I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 19, 2019, 11:19:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
527837 Posts in 33155 Topics by 12285 Members
Latest Member: mattbrown
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want. (Moderator: Charlie B53)
| | |-+  The Bible, Granny Panties and Life Stuff
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bible, Granny Panties and Life Stuff  (Read 214 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: June 03, 2019, 12:46:53 AM »

My husband likes to read the Bible from time to time. He's not a "Holy Roller" or preachy but the other day he did recite a little from the Bible to teach me something. Since I've been under the weather lately I haven't gotten out much. Not even to buy myself some much-needed new underwear to replace the ones I've been wearing for half my marriage that are now sporting tears and holes. Well, I guess hubby couldn't stand it any more so he went out and bought me several new pairs. They were the right brand, the right size and color. They fit perfectly. He's a real gem for doing that. When I thanked him he said that when the Lord said we should lead a life of holiness he doesn't think He meant that to include our underwear.  ::) 

What say you? Got any life lessons you want to share?  :waiting;

Husband has ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his carepartner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 04:31:03 AM »

No life lessons to share yet PT, but I love yours. Please give your hubby a cuddle from me too

:cuddle;

And get better soon sweety, love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
       still on waitinglist, still ok I think
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 08:42:33 AM »

Actually, I do have one story to share.

Two weeks ago, my husband and I had just returned home from holiday.  It was dark, cold and wet.  Our taxi had just pulled away as we were trying to open the garage door.  It would not open. 

My husband tried to use his keys to get inside the house.  In an abundance of caution, I had locked the storm door, and for whatever reason, he did not have a key to that door on his keychain.

Remember, it was raining.

I had put a spare set of keys hidden in the garage, but as the garage door would not open, I could not get to them.

I had also put a spare set outside in an undisclosed place.  I managed to retrieve those, and after struggling with various keys finally found one that would open the back door.  So, at least we got in.

We tried to open the garage door manually from inside the garage, but the large spring had broken, so we could not open it.

I forgot to mention that this was a Sunday night, so despite being able to call for emergency service, they would not come out to help us.  We had no food in the house so had to order something to eat to be delivered.

Things just kept getting worse.  I could write a small book of all the things I found that had gone wrong in the house while we were away, but I will spare you.

The next day, I spent all morning doing all of the laundry and trying to get the house back in order.  The garage got fixed, and we were able to go get food.

While my husband was waiting in line to get cheese at the deli, I went to get eggs and a half gallon of milk from a local dairy; it comes in heavy glass containers.

I was utterly exhausted, and I couldn't find my husband...who had the shopping cart.  After wandering all over the store, I found myself back near the eggs, holding on to these heavy and fragile items, and I turned my back to the world and started to cry.  I couldn't stop.

It was all so silly, but I was beaten.  It was as if everything that was causing me anxiety in my life bubbled, then blasted, upwards. 

A very nice lady came up to me and asked me if I had just had some bad news.  She was so kind.  I explained tearfully that no, I was just fine, but that we'd just come back from holiday and our house was broken and I was just so tired and I couldn't find my husband and he had the cart and ...  She asked me if she were to find a good looking man, should she send him my way.  LOL!  That made me laugh, and I felt much better.

I finally found my husband still waiting for his cheese.   ::)

The next thing I knew, this nice lady found me again and gave me a small bouquet of flowers!  I nearly cried again. 

Quick flashback....when I first went to the tx center for my pre-tx evaluation, I got into a conversation with one of the many people I had to talk to that day about tea.  The next person I had to talk to was the surgeon, and during our conversation, the first person quietly interrupted and gave me one of her precious bags of tea.  I was very touched.

Anyway, those are the only two times I can remember being  the recipient of a "random act of kindness".  In these divisive times, I think it is even more important to just be kind to everyone, especially to those you do not know.  A smile, an apology (no one ever seems to say, "I was wrong, and I am sorry."), a kind word, a "random act of kindness", or a "thank you" can make all the difference in a day in the life of anyone you may encounter.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Cupcake

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 12:29:20 PM »

That is a lovely story, MM. Hard to imagine you in a peek of funk. Glad it was transient and you so eloquently reminded everyone to have gratitude and to be kind to our fellow beings.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 07:43:19 PM »

Cassandra: Now whenever I look at my underwear I think about the life of "holiness" I've been living!  :rofl;

MooseMom: I loved your stories and so very much agree! I try not to judge people and because of that I am finding myself more comfortable with some of them and in turn, less stressed. Random acts of kindness also goes a long way, for both the giver and the recipient. I love being the giver tho, it can be a lot of fun.

I was his carepartner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 08:00:07 PM »

I love being the giver tho, it can be a lot of fun.

I love being the giver, too.  The day that I found out I had been formally and officially approved for the wait list, I was in Houston, visiting my very ill mother (she ended up passing away a few weeks later).

Anyway, I had taken a break from the hospital and had gone out for a bite of lunch.  I got the phone call about the wait list while I was eating.  I was so grateful to just have the CHANCE at a normal life and didn't know how to express that gratitude.  I couldn't speak to my mother; I was quite alone.  So, I had a quiet word with the waiter at the restaurant and asked him to put the bill for the party of 3 sitting at the next table on my tab.  They looked so unhappy.  Well, the restaurant WAS near the hospital, so maybe they had a loved one in dire straits.

They never found out who had treated them to lunch.  That memory still makes me smile.

I hope you are feeling better, PT.  I bet you look smashing in your new undies!   :cuddle;  Give your husband a hug; tell him it's from MooseMom on IHD who very much likes your panties story and who thinks he's brilliant!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Naynay99

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 02:08:04 PM »

Love the underwear and supermarket stories!

Random acts of kindness make us keep our faith in the inherent goodness of the human race.
I must say I have often had people help me out when Iím in need- I always figured people on the outside can tell I am struggling with life and take pity on me, but my friend says itís because I radiate positive vibes.  Idk which is true. 

Moose- I had a bad day at a college where I was taking a photo class, and for some reason that day I couldnít get the film on the spool in the canister and was already frustrated and just busted out crying.  I Went outside for some air, still crying, and this security guard came over and was so nice. She asked what was wrong, if I wanted to talk about it, etc.  After I kept shaking my head no she asked ďdo u want to just stand here and cry for a while?Ē...  To which I did and she just stayed there with me, not saying anything.
There really are some good eggs out there in the world. 
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 02:24:35 PM »

Awww, Naynay.   :grouphug;

Charlie B53
Global Moderator
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 11:38:16 AM »

I tell all the Ladies at Wife's Nursing home that I Love them all as they treat Wife as if she were their Mother.

I can't afford to tip them so I stop by WalGreens every Friday afternoon and buy three bags each of Werthers Soft Caramel with a liquid Chocolate center and three bags of Reisens Carramels coated with Dark Chocolate.

A bag of each goes on the Nurses Desk for all to share Fri afternoon, Sat and Sunday.   They all have a sweet tooth.

A week or so ago I overheard one Nurse calling her Daughter trying to get her to bake her a pan of brownies and bring them in while still warm.  It didn't work.  So I brought in FOUR boxes of mix, all different brands, and four bags of different types of chocolate chips.   Nurse handed half to the kitchen Ladies, they immediately whipped it up.  We all pigged on Brownies Saturday.   And will again next Sat.

Nurses like to eat, and drink.  I've brought a couple of fried chickens.

Make runs to a local drive in for huge cups of lemonades.

Anything to make their shift brighter.

They take great care of my Wife.

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 08:55:41 PM »

That's very nice of you, Charlie! I learned a long time ago sometimes it's the most simplest of things that bring the most enjoyment. Especially if it includes caramel and chocolite!  :rofl;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »