I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:25:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes
| | |-+  Surgery to correct Hammer Toes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surgery to correct Hammer Toes  (Read 2769 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: September 26, 2018, 11:08:25 PM »

Hubby's Podiatrist suggests surgery to fix 3 hammer toes on each foot. Each foot could take up to 6 weeks to heal. Being a Diabetic, hubby is afraid of recovery time and infection. Right now his toes are not bothering him. Anyone else have this surgery and get good results or end up with an infection and amputation?? Seems so scary when dealing with the feet and toes. Diabetics don't always heal as nice and can take longer. Sometimes things can go south real fast. I am terrified of what could go wrong. Wondered if the benefits outweigh the risks. I want hubby to have straight (painless) toes but not become a bloody infected mess that will end in amputation.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 06:03:56 AM »

I wouldn't trust a Podiatrist if my life depended on it.  I have seen 3 in my life and they have all been singularly unimpressive.  Seem sleazy to me.  Foot surgery is a real crapshoot.  If if ain't broke, don't fix it.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 09:53:08 AM »

I whole heartedly agree with KaS.

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 10:02:25 AM »

At the least get a second opinions from another podiatrist and a vascular surgeon.  The vascular surgeon would probably give a better risk assessment.  A vist to hubbys diabetic doctor would also be benifical since he/she may have had other patients who have had foot surgery and may have some ideas of the risks.  Good luck.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 09:29:04 PM »

Hubby has decided against surgery. At least for now. His toes are crooked but they don't hurt and it hasn't affected his gait. I still wish I knew of other's outcome with this type of surgery. Diabetes sure does complicates things.

BTW, this is the same podiatrist that saved his toe and basically his life several years ago. The endocrinologist had referred him because of a small sore on the bottom of one toe that didn't seem to be healing. It was very hard to see but after a second look, the podiatrist found a small spot of bone infection on an MRI. He pointed it out to us and it was a very, very small spot that easily could have been missed. The tip of the toe had to be amputated but we were thankful that the podiatrist spent the time looking over that MRI because things could've gotten much, much worse. But now hubby's hammer toes concern him and he suggested surgery. It's the diabetes that scares us. Damned disease.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 11:12:45 PM »

About 20 years ago during a echocardiogram it was discovered that my gall bladder was full of gallstones. My then go insisted I go to a surgeon I went.  After he looked at the test results he asked one guestion.  Does it cause you any pain or problems?  I said no. He said come back if ever does.i haven’t been back in 20 years.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »