I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:17:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What book are you currently reading?
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 55 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What book are you currently reading?  (Read 234683 times)
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #1200 on: April 04, 2014, 11:12:21 AM »

Have you been interested in the Daniel/Sinyavsky Trial for long ? I thought their resistance and refusal to make compromises was quite fascinating...
... and very rare in history to come across... I suppose, that made me interested in reading the book of the trial all those years ago during my studies...

The first time I heard about the Sinyavsky-Daniel trial, it was during the year of Russian literature I took as my undergraduate electives.  [Silly me, I thought it'd be fun.]  Naturally, I had to track down their works!  Later, I went to a graduate student conference about 7 years ago that renewed my interest.  A Hungarian fellow attended and he presented his paper about the trial's influence on dissidents in the years following.  At the time, I spent a lot of time researching dissident movements in political practice and this trial was a really good example to focus upon.  I got a little 'obsessed' with samizdat too.  So, from there, I tried to learn as much as I could.  I'm a bit of a geek but I find it fascinating to make all the connections between the intelligentsia at the time. [Dynamics and relationships.]  I 100 % completely agree with you "their resistance and refusal to make compromises was quite fascinating..."   :)

Have a good evening, kristina!

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1201 on: April 04, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »

Moosey I just finished The Silent Wife really enjoyed it, thankd for the recommendation. I loved it's twists  8)

I'm so glad you liked it!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1202 on: April 04, 2014, 12:42:23 PM »

I admit that I don't pay much attention to where a writer is from unless I really enjoy their work.

Oh, this really surprises me!  I would have thought that the anthropologist in you would make you curious about where an author is from!

I have just finished The Orphan Master's Son  I'm not really sure how to describe it.  It's about the life story of a man in North Korea, how his identity changes and the reasons behind those changes.  It was not an easy read because North Korea is such a soulless place and life for its citizens can be horribly cruel, but it was such a fascinating piece of fiction that I was eager to read what happened next.  The author is American but has travelled to North Korea and was able to speak to a few people while there (he would not identify them by name).  It is a book that is well worth the effort.  It's one of those stories that just kind of stays with you, rolling around in your thoughts for days.

I am just getting into Orange is the New Black.  I've seen the Netflix TV series but wanted to read the book.  I'm only about a quarter of the way through, but already I can see that it is quite different to the TV show in that the book is more of a straight forward narrative in which the reader learns about the mess that is the US prison system, whereas the tv show is a wonderfully crafted comedy.

The next book on my list is The Son, the new Jo Nesbo book.  It is a stand alone story, outside of the Harry Hole series.  If any of you like Scandinavian crime fiction and have some recommendations for me, please let me know!  Thanks.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1203 on: April 04, 2014, 02:56:11 PM »

Have you been interested in the Daniel/Sinyavsky Trial for long ? I thought their resistance and refusal to make compromises was quite fascinating...
... and very rare in history to come across... I suppose, that made me interested in reading the book of the trial all those years ago during my studies...

The first time I heard about the Sinyavsky-Daniel trial, it was during the year of Russian literature I took as my undergraduate electives.  [Silly me, I thought it'd be fun.]  Naturally, I had to track down their works!  Later, I went to a graduate student conference about 7 years ago that renewed my interest.  A Hungarian fellow attended and he presented his paper about the trial's influence on dissidents in the years following.  At the time, I spent a lot of time researching dissident movements in political practice and this trial was a really good example to focus upon.  I got a little 'obsessed' with samizdat too.  So, from there, I tried to learn as much as I could.  I'm a bit of a geek but I find it fascinating to make all the connections between the intelligentsia at the time. [Dynamics and relationships.]  I 100 % completely agree with you "their resistance and refusal to make compromises was quite fascinating..."   :)

Have a good evening, kristina!

Thank you, Ukrainian Tracksuit
It is interesting that the Hungarian fellow presented a paper about the trial's influence on dissidents in the following years...
I also believe that this book and the news about the Sinyavsky - Daniel trial had a great influence on people's resistance and refusal ...
...  because the book about the trial gave many people hope again ... and there was also a great solidarity coming from the West...
... I have studied this book so many years ago, but I feel as if I only read it yesterday and that is why I had to find out more about it ...

Have a good evening, Ukrainian Tracksuit !

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1204 on: April 05, 2014, 04:38:22 AM »

They are American but obtainable on Amazon.
Great ideas for bulk cooking for the freezer or just generally.
Ihad some chicken so made 4 chicken curries and 4 chicken supremes, wrapped individually in the freezer.
That's about as organised as I get with food  :clap;

Our next major purchase is going to be a chest freezer. Gwyn doesn't know this yet! I've priced them and know which one I am going to order. They do pay for themselves (eventually) and save so much time when you can cook large batches.

Finished Vile Bodies. It was only OK. One of his later works, I believe, and it showed. Back to the library it goes. I've got some Graham Greene I'll be starting next.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1205 on: May 14, 2014, 02:04:46 AM »

I finished The Ministry of Fear by Graham Greene - it was a typical Greene novel about cloak and dagger stuff set in World War II. He manages to elevate these stories to something more than the sum of their parts, though. He generally starts with some unassuming, quietly tortured man and throws them into a somewhat extraordinary situation with equally ordinary, incredibly human companions on the journey. I read an article once claiming that Greene had made an enemy of some powerful figure in Stockholm and was subsequently cheated out of a Nobel Prize.

I am now reading his The End of the Affair and enjoying it even more than Ministry of Fear. A little jewel of a study on human jealousy, love and hate.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #1206 on: May 14, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »

I like Graham Greene, The Human Factor was a great book.

Have just finished reading THE ROSIE PROJECT
What a fantastic book, about a guy who has aspergers and tries to find a wife who will meet his exacting expectations. Funny sad and moving all at once!

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1207 on: May 20, 2014, 03:11:38 PM »

Have just finished reading THE ROSIE PROJECT
What a fantastic book, about a guy who has aspergers and tries to find a wife who will meet his exacting expectations. Funny sad and moving all at once!
This does sound really interesting. I'll have to look out for it.

I really enjoyed The End of the Affair. It turned into a fascinating account of the relationship between atheism and religion. I haven't yet found my next book to get excited about. :(

I've noticed that my local library has started offering Overdrive, so I can borrow e-books again. Yay!

richard88

« Reply #1208 on: May 26, 2014, 05:08:11 PM »

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1209 on: May 26, 2014, 08:32:13 PM »

Lost In Transplantation by Eldonna Edwards (2014)

Memoir of an Unconventional Organ Donor

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1210 on: May 27, 2014, 10:53:27 AM »

I am reading a fascinating collection of old Arabian folk tales called "One Thousand and One Nights",
originally from around the 9th century and first translated into English in 1706.

Nikolai Andreyevich Rimsky-Korsakov composed his symphonic suite "Scheherazade" after reading these Arabian folk tales ...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #1211 on: May 28, 2014, 06:19:10 AM »

I have just started
Before we met by Lucie Whitehouse.
Really gripping  ;D

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1212 on: June 02, 2014, 01:49:47 PM »

Gods and Soldiers, a selection of essays and short stories by writers from all over Africa, all the big names but some I've never heard of as well. Not too far into it yet, but it's wonderful so far.

Ninanna

« Reply #1213 on: June 02, 2014, 04:16:43 PM »

The Fault in our Stars - A young adult novel in which the characters have cancer. The ending was predictable, but the journey was fantastic. I think anyone with renal failure can relate to this book really well. There is also a movie for it coming out soon.

Spring 2006 - Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy
June 2013 - Listed on transplant list
Feb 4th 2014 - Kidney and bone marrow tx (both from my mother) as part of a clinical trial at Hopkins
lainiepop

« Reply #1214 on: June 03, 2014, 03:45:23 AM »

'Mortal Instrument, city of bones'

wanted to see the film never got round to it, so started the book, got the second one redy too

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #1215 on: June 08, 2014, 07:41:04 AM »

The Fault in our Stars - A young adult novel in which the characters have cancer. The ending was predictable, but the journey was fantastic. I think anyone with renal failure can relate to this book really well. There is also a movie for it coming out soon.

Love that book ... not sure I want to see the film because neither of the main characters look how I wanted them to look!  Plus, there's so much in the book which can't possibly be translated effectively to the big screen.

'Mortal Instrument, city of bones'

wanted to see the film never got round to it, so started the book, got the second one redy too

I love those books (the film is good too). 

I've been having a Young Adult Fiction vampire phase in the last few weeks.  Really, I'm quite addicted (currently reading The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, by Holly Black.) I've also borrowed Divergent from the library ... haven't seen the film but hear the book is brilliant.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
lainiepop

« Reply #1216 on: June 10, 2014, 12:06:58 AM »

Hoping to watch the film soon poppy, have nearly finished the first book, have trouble concentrating, too much channel hopping and then i fall asleep lol.

Have u read the vampire diaries books? I read a few but they were so different from the tv series i gave up didnt like them

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
Ninanna

« Reply #1217 on: June 10, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »

Love that book ... not sure I want to see the film because neither of the main characters look how I wanted them to look!  Plus, there's so much in the book which can't possibly be translated effectively to the big screen.

I only finished it two weeks ago and already I think I am going to read it again soon.

Spring 2006 - Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy
June 2013 - Listed on transplant list
Feb 4th 2014 - Kidney and bone marrow tx (both from my mother) as part of a clinical trial at Hopkins
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1218 on: June 10, 2014, 11:10:55 AM »

I enjoyed Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt.  I started reading the book without knowing anything about it so I learned as a moved through the book which was good. 

It was a good telling of a family dealing with an uncle who died from AIDS early in the Epidemic and a family that refused to acknowledge his partner, told from the standpoint of a teenage daughter and framed around a painting of two sisters created by the uncle prior to dyeing.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1219 on: June 11, 2014, 06:41:35 AM »

Glenn Beck, Arguing With Idiots

More of a Common sense rant against the apathetic and ineffectual handling of societal problems. The passing of laws, measures, implementation of policies that fail to address the root cause of a problem.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #1220 on: June 16, 2014, 11:09:04 AM »

Glenn Beck, Arguing With Idiots

More of a Common sense rant against the apathetic and ineffectual handling of societal problems. The passing of laws, measures, implementation of policies that fail to address the root cause of a problem.

That sounds interesting. Is it a very long rant?

10 years of half a life
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1221 on: June 16, 2014, 02:21:57 PM »

Full size bound book, inch thick.  Dvided into Chapters, Second Amendment, Taxes, Nanny State, etc.

Actually pretty well done, documented, footnoted with references, so it is far more than one man's rant, but a well laid out presentation of contradictions.

Politicians very often say one thing but do totally the opposite, yet 'We the People' keep re-electing them into office.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #1222 on: June 17, 2014, 08:26:48 AM »

Have u read the vampire diaries books? I read a few but they were so different from the tv series i gave up didnt like them

No, never have done.  I refuse to.  I've read some of LJ Smith's other young adult books but they're all exactly the same. Ordinary, but very beautiful, girl falls in love with very handsome, but mysterious, boy who turns out to be a vampire/werewolf/other mythical beast and she goes all gooey - "make me one of you, please!" - and he goes all "must save the damsel" and they live happily ever after. Every bluddy time.  It gets boring after a while.

;D

I'm now reading a young adult book about dark, mysterious aliens.  It follows a similar premise to LJ Smith's books actually ... ho-hum!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1223 on: June 28, 2014, 04:57:29 AM »

Did anyone read 'while my sister sleeps' by Barbara Delinsky?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly