I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:18:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  I'm getting a kidney tomorrow!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm getting a kidney tomorrow!  (Read 2757 times)
pinkyD

« on: August 07, 2019, 08:16:33 PM »

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. UNTIL TODAY! I was initially called as a backup, but my tx coord called me back and told me I am now primary. The donor is high risk (I've been told risk of any infection is very low), but with a KDPI of 1%. That's amazing considering my EPTS >20. The surgery is scheduled to take place tomorrow evening, so I'll be a total wreck until then. How do I prepare? What do I take to the hospital? Tx always seemed so far off that I never prepared for it.

*previously known as pinky_22*
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 04:58:25 AM »

Congratulations! 

Try to relax a bit by doing things that calm you. I only had about an hour before I needed to head in but am happy I had time for the relaxing quick bath I take each morning.

Take in loose clothes, nothing with a tight waist line as you will be very sensitive at the surgery site when you head home.

It took me days to feel like using my phone so that type of thing is less important once you get sedated.

Finally remember there is a chance this kidney might not end up happening so be prepared for a let down just incase but if that happens be happy you are close.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
LorinnPKD

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 08:00:27 AM »

Deep breaths!

I just had the opposite surgery (nephrectomy!) and I brought loose pajamas and slippers for the hospital, a toiletry bag, my busted up old iPad for watching movies (they had wifi for netflix!), my phone and charger. I was conked out most of the time!

Wishing you all the best!
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 09:35:13 PM »

Congrats pinkyD, how u doing?

:clap;

Lots of love, luck and strength, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
gilders

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 02:59:51 AM »

Congratulations PinkyD!
Hope you're on your way to recovery.
I'm nearly 5 months in to my transplant now and doing quite well. A few ups and downs and a suspected rejection episode, but this last month things are settling down with my function hovering around 37%.
pinkyD

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 03:19:34 AM »

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Sadly, I have to report that the transplant didn't happen. You were right on the nose iolaire! I was ready to go under, IV in and hair net on, then it was stopped at the last minute. The surgeon came in and told me another patient needed a liver/kidney tx and took priority over me. The tx folks have been very vague about the details so that's about all I know about it. I'm still reeling a bit about the whole thing. What a day. At least next time I won't be so nervous and know what to expect. :2thumbsup;

pinkyD

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 03:24:12 AM »

Congratulations PinkyD!
Hope you're on your way to recovery.
I'm nearly 5 months in to my transplant now and doing quite well. A few ups and downs and a suspected rejection episode, but this last month things are settling down with my function hovering around 37%.

I'm glad your kidney issues have settled down. Is 37% the expected level of function after transplant?

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 03:41:48 AM »

Jeeeeez what a bummer that is PinkyD !!!
Good luck with getting that one out of your system. But you know that you’re close.

Have a nice cup of chamomile tea  :angel;

Lots of love, luck and strength, Cas

:grouphug;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 05:20:24 AM »

Sorry for the huge letdown. I only lost many kidneys as a backup never at the hospital and that in itself was very stressful so I hate to think how hard it would have been on you. I hope you have a kidney after the next call.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
gilders

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 08:40:51 AM »

Hi PinkyD,
I'm so sorry to hear to hear about the transplant not happening. I can understand some other organ transplants taking precedence, but if it was another kidney transplant I would be fuming.
My transplant was a living donor (my dad), so double surgery rooms were booked. But they still warned me that if there wasn't 2 beds available, then they couldn't operate.

As for 37% being the expected function level, I was told it could be anything from 20-90%. For the first couple of months it averaged 44%. I then had a suspected episode of rejection, which was dealt with promptly. Then from mid April to mid July there was a constant, slow decline to 35%. Since then, there has been a slow increase and my most recent test shows a function of 38%.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »