I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:08:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  12 People Hospitalized With Infections From Stem Cell Shots
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 12 People Hospitalized With Infections From Stem Cell Shots  (Read 2435 times)
iolaire
Elite Member

« on: December 24, 2018, 07:53:20 AM »

Every so often questions about Stem Cell treatment and kidney failure pop up on this forum, so I think this article on US based stem cell treatments leading to infections is relevant. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/health/stem-cell-shots-bacteria-fda.html

Twelve patients became seriously ill after receiving injections that supposedly contained stem cells from umbilical cord blood, according to the Food and Drug Administration, which issued a warning to the California company, Genetech, that made the blood product they were given.
(The company has no connection with Genentech, the biotechnology corporation.)
Hundreds of clinics have sprung up around the country, offering treatments supposedly containing stem cells, to treat a wide variety of ailments, including arthritis, eye disorders, Parkinson’s disease and lung problems. The treatments are marketed as having curative or healing properties, but there is no proof that they work or are safe.
Tests of unopened vials of the cord-blood products taken from clinics giving the shots found the same types of microbes that had infected the patients, which included E. coli and other fecal bacteria.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Mr Ken

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 09:08:46 AM »

Wow, hope everything works out

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 10:29:39 AM »

During my pre-dialysis-days my husband and I researched seriously about stem-cell treatment and we found, that it really takes many more years until the stem-cell-research has become safe enough for desperate patients to trust it. 
Unfortunately these days it is mainly pre-dialysis kidney-failure desperadoes who try their luck in obscure clinics in obscure countries and unfortunately many take their gamble and die because all sorts of side-effects, mainly deadly infections etc.
Please don't touch it yet ! As soon as stem-cell-treatment will be safe enough, it will be known instantly in every country in the world... you won't miss hearing about it, as soon as it will be safe ...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »