I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:48:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What book are you currently reading?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 55 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What book are you currently reading?  (Read 234686 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1225 on: June 28, 2014, 09:02:05 AM »

Hi MM did you read Camilla Lackberg already? Quite good

Ooooh, no!  I've never heard of her!  I've just finished the second of Kjell Eriksson's Ann Lindell series and am in two minds about reading nos. three and four.  I've read some iffy reviews about those and so may skip right to the fifth, Black Lies, Red Blood.  It's the latest in the series and is supposed to be the best.  Besides, my husband bought it for me for Christmas and is always asking me if I've started it yet.

I have watched all of the original Swedish Wallander shows on TV, all three series, and I had begun reading the books.  But I think I may stop there.  The last of the TV series was very satisfying, and I feel I should just leave it at that.

After I've finished Black Lies, I'll check out Camilla Lackberg!  Thanks so much for the recommendation!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Pod99966

« Reply #1226 on: June 28, 2014, 01:12:45 PM »

When Darkness Falls

by Shannon Drake
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #1227 on: June 30, 2014, 08:39:16 AM »

Currently studying the 5:2 diet book .... feast on five days, fast on two  ...
What do you reckon?  :thumbup; :thumbdown;
Will it work?

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1228 on: June 30, 2014, 11:19:25 AM »

Might do, depending on what you eat in those 5 days I suppose. But aren't you on D? Remember you are supposed to eat protein EVERY day?
Why don't you by your weddingdress in your own size? You are perfect as you are, as I remember correctly?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1229 on: June 30, 2014, 01:10:01 PM »

Having recently entered the world of the semi-retired and having time to turn to fiction, I'm reading Dan Brown's "Inferno."

A page turner, and definitely not that deep, but just what the doctor ordered for now.

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Pod99966

« Reply #1230 on: June 30, 2014, 08:33:38 PM »

Having recently entered the world of the semi-retired and having time to turn to fiction, I'm reading Dan Brown's "Inferno."

A page turner, and definitely not that deep, but just what the doctor ordered for now.

I've read most of Dan Brown's stuff. I really like him as an author, though I haven't read "Inferno" yet.
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #1231 on: July 01, 2014, 10:26:53 AM »

'The weird sisters' by Eleanor Brown. Very original, and different for a book that's relaxing too.

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1232 on: July 09, 2014, 12:53:07 PM »

Still making my way through Gods and Soldiers but just finished Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart. It's a brilliant account of the damage that missionaries have done and do do to traditional cultures, though you don't even realise it until it's too late (much like the members of these cultures themselves). It's enough to make an anthropologist weep - and a literature aficionado cheer. 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #1233 on: July 10, 2014, 05:45:52 AM »

Never suspected a book on this subject could be so interesting to read, as regards it's use as healing tool.

'Sodium Bicarbonate Nature Unique First Aid Remedy' by Dr Mark Sircus   ISBN 978-0-7570-0394-3

Be Well

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
AnnieB

« Reply #1234 on: July 12, 2014, 04:48:22 PM »

House Rules
by Jodi Picoult
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #1235 on: July 13, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »

Divergent - yep, still embracing my inner-teenager.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1236 on: July 25, 2014, 06:27:30 AM »

I just read Flash Boys about high speed trading on wall street.  It was a good read and an easy to follow story.  Its scary to think about how smart people leverage every loophole available to make money, often on the backs of people and their retirement accounts... 

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1237 on: July 27, 2014, 05:18:13 AM »

Last Train from Berlin by Howard K. Smith, printed in London in 1942.
An interesting historical book containing what American correspondents in Berlin tried to tell the people “between the lines” of their dispatches...
Howard K. Smith originally went to Berlin in 1936, after finishing his studies at the University of New Orleans.
It was to be a tour at first, became a sociological “mission” to study people’s circumstances under a dictatorship and developed into a political observation,
whereby, with his keen instinct and very “sharp eye” he observed and wrote down as much as he possibly could.
Smith left Berlin for Switzerland on December 6 1941, the day before the attack on Pearl Harbour.
The book is historical, but reads like a thriller and it is a pity that the author is no longer with us,
because I would have loved to contact and ask him a few questions...
...it is one of those books one has to read several times to discover as many angles as possible...
... What Howard K. Smith mentions in his book, is hardly ever mentioned in “ordinary” history books,
like names of perpetrators like Dr. Robert Ley, Nathan Kaufmann, the Nazi-dogma “inventor” Alfred Rosenberg and many others,
or, for example, the description of the constant psychological terror on the population
and the fact, that so many trains (full to the brim with soldiers) were sent from Germany to Russia,
but the trains did not return (with casualties etc) from Russia ...  and it reads, as if it was planned exactly that way from the start...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1238 on: July 29, 2014, 04:39:50 AM »

François Couperin: L'Art de toucher le clavecin 1717 (The Art of playing/touching the Harpsichord).
A wonderful introduction... and hopefully I am going to learn a lot...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1239 on: July 29, 2014, 04:46:02 AM »

"In Love With Bangladesh; the heart of a Missionary" by Jill Flat

A local author from Spokane, WA   Very good!

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1240 on: July 29, 2014, 06:51:34 AM »

I just read Flash Boys about high speed trading on wall street.  It was a good read and an easy to follow story.  Its scary to think about how smart people leverage every loophole available to make money, often on the backs of people and their retirement accounts...

It sounds like a recommendable book, especially, since the "Federal Bureau of Investigation" announced an investigation into high frequency trading ...
...one day after the publication of this particular book...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1241 on: August 15, 2014, 05:32:10 AM »

I am reading Arguably, a collection of essays by Christopher Hitchens. I probably won't read all of it as it's enormous and I doubt I'll be interested in every topic that he sounds off about, but I do love his breathtakingly eloquent, witty style. He was such a talented writer, fearlessly outspoken, a well-known atheist/rationalist. There are quite a few recordings of him debating religion with various experts in the field. I give anyone willing to step up and face him credit, because he is quick and well-versed in so many political and social subjects. As I feel that my recent illness has brought me into close contact with my own mortality, I have been seeking answers to what death really means, and he is the only person who has made me feel better about it all.

I take issue with one article he wrote about 5 years ago in which his thesis was "women aren't funny". It was incredibly disappointing to read, an inherently sexist stance that lacked any of his usual persuasiveness or self-awareness, presenting his unfortunate opinion as fact. It was indefensible, but I don't know that he was ever one to reexamine a work and retract anything. He died not too long ago - not before publishing a massive memoir that I won't be reading - I don't find the life as interesting as the commentary on current and historical events.

Andrew Sullivan - a columnist whose work I also occasionally enjoy - said that his last words were "capitalism, downfall". I hope it's true. It seems so fitting.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1242 on: August 15, 2014, 06:08:29 AM »

Just read Crazy Rich Asians, a story about the children of super rich Singaporeans.  It was actually a good love story despite all the style name dropping and the like.  Its interesting to read about people from a completely different economic level.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Uptownlifer

« Reply #1243 on: August 21, 2014, 12:37:21 PM »

Failing Forward by John Maxwell.
frankswife

« Reply #1244 on: August 21, 2014, 07:31:48 PM »

Just finished "The Plantagenets" by Dan Jones and starting to re-read a biography of silent film comedienne Mabel Normand.

"If we all abandon our posts, who then will stand?" St. Augustine
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #1245 on: August 23, 2014, 06:05:37 AM »

Just finished Mad about The Boy which is the third Bridget Jones book. So funny!!!
Now I will Have to see the film...  :clap; :clap; :clap;

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1246 on: August 23, 2014, 07:35:07 AM »

"Empty Mansions" by Bill Dedman
The true story of the Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune. 

cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #1247 on: September 05, 2014, 03:54:50 AM »

Nemesis by Jo Nesbo, quite good MM

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #1248 on: September 05, 2014, 08:30:47 AM »

Now reading PERFECT MATCH by Jane Moore
funny but hard-hitting and thought provoking
good read

10 years of half a life
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1249 on: September 23, 2014, 05:41:45 AM »

Just read A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea, a story of a twin girl growing up in Iran just after the takeover of the Shaw.  She is fascinated with America and thinks her mother and twin sister flew off to America.  There is constant struggles in her life as the regime gets stricter and she continues to dream of America.  Good story, various traumas but I felt it was upbeat most of the time.  I enjoyed reading about the cultural change at that time in Iran.

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 55 Go Up Print 
« previous next »