I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  If you want to work part time on disability...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you want to work part time on disability...  (Read 3123 times)
SunshineOfHope2

« on: January 25, 2020, 04:27:44 PM »

I receive disability from the SSA. I am wondering if you want to work a few hours a week, (less than 10 hours)  if that triggers a review on your case? My approval letter did not say when I would be reviewed.. when I got the letter (most state there are review times like 3 years, 4 years, 7 years.) I just wondered for those of you on SSDI if you have attempted to work a small amount and if that triggered a review? For those who have not attempted to work a small amount, how often were you reviewed? I worry that trying to work a sedentary part time job might hurt my benefits. (I know I report wages but I worry more about being removed if I did work---likely silly I know but..) It makes me not want to attempt to work a small amount and it could only be on non-dialysis days, as the dialysis days I am too weak and go home and lay down. I also have very low BP so that complicates my strength and feeling faint. Thanks.   :waving;
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 05:26:07 PM »

You are allowed (I think) $1260/month before it impacts your disability.

I had two months where I worked more than that (getting paid to not testify in court, sort of like getting paid not to grow corn) and in the end they were counted as 2 of my 9 months "trial work period" before I was taken off of SSDI.
SunshineOfHope2

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 04:07:48 PM »

Do you recall any type of time frame for a review? On my approval letter, there is no mention of when I would be reviewed. When do most ESRD patients get reviewed on average? I know there are averages such as 3 years, 5 years, 7 years.

Thanks.  :waving;
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 09:19:54 AM »

Son is on SSD although another disability and not on Dialysis like I am.  Anyway, Son has reviews every number of years.

Myself,, on Dialysis, I don't think I have ever had a review and it's been a bit over 12 years already.

Dialysis does not  go away.  My Disability will never end.

Social Security did change my payments from SSD to straight SS since I turned 65.  sort of an accounting change on their end.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 09:40:08 PM »

It’s actually more than a accounting change the SSD and SSA payments are out of two separate funds.  A couple of years ago the SSD fund was almost out of money and if it ran out the payments would have been cut by a third. 
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 02:00:13 PM »

Dialysis does not  go away.  My Disability will never end.

Social Security did change my payments from SSD to straight SS since I turned 65.  sort of an accounting change on their end.
Sometimes it does, and you get booted off eventually.   I went back to work after the transplant and was allowed 9 months "trial work period" where I collected a nice salary plus disability based on a maxed out SS contribution for many years, and even got a few months grace period at the end.    I had to contact SS to remind them I needed a review so they could drop me.

A nice thing about transitioning directly from SSD to SS is that the SSD amount is often greater than the SS amount you would get, but they let you collect based on the SSD amount if there is a direct transfer.
SunshineOfHope2

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 02:02:44 PM »

My SSDI and my FRA amount are the same on my benefits page. I receive SSDI. At some point it transitions to SS when I become 65. The payment amount is the same. Thank you for answering my questions. My disability is for life, unless I get a transplant.  :'(
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 05:32:37 AM »

My SSDI and my FRA amount are the same on my benefits page. I receive SSDI. At some point it transitions to SS when I become 65. The payment amount is the same. Thank you for answering my questions. My disability is for life, unless I get a transplant.  :'(
The amount is the same is you transition directly.  If you go off SS disability before retiring, you get the standard calculation for the amount that may be a bit lower.
Alexysis

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 03:50:06 PM »

Actually, it's the amount you would get if you retire at 62, not 65.
Shaks24

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 06:59:48 AM »

ESRD with dialysis is considered a permanent impairment which gets a MINE (medical improvement not expected) review of benefits classification. This calls for review of benefits every 5 - 7 years. However, the SSA can do reviews at any time. If you report work this may trigger a review but if the work is minimal more than likely benefits will continue if you are still on dialysis and earning less than the limit they consider to be substantial gainful activity which for 2020 is $1260 per month.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
Hereware

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 07:49:13 PM »

Nice to  know that there is wfh for this kind of situation.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 09:38:21 PM »

Actually the payments are based as the amount you would get if you reached full retirement age in my case 66.  The month I turned 66 my disability turned into regular social security.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 09:00:52 PM »

The SS agency does correlate income tax return earnings report with disability benefits and when the total is over the monthly limit can (and at least sometimes does) write the recipient demanding an accounting as to when throughout the year the income was paid.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 04:04:35 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 01:44:47 PM »

I should point out I applied for disability when I was 62, the amount I received was the Sam as I would have gotten if I filed for SSA at 66. So I received the 66 year total for almost 4 years till I turned 66 and then was transferred to SSA from SSDI.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »