I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistulagram on Thursday
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistulagram on Thursday  (Read 3930 times)
jambo101

« on: September 03, 2019, 12:12:40 PM »

Oh Joy the fun just never ends, am now scheduled for fistulagram on Thursday and most likely an angioplasty to go along with it  ::) Any one had this process and what did you think?

Thanks

Jim
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 02:18:39 PM »

It’s not that bad. You lay on an operating table and get moved around to make photo’s. They’ll give you a local anaesthetic. Than they’ll make a small cut (like a D-needle) go in with a pro-by kind of thing which they slide into your fistula. They’ll find narrowings/stenosis, and will stretch it with a balloon. When too painful, just say. They can give you something for the pain.

Good luck Jambo.

O, what did I think? It’s okay. Might be a bit bruised afterwards.

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
LorinnPKD

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »

Same!  I've had three and they all went smoothly.  Two weeks ago, I had an angio with a banding procedure (for high flow) and it was a piece of cake.

At my clinic, I had to fast for 8 hours beforehand and arrange for a friend to drive me home, and then I wasn't supposed to drive for 24 hours, so be sure you have some food at home for your recovery. For the procedure itself, we had a full surgical setup with gown, lights, the works.  They used injected lidocaine to numb the site, fentanyl for pain, and versed to make you a little drowsy.

At the beginning, there was a short burning/stinging sensation -- to me, it feels like touching the head of a match right after you've blown it out. The angio itself wasn't painful, just pressure here and there and they can adjust meds if you're uncomfortable. 

They made 2-3 small stitches that dissolved within a couple of weeks.  (They can remove the suture once it's healed if you like, but it'll dissolve on its own.)  I was cleared to go to dialysis that very afternoon had that been my schedule, but I went on an off-day.  I like to use band-aids to protect my angio sutures so they don't get caught up in all the dialysis taping, and the techs are skilled at working with me to position the band-aid and cannulate around it.

Each time, I had some soreness for a few days but didn't need anything more than Tylenol.  They may ask you to not lift anything heavy for a little while. 

You'll do fine!
jambo101

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 04:17:25 PM »

Thanks. im nervous about the procedure.

Jim
GA_DAWG

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 08:33:09 PM »

They schedule mine to be done every six months. Mine is done at a vascular center also owned by Fresenius. It is a mild form of anaesthetic, but they still make you have a driver afterwards. Most of the time, I wonder if they even put me out. For me, it is one stitch that is removed before I leave. They used to leave the stitch to be taken out at the clinic, but said too many clinics would not take the stitch out the next day and it was causing problems. One thing, they use a contrast dye that contains iodine. I am allergic to it so I have to take steroids the night before and morning of each procedure.
Cowdog

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 07:15:13 AM »

You will be fine.
I've had well over a dozen procedures done, probably closer to twenty. My records there are as thick as an old Sears catalog. Was on the 6 month schedule for several years but my fistula has had less stenosis over the past few years. Actually went almost two years without intervention. My flow rate is >2000 usually and requires work when it gets below 1200 or will run high pressures during treatment.
Lidocaine where they go in, feels like a bee sting. I don't get sedation so I drive myself. Usually go from work, get the procedure and back at work within a couple or three  hours. I go to a vascular center, been seeing the same two doctors there for over ten years.

Hemo in Center since 11/2008
Self Cannulate since 2011
In Center Self Care since 2012
jambo101

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 07:12:31 AM »

Its now Thursday, Sheduled time of procedure is noon ,not feeling so good  :( I'll get back later and give my impressions of the procedure. :banghead;

Jim
LorinnPKD

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 12:39:28 PM »

I bet you a bright shiny quarter that everything will go OK!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 12:05:39 AM by LorinnPKD » Logged
jambo101

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 03:46:01 PM »

Well had the procedure and thought all my worrying was for nothing as i laid on the table for an hour and felt nothing, interesting the imaging  visuals were right in my face so i watched the whole procedure from camera going in to the balloon being pumped up, i guess next week we will try needling the fistula again and maybe rid myself onf this catheter by Xmas. :2thumbsup;

Jim
GA_DAWG

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 07:02:29 PM »

I always see them starting the procedure on the screen, thenn next thing I know they are helping me up. That's why I always have to think if they actually put me under. Glad it all went well for you.
LorinnPKD

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 12:05:59 AM »

Wonderful, wonderful!
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 07:52:22 AM »

Good news

:cheer:

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 11:13:15 PM »

I have had a few sadistic doctors who do not believe this procedure can hurt when ballooning.  I am a big girl and often they will not give me enough pain meds to help it.  A few times early on it was okay, but now I hurt head to toe and it makes pain added on worse.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 05:16:58 AM »

I have another scheduled for the 18th.

I hate it when they cover my face.  The anxiety builds when I cannot see and am forced to just lay there.

I have to laugh as I can FEEL the cath worm its way through the blood vessel.  Then the burn as it balloons up.  More fentenyal in my IV and the burn quickly stops, then the worm begins crawling again, repeat everything.

I much rather watch the progress on the screen.

It really is fascinating that this can be done.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 05:44:27 AM »

Lots of us are able to watch and don’t have our face covered. Ask if it’s an option?

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
jambo101

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »

Just ask them to lose the blindfold.

Jim
GA_DAWG

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 09:47:27 PM »

They block it so I cannot see my arm, but leave it where I can see the monitor, until I go night night.
jambo101

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 08:59:00 PM »

Would not have thought the procedure required being rendered unconscious,just a bit of a freeze at injection site and i felt nothing.

Jim
GA_DAWG

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2019, 09:22:39 AM »

I have never felt anything due to being sedated, but from the explanation I have been given, if they have to remove a clot, it can be painful. I do know that on the occasions I have had clots removed, my arm has usually been really bruised, almost as if they had to get a grip on it and force the balloon or other device through the clot. 
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2019, 10:06:36 PM »

Had it done on the 18th.  There was an initial burnn from a large lidocaine injection, after that, Nothing.

I waited and waited, but never did feel that 'worm' crawling up the vessel.  Nor did I feel any burns as it inflated.

It was a different Dr this time.  I suspect he ordered pain med added prior to every inflation to prevent the burn.

I was so surprised when he said they were done as I wasn't sure he had really done anything.

Sometimes I get VERY Fortunate.
GA_DAWG

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2019, 07:52:24 AM »

When I first started the Dr would give the sedation after he got the thing in my arm, unless it was clotted. Took me a bit of time to figure out that if it was clotted, the meds wouldn't go through either. Now though, they use a nurse anesthesiologist.
jambo101

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 06:13:28 AM »

What ever they did its working as i've now had half a dozen successful fistula hookups, hopefully they can get this hideous catheter out of my chest by Easter. :pray;

Jim
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2019, 09:06:10 PM »

I have been ballooned in my fistula with not enough pain meds and then one doc who did it perfectly and I felt very little pain.  I would guess I expect pain so I feel pain.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jambo101

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 01:55:54 AM »

What ever they did its working as i've now had half a dozen successful fistula hookups, hopefully they can get this hideous catheter out of my chest by Easter. :pray;
Got my wish, as they accidentally pulled the catheter out so they took the rest of it out. its beern a month now of fistula only..

Jim
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »