I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 11:23:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Milk
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Milk  (Read 16474 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: February 22, 2006, 03:48:29 PM »

Is there a difference in phosphorus (I assume that's the reason you shouldn't drink it) between regular and skim milk?  What about soy or goat milk?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 07:39:29 PM »

Milk, nonfat, 1 cup 247 to 275 mg of Phosphorus
Milk, 1% lowfat 1 cup 235 to 273
Milk, 2% lowfat 1 cup (don't know)
Milk, Whole 1 cup 228
Buttermile 1 cup 219

So it is better to drink Buttermilk.  :D  I get Rice Dream for my cereal.  It is rice milk.  Gross by itself, but with cereal it is tolerable.

susie q

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 04:51:11 AM »

I love milk also so when I have some I make sure to take tums with it, except when I have cereal at night and have just taken my thyroid med..  Do not use Tums 2 hrs before or after taking thyroid meds... neutralizes it...  :o
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 07:53:37 AM »

I love milk also so when I have some I make sure to take tums with it, except when I have cereal at night and have just taken my thyroid med..  Do not use Tums 2 hrs before or after taking thyroid meds... neutralizes it...  :o

Not just Tums -- thyroid meds should be taken on an empty stomach -- either 1 hour before eating (including drinking milk) or 2 hours after.  Using the sublingual natural Armour tabs makes that less of an issue.  IMO, dialysis patients have enough to worry about w/o having to arrange food consumption around thyroid meds.  Besides, the Armour may be better since it contains T4, T3, and small amounts of T2 and T1 -- synthetics, like Synthroid, only have T4.

Hubby tried Rice milk but didn't like it.  He drinks 2%.  Someone suggested eating your cold cereal w/ a fork to cut down on the amount of milk consumed -- wouldn't work for me, that milk left in the bottom of the bowl would be way too tempting. :)

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Bear

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 03:06:04 PM »

There's a guy @ work, who eats a huge bowl of mixed cereal (muesli, nutragrain & god-know waht else)
He even brought in a new bigger bowl, as it kept overspilling his previous one!
I really miss a bowl of weetbix or porridge or something. I stopped because it seemed such a 'waste' of
daily fluid  :o              ....but I bought a small box of weetbix this week & have had one bowl so far.
But I was very 'stingey' with the milk, only using about 1/2 what I used to.  ;)

waves...Bear
susie q

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 03:19:52 PM »

No one told me to take them on an empty stomach... I take all my meds at once and some you are supposed to have food with them..
Also have to avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice because of my lipitor... also blood pressure meds react to it also but I don't take any now... :o :)
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 06:54:59 PM »

No one told me to take them on an empty stomach... I take all my meds at once and some you are supposed to have food with them.. ...

I'm not surprised you weren't told.  When my mom started thyroid med she wasn't told either and was taking it with her breakfast.

The following quote is from webmd.com:
"...HOW TO USE
Take this medication on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal. ...

It is usually taken as a single daily dose before breakfast. ..."

If you get a print out from your pharmacy when you pick up your prescriptions this should be included somewhere in the print out.

Seriously consider the sublingual Armour natural thyroid, so you don't have the hassle of some meds w/ food and some w/o -- it's probably better for you than the synthetic anyway (despite what the drug companies which manufacture the synthetic say >:( ) and it's cheaper!  Dialysis patients have enough to contend w/ -- make it easy on yourself. :)

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 08:12:04 PM »

No one told me to take them on an empty stomach... I take all my meds at once and some you are supposed to have food with them.. ...

I'm not surprised you weren't told.  When my mom started thyroid med she wasn't told either and was taking it with her breakfast.

The following quote is from webmd.com:
"...HOW TO USE
Take this medication on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal. ...

It is usually taken as a single daily dose before breakfast. ..."

If you get a print out from your pharmacy when you pick up your prescriptions this should be included somewhere in the print out.

Seriously consider the sublingual Armour natural thyroid, so you don't have the hassle of some meds w/ food and some w/o -- it's probably better for you than the synthetic anyway (despite what the drug companies which manufacture the synthetic say >:( ) and it's cheaper!  Dialysis patients have enough to contend w/ -- make it easy on yourself. :)

I just take my thyroid med at medtime along with my Blood Pressure meds. Problem solved  :)

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 08:18:48 PM »

There's a guy @ work, who eats a huge bowl of mixed cereal (muesli, nutragrain & god-know waht else)
He even brought in a new bigger bowl, as it kept overspilling his previous one!
I really miss a bowl of weetbix or porridge or something. I stopped because it seemed such a 'waste' of
daily fluid  :o              ....but I bought a small box of weetbix this week & have had one bowl so far.
But I was very 'stingey' with the milk, only using about 1/2 what I used to.  ;)

Good for you "Treat yourself" everyone cheats on there diet I know I do  >:D Now where is my big bowl of "Fruit Loops" with about 4 cups worth of Whole Milk.  :) I feel so sorry for people when I hear them say I haven't had a cup of milk in years or have a bannana or orange in years. It's sad really.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 08:26:06 PM »

Well, there goes the California Grapefruit Grower's annual dinner party!   ;D

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 10:25:30 PM »

There goes the Chiquite Banana Girlie Party I was invited to!  Shucks!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 08:04:04 PM »

I know this is a thread about milk, but I am really upset with the fact that grapefruit seems to be contraindicated with nearly every important medication.  And it particularly hurts if you read up on the origins of the fruit which once was called citrus barbadiensis.  This quote comes from a website  - The grapefruit was first described in 1750 by Griffith Hughes who called it the "forbidden fruit" of Barbados.
So here I am a barbadian who has not been allowed to eat this fruit.  Everytime I stop a medication that was restricting me, I get another which does the same.
I just love the Jamaican dring "Ting" which is made from grapefruit.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 06:00:54 AM by Rerun » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
susie q

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 04:29:50 PM »

I really miss grapefruit also...  Ting... hmmm   .. we have an orange drink called Tang.. lol..
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 06:18:24 PM »

And the Tang company wanted to stop the Jamaican company from using the name Ting since it seemed so close.  There was even a court case.  I guess the Jamaican company won, since they are still selling it.  We have Tang here as well, but Tang is a breakfast drink, while Ting is a soda.  Also 't'ing' is the way we Caribbean people say 'thing', e.g. 'Dat t'ing belongs to me.' and 'Dat is my t'ing'.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Naggy6

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 11:30:02 AM »

I didn't have milk for a long time because my phos. and cal. were alway too high. I had parathyroid surgery last August and my phos. and cal. have been way back down.

I loved it when I was in the hospital for the surgery and my cal. was low and they already gave me all the cal. they could give me in pills and IV so they just kept getting me a glass of milk. I loved having the drs. telling me drink more milk. Of course I had to be carefull of the fluid but I figured what the heck I'm in the hospital any way so I told the dr. he would have to schedule me for some extra dialysis time if he was going to keep giving me all that milk to drink.

;D ;D ;D I really enjoyed that milk like never before.

Another thing seems like we all just love milk  Could it be the whole forbidden fruit is the sweetest?

Isn't it nice to go where every body knows your name.
Panda_9

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 06:16:57 PM »

I used to have to restrict my milk too, mainly because of the potassium. Which I only found out ages after I started dialysis. I tried to just have 1 cup a day which seemed ok. And I tried to take a binder before anything went in my mouth. But sometimes you just dont feel like it.
Len

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 07:10:01 AM »

I guess I am lucky   as I put down  close to two litres of 2% milk a day   maybe its because I'm on home hemo and have to add   a bit of phosporus ? and can regulate it that way ?

Panda_9

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 04:33:59 AM »

Wow Len thats alot of milk!!! Are you on a restriction?? I find if I have too much milk I get bloated and thirsty. I am trying not to drink more than 1.5 litres a day (of any liquid).
Len

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 05:38:31 AM »

Hi Amber  yes I feel a bit bloated now and then  but even after  my day off I came in at a total of 2.7 for the two days this time  so not too shabby really .Also I have nothing left for output anymore , you figure?  I cant ? I just love my milk   lol
Panda_9

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 05:43:56 AM »

2.7 not bad!! I just weighed myself and im 4 over  :-\ Having BP trouble lately, so trying to catch up after a night of taking off no UF!
Len

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 05:48:57 AM »

I know  some can easily do a 5 takeoff  but when at the clinic  doing 4 hour runs  I was a mess if I had to take 3 off. I usually  stuck to taking 2.5 after a weekend  then  even it up the next run. but with this home  Hemo and the low pump speed  I feel fine  even after  a 3.5 takoff  Hey ? you signed up for the chat yet ?
Len

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2006, 05:59:45 AM »

2% low fat comes in at 232 for Phos  as for goats milk  its 270 as I read in the nutritional book ...
Panda_9

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 07:11:15 PM »

Does anyone know the potassium content of rice milk? I drink it every now and then, would be interested to know how much is in it.
Len, do you have trouble with potassium if you are drinking that much milk? 2 litres of milk is/was almost half of my K+ allowance for the day.
I dont know how one could take off 5 litres in 4 hours  :o When I was on 5hr treatments I wouldnt take off more than 3.5, and even that left me feeling like crap. On nocturnal we arent aloud to UF more than 400/hr, so generally you dont get that washed out feeling or its not as bad. I have once run at I think it was 1000ml/hr, but I was in high dependancy dialysis and they had me laying almost upside down  :-\
Len

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 05:42:01 AM »

1 Cup of whole milk =370mg
1 cup of 2% milk =    232
1 cup of rice dream= 57
1 cup of soydream = 100
   My phos  does run a bit high  but not over the  limits . my takeoff is usually under  2.5    last night  it was 1.8
no idea how I get away with it as I have  no output anymore ?
Panda_9

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 06:01:36 AM »

I was asking about your potassium Len, not phosphate  :) Are those milk values for potassium or phosphate?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »