I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:35:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Water pills
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Water pills  (Read 3469 times)
SweetyPie

« on: December 11, 2019, 11:41:51 PM »

Anyone been prescribed water pills? If you are a kidney transplant patient and are peeing why are these pills needed? Do they work well?
I keep a food diary of foods i eat and barely eat much salt (everything is made at home so I know what is going in my food) my sodium levels are within range YET my upper body ESPECIALLY face stays swollen from the minute i wake up till i go to sleep.
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 04:29:56 AM »

Do you have high blood pressure? I was put on water pills for that, but taken off when my kidney function got very low. I'm assuming that if I get a transplant, I will be put back on all the medication I was taken off of due to knackered kidneys. This will presumably include water pills for high blood pressure.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 04:43:49 AM »

Hi Aaiha, is your face swollen around your eyes? If so, it’s liquid, if not it could be from Prednison

Some bp meds make you retain liquid too.

Good luck my darling, love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
SweetyPie

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 12:30:10 PM »

Do you have high blood pressure? I was put on water pills for that, but taken off when my kidney function got very low. I'm assuming that if I get a transplant, I will be put back on all the medication I was taken off of due to knackered kidneys. This will presumably include water pills for high blood pressure.
No I dont have high blood pressure. When I was on dialysis I used to have extremely low pressures ever since the transplant the blood pressures are within range. But for a long time I always had low pressures so for ME this would be considered high. I know its weird
SweetyPie

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 12:33:45 PM »

Hi Aaiha, is your face swollen around your eyes? If so, it’s liquid, if not it could be from Prednison

Some bp meds make you retain liquid too.

Good luck my darling, love, Cas

Hi Cas,

Yes that is exactly where the swelling is around the eyes. I strongly believe its liquid. Im on a low dose of prednsione and the doctor said you should not have much side effects while on such a low dose (5mg). Should I ask for water pills? I want to see if it would make a difference in my face.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 12:19:28 AM »

I have minimal residual kidney function, after a monster heart attack in 2016 I also suffer from congestive heart failure.  Late last summer my fistula had began to swell.  It got so bad my knuckles disappeared.  The only thing that worked in getting the swelling down was the lasix pills my cardiologist prescribed.  While my output went up slightly the effects on my hand was immediate and dramatic my nephrologist feels the lasix moved the fluid from my hand and made it more removable during dialysis.
SweetyPie

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 08:04:50 AM »

I have minimal residual kidney function, after a monster heart attack in 2016 I also suffer from congestive heart failure.  Late last summer my fistula had began to swell.  It got so bad my knuckles disappeared.  The only thing that worked in getting the swelling down was the lasix pills my cardiologist prescribed.  While my output went up slightly the effects on my hand was immediate and dramatic my nephrologist feels the lasix moved the fluid from my hand and made it more removable during dialysis.

Not being able to see ypur knuckles I know the exact feeling. I will try to tell my doctor how uncomfortable I feel with the extra fluid on me its no fun. Some days im so swollen i dont feel hungry.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 05:32:33 AM »

Always a good idea to discuss it with your dr. I remember I only needed and was prescribed ‘water pills’ after I started losing my dad’s kidney. They are not very good for kidney’s, those pills. I used Solidago (herbal) when I wasn’t allowed Frusemide(Lasix), which worked for years.

:cuddle;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
SweetyPie

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 08:15:31 AM »

Always a good idea to discuss it with your dr. I remember I only needed and was prescribed ‘water pills’ after I started losing my dad’s kidney. They are not very good for kidney’s, those pills. I used Solidago (herbal) when I wasn’t allowed Frusemide(Lasix), which worked for years.

:cuddle;

The pills are bad wheh you take them regularly for an extended time. For me although I am swollen everyday there are some days Im worse to the point where I feel pressure in my face and head.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 11:36:52 AM »

The solution is to get your water pill Rxs from a transplant nephrologist and no one else.

Lasix(Frusemide) works on the proximal (ascending) side of the Loop of Henle and Clortahalidone works on the distal(descending) side of the loop.

I know from personal experience that a little bit of each can have a profound reducing effect on Cankles, but the medical people call it pedal edema.  If it's pitting (depression remains after pressing and removing a finger into the cankle) it's definitely time for a talk at your next xplant maintenance appointment.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 11:40:26 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
SweetyPie

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 01:48:31 PM »

The solution is to get your water pill Rxs from a transplant nephrologist and no one else.

Lasix(Frusemide) works on the proximal (ascending) side of the Loop of Henle and Clortahalidone works on the distal(descending) side of the loop.

I know from personal experience that a little bit of each can have a profound reducing effect on Cankles, but the medical people call it pedal edema.  If it's pitting (depression remains after pressing and removing a finger into the cankle) it's definitely time for a talk at your next xplant maintenance appointment.

Could you explain that further. Furesomide works where?
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 06:39:31 AM »

Could you explain that further. Furesomide works where?
On the priximal/ascending side of the Loop of Henle, which is a renal structure.  Read about it at:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1712711   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1uwEbbRqpM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_of_Henle
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 03:55:28 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
SweetyPie

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 11:37:29 AM »

Spoke to my doctor and he declined lasix. He asked how I knew for sure it ws fluid I said Ive been on dialysis for a long time and can tell what is fluid and what is not. He said that the swelling didnt seem a lot to him compared to other people. A lot of people say they dont see it because of my size which sucks because theh think im exaggerating. The doctor also mentioned saying if he were to give me lasix and it wasnt fluid it would dehydrate my body and damage the kidney which definitely scared me.
I just need tips especially in the mornings how to get rid of the puffy eyes, face and abdomen area. Theres swelling in my legs as well but im not worried because you can easily cover it up and im pretty small so the swollen legs helps me fit into my jeans.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »