I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 03, 2020, 04:27:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
530310 Posts in 33401 Topics by 12422 Members
Latest Member: ColinKint
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion (Moderator: cassandra)
| | |-+  Any one on graph for hemo
kristina and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any one on graph for hemo  (Read 90 times)
Seaweed

Great day to be alive and thankful

« on: July 29, 2020, 10:27:53 PM »

Hi all. I had to switch to in home hemo
But i believe Dr wants to put a graph
Is there anyone out there that has one
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 10:39:56 AM »

Do you mean graft?
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 01:52:18 PM »

Yes itís the safest form of access fit hemo. Itís commonly referred to as a fistula.  A vascular surgeon takes a vien and artery and connects them. I have had one fo 10 years now.
kitkatz
Administrator/Owner
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 08:59:51 AM »

There are three types of access for dialysis.

Chest catheter with tubes that go in and out of you chest that are used for dialysis.

A graft is a bovine or plastic piece that connects an artery and vein. It can be used with 2 to 4 weeks after the arm has healed.

A fistula is an vein connected to an artery to make it large enough to do dialysis.  A fistula requires time to develop usually 6-8 weeks or more are needed until the fistula has matured enough to use.

Clarify these things with your doctor.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 12:23:11 PM »

Grafts are generally a second choice to fistulas, as they have a limited life of 2 years +/-.   I used a fistula for 6 years and its still buzzing away 2 years after transplant.

You always enter a graft with the needle at a 45deg angle.  That was the only question I had to guess on on the home hemo test, and they didn't bother mentioning that point in the training since I had a fistula - which is probably why I will always remember this detail.

There are other types beside the three - femoral line (temporary); various leg fistulas (or is is fustulii?); necklace fistula (obscure and complex, never saw one of these)

If a graft is recommended, ask why you are not suitable for a regular fistula.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:25:46 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 05:55:38 PM »

Yes, I did dialysis for a short time with a arteriovenous graft if that is what you mean. I struggled with the creation of a good fistula (finally got a good one buzzing away), but like said above, it was able to be used quickly. And like previously said, it didn't last too long, in comparison to a fistula. That's all that there is to say, I guess.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »