "Mafialand" recounts events from the viewpoint of the pawns as well as the kingmakers
and it is an account of the Mob's Machiavellian global manipulation of governments and officials...
... and London, the capital city of the Swinging Sixties was also a city of gambling, guns and gangsters
and the author Douglas Thompson writes about details & secrets of one of the most dangerous criminal conspiracies...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1332 on: September 11, 2015, 01:24:12 AM »

P.S. I am still going over Mafialand by Douglas Thompson
... and I have noticed that it is very difficult to "digest" all the given information,
expecially for people like myself, who have never suspected or experienced any of it ...
... So many events are being explained in this book, including the reason (?)
for the assassination of the Kennedy-brothers ... and so much more...
...In short, it is a book that wants to be read very carefully and slowly,
because it is very difficult to take it all in...
... and perhaps certain events should be checked-up as well ...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:49:09 AM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Angiepkd

« Reply #1333 on: September 11, 2015, 11:09:26 AM »

I just finished the Divergent trilogy.  Liked it, but so disappointed in the ending :(.

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1334 on: September 18, 2015, 10:15:34 PM »

Just started Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie.  I've been watching Poirot on Netflix and wanted to read some of the books that the show is based on.  I had a heck of a time finding it.  My library didn't have it in any form at all, and I ended up having to buy the ebook version from Kobo.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1335 on: October 20, 2015, 02:38:00 AM »

The Suicide Club by Andrew Williams...
During the First World-Disaster sensitive information about future-campaigns fell regularly into the hands of enemy-camps  ...
Naturally, this had a devastating effect with even more losses and because of this,
specially selected officers were specially trained and educated to spy on other officers and/or soldiers to find out,
where these sensitive-campaign-loopholes originated from.
This was - of course - a very life-dangerous activity to take on and because of this,
all the officers/soldiers involved in this particular activity were called "The Suicide Club"...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 02:39:51 AM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
lainiepop

« Reply #1336 on: October 27, 2015, 09:48:29 AM »

Hubby recently got me a kindle so been reading quite a bit.  Currently reading the detective Helen Grace book eeny meeny, after stumbling upon the 3rd in the series. So far there's only 4 but I've enjoyed what I've read

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1337 on: October 27, 2015, 02:09:50 PM »

I started with Lost Books of the Bible.  Since then I have been steadily reading.  Studied through the Books of the Disciples, (New Testament), Clement a follower of Peter, the Other Bible,  The Jewish Torah, (the five books of Moses which is most of the Old Testament.  Skimmed most of the KJV of the Bible and see how closely it parallels all my previous readings.

Just started into the Qu'ran and surprised that Mohamed wrote 500 years AFTER Christ yet very closely follows the writings of Moses.

This is interesting!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:12:41 PM by Charlie B53 » Logged
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1338 on: November 18, 2015, 10:42:39 PM »

I am reading the newest book in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind: Warheart
If you like Sci fi and fantasy read this series!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1339 on: November 19, 2015, 05:45:06 AM »

Alexander Pushkin: The tale of Tsar Saltan with drawings by I.Biblin
dedicated to the Russian Composer Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakow, first published in 1905
and re-published in facsimile by Progress Publishers Moskow 1975 .

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #1340 on: November 27, 2015, 04:55:42 PM »

Pierrpoint...

The autobiography of the last Official Executioner in Ireland and the UK... Very interesting... He didn't have lots of work, so he ran a pub in the UK... Called, believe it or not 'Help the poor Struggler'.....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1341 on: November 27, 2015, 05:14:12 PM »

Dean Koontz- The City

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1342 on: January 06, 2016, 03:39:31 AM »

I started with Lost Books of the Bible.  Since then I have been steadily reading.  Studied through the Books of the Disciples, (New Testament), Clement a follower of Peter, the Other Bible,  The Jewish Torah, (the five books of Moses which is most of the Old Testament.  Skimmed most of the KJV of the Bible and see how closely it parallels all my previous readings.

Just started into the Qu'ran and surprised that Mohamed wrote 500 years AFTER Christ yet very closely follows the writings of Moses.

This is interesting!
[/quote

Hello Charlie,
Could there be several different versions (interpretations?) of the Qu'ran ?
I am wondering, because only recently I was told that according to the Qu'ran deocrative art is never wanted.
But in the shortened translation (version?) of the Qu'ran which I have read, decorative art was not even mentioned...
What do you think?
Thanks from Kristina.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:41:01 AM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1343 on: January 06, 2016, 03:42:51 AM »

This is interesting!

Hello Charlie,
I am wondering, because only recently I was told that according to the Qu'ran deocrative art is never wanted.
But in the shortened translation (version?) of the Qu'ran which I have read, decorative art was not even mentioned...
What do you think?
Thanks from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1344 on: January 06, 2016, 06:34:06 AM »

I read very few books any more (and a LOT of stuff online), but I have picked up a book to read during in-center D that I've had for years.  It's "Man Meets Dog" a classic by Konrad Lorenz. Fascinating.  About the origins--and everything else-- in the human-dog relationship.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #1345 on: January 06, 2016, 09:32:25 AM »

Three Magic Words....currently.;
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1346 on: January 06, 2016, 12:51:46 PM »

Ashley Bell by Dean Koontz.  I'm also currently reading a book about Spain in the Golden Age.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1347 on: January 06, 2016, 03:48:57 PM »

Hello Charlie,
What do you think?
Thanks from Kristina.

I have only read the one English translation, there may be more but I wouldn't expect them to vary by much.  I hope!

IIRC,  art and music are considered a waste of time and effort and could be considered a sin as that time and effort should be spent on meaningful worship of God.

Islam, Muslims do NOT believe in violence.  And adhere very strictly to the commandment 'Do NOT Kill'.  The only couple of exceptions are in self-defense.  If you or one near you is attacked by an animal or another human and the threat of death is eminent, only then is one allowed to kill.  And even then that person is considered UN-clean and must be segregated until a period of time and process of 'cleansing' is completed.  This included the Muslim warriors that fought in their Religious Wars when other tribes of the Mid-East wished to take over Muslim lands.  These successful warriors had to be 'cleansed' before they could return to their society.

Radical Muslims have to be quoting some other copy other than the one that I read.
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #1348 on: January 06, 2016, 11:09:14 PM »

Just a note too; 0n a sea going tug boat I read 13 books one trip.... to Dekar Senagal ,Africa. via Cape Verde Inlands.  Dec. of 1989.....We departed from San Jaun Porto Rica due east ( corse was 93 degress psg I remember well.)  IT took 33 days to get there so I had allot of time. Once in port  it took 30 days to off load the two barges , as they did it by hand..( 6,500 meteric tons of rice... aid.)ANYWAY...  then 30 long days (apprx.) to return,.... tug had a lounge with shelves books  like a library on the walls..(bulkhead) '  I think my favorite was Pillars Of The  Earth by Kennieth F.... I discovered the gift of reading ....for me.   
casper2636

« Reply #1349 on: January 07, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »

Pillars of the Earth was a GREAT BOOK! It's sequel was almost as good - World Without End by Ken Follett . You can sink yourself in one of these - no pun intended!
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 Go Up Print 
« previous next »