I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:45:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Home inspection
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Home inspection  (Read 3818 times)
FullBoat

« on: October 28, 2018, 02:46:59 AM »

I might have to start the big D here shortly. Should find out in a couple of weeks. I'm  planning on doing PD with the machine. I work 4 11 hour days, so sitting at a clinic for 4+ hours for HD just doesn't sound like fun after working for 11 hours.
So, my question is, how strict are they with the home inspection? I don't live with a bunch of trash all over, but, me being a geek, I have a stack of old computer parts/box's. I have started clearing some of it out, and making room for supplies if it comes to that.
About the worst I can think of on the "dirty" side is I have a few dish's in the sink every once and a while. Does everything have to be spotless? I'm going to get a cart for the machine, and to keep all my supplies(wipes/cartridges/caps) on. With my bedroom being kinda small, I'll have to keep the bags in another room, that wouldn't be an issue would it? Does make it easier for the drain tube to go into either the toilet or shower.

I just am afraid they'll come into my apartment, and see a box or a dish, and go.. "Nope, have to do HD".

I am planning on getting a house service once I get everything cleared out a bit more. But, between work, and me getting a cold, I haven't done much the past few weeks.

Thanks for the feedback y'all.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 06:29:25 AM »

I do PD and I'm a terrible housekeeper.  But I manage to reserve a couple of spots where PD is all I do, and I keep them clean and free of other clutter.  Not sure what you're asking about bags in another room.  I have extra cartons of bags spread out for storage in many places.  But I have the bags that I'm using that night right on or next to the cycler with extension tubing from the drain line and the patient line so my drain line reaches the toilet and I can walk around my house (to a degree).

What I do do is maintain a laser focus on the job at hand and do my darndest not to slip up.  So far, so good.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 08:23:25 AM »

The major concern is reducing the risk of infection.

Keeping the treatment room as clean as possible.  That your are able to shut off any air flow during your set up and connection by turning off any fans such as heat and A/C while making all connection, bags to the machine and connecting yourself to the machine.  Once connected turn whatever back on.  Reducing air movement reduces the possibility of airborne bacteria contamination.

No pets in the room also during connections.

Most everyone has dirty dishes in the sink, and a pile of dirty laundry.  You are not making connections in the kitchen or bathroom.  So don't worry so much about those areas.

Storage takes up some space.  My monthly delivery pretty much filled up one side of my hallway with boxes stacked 6 high. A lot of boxes. I would flatten them as I used them and always had a stack out in the garage. Every other month I would give them to the food bank at the Church.

There is a patient extension hose and a drain extension hose if you need them to make it easier to roam farther while connected .  However you drain, toilet or shower, or bucket ALWAYS double or triple tape the hose very securely.  I can attest to the size of the spill when it comes loose, and it WILL fail sometime during the night while you are sleeping.  You won't know it until you get up and step on a very wet floor.
Mr Ken

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 07:10:06 PM »

Sorry for the delay in response... I lost your message and I wanted to throw in some cents too. I found it again.. Don't let it scare you... Here I go:

Clean room area is important as to minimize the risk of getting an infection. Keep your hands clean and sanitized when touching the tubing and transfer set. Wear the mask. Minimize air flow and you might even want to get a HEPA air cleaner. Though that might be going extreme that is being safe than sorry.

If you work 11 hours 4 days a week you are going to be very busy.. Also you need to consider supply delivery time. Clinic visit time. Blood draw time… This might be very challenging for you.

Either method you choose it is a pain in the you know what. Don't let the dialysis center give you a false sense of this is easy, you will have much more free time, you could eat more foods you would otherwise have to be careful when doing Hemo..... All is grand in candy land with sugar plums and ginger bread people.  Now back to reality…….

Reality is you will be spending more time dealing with PD then you would at Hemo. PD is a 7 day regimen.  Difference is you will be doing it mostly at night when sleeping but it probably will cut into your evening hours... If you need 4 or 5 exchanges and over an hour and a half dwell time that is over 9 hours therapy time ..... Wait to you get the news the numbers are not what we have as goals. You need more solution or dwell time….. Don’t rule out mid-day exchanges…

You have chosen to do PD but it may not work for you. Depends on the numbers and how well your peritoneal cavity is for transferring out the waste / fluid. This all has to do with more exchanges, solution percentage, dwell time and is not known until you start doing the treatments.

Dealing with the solution bags and drain bags is not fun.  The amount of supplies is nothing. The mess is something. If you are lucky enough able to connect a couple of drain line extension together and have it dump into a nearby toilet that is good. As mentioned above tape the line to the toilet rim, duct tape, so the thing does not take a big leak on the floor. You will have a small flood… If going the drain bag route man I do not care how careful you think you are…. It is going to happen… Yep all over the rug…. The issue with the drain bag I use is with the line clamp… poor design… If it is not clamped the rubber end cap will not hold back the liquid……… Get a plastic tote and put those things in the tote so when it does spill out the tote will catch the liquid and not the rug. I learned the hard way to put those bags in a tote. Also extra solution that is left and not used for treatment put those in the tote as well after disconnecting the line. Ruined a not so old rug………  You cannot carpet clean it because it leaked all the way to the pad. You are talking 11000 to 12000 ML plus your waste fluid just under 15000 ML of liquid…………….. Yea.. Not a happy place… and certainly not in candy land.

If Hemo did not have some bad side effects I would go back to Hemo and toss this PD stuff out the window.  ….. Both methods have down sides…… Did Hemo first then got into PD…. Done them both… Catheter was in in over a year…. I told them no fistula and held out on the NO!!!.

https://www.azuravascularcare.com/infodialysisaccess/faqs-dialysis-access/

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Ken
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 11:09:49 PM »

I think dialysis in all its forms is a crap shoot.  :rofl;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 01:51:21 AM »

... But dialysis keeps us alive and hopefully there are better and kinder dialysis-ways available in the future... But with the latest dialysis-machines it already goes pretty well right now ...
Good luck wishes from Kristina.  :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 09:07:29 PM »

I think dialysis in all its forms is a crap shoot.  :rofl;
True, but with the added catch that you lose if you don't roll the dice.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »