I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:38:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Pneumonia Vaccination
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pneumonia Vaccination  (Read 3852 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: September 20, 2018, 08:49:25 PM »

Fresenius requires my husband to have an annual flu shot. They give it to him at the dialysis clinic. But what about a Pneumonia Vaccination? I happened to get a pneumonia vaccination at my primary doc today. He strongly suggested it because I am over 50 and have severe asthma. This got me thinking about my husband and if he should get one too. Do dialysis clinics do this or just the flu shot?

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 08:59:31 PM »

I don't know; that's a really GOOD question! 

How are the two of you doing these days? :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 09:04:33 PM »

I don't know; that's a really GOOD question! 

How are the two of you doing these days? :cuddle;

We are doing good. Thanks for asking MM! Hope your trip will be for pleasure and that you enjoy it. Try not to worry too much about losing your meds. Make a list before you go and check it before leaving and again at every stop.

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 09:38:36 PM »

Oh, I'm not worried about losing my meds.  I've been doing this for six years, so I know the drill.  I was just asking as a hypothetical question because when I was buying my travel insurance, I ran across an article written by an insurance broker who specializes in finding the right travel insurance for people, and he mentioned this issue.  And it got me to wonderin'...  Interestingly, despite acknowledging this could be a knotty problem, he didn't really offer much sound advice.

I'll just be going to London; I'm not going to Bhutan or anywhere like that (although I'd like to!).

I'm glad y'all are holding up OK! 

PS:  I've just went back and read your introduction from all those years ago.  Wow!  Y'all have come a long way!  I'm so glad you are still a member here.  Your caregiver's experience has been invaluable.  I've learned a LOT from your posts.

Let us know what you find out about the pneumonia vax.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 09:42:36 PM by MooseMom » Logged

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
GA_DAWG

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 09:47:49 PM »

They gave us both pnuemonia shots at the clinic. I figured all clinics, at least all Fresenius, would do the same.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 09:49:10 PM »

Thanks for that, GA-DAWG!  Now that I think of it, I think my mom was given hers by her clinic.  Don't rightly remember, though.

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 04:46:39 PM »

They gave us both pnuemonia shots at the clinic. I figured all clinics, at least all Fresenius, would do the same.

Thanks, GA_DAWG. Maybe my husband's Fresenius did the same and he just doesn't know it. He's going to ask. I'm not sure but think there are different types of pneumonia a person can catch. He had a bout with it last year and does not want a repeat. The shot my doctor gave me is good for 5-6 years but don't know which one it was. Wished I had asked.

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 07:37:31 PM »

I don't believe clinics 'require' either vaccination, they do however highly recommend them.

I get both when due.  The VA Dr stays on top of when my pneumonia is due but Fresenius gets the flu vaccine much much earlier so I usually get that one there.

There has been some discussion with my VA Dr about when best to get the flu shot.  Dr is of the opinion that I should wait until December, claiming peak effectiveness of the shot is 990 days and near worn off before the 'peak' flu season which she claims to be Dec through March.  I have to admit she may have a valid argument..
GA_DAWG

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 07:51:28 PM »

I have wondered about that myself Charlie, as well as whether we get the shot that is supposed to be for those more at risk.
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 11:44:15 PM »

There has been some discussion with my VA Dr about when best to get the flu shot......peak effectiveness of the shot is 990 days and near worn off before the 'peak' flu season which she claims to be Dec through March.  I have to admit she may have a valid argument..

Is that a typo? 990 days is nearly 3 years. So that seems pointless if you have it annually.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 01:55:12 PM »

TYPO!     LOL

90 days.

Sometimes my fat fingers are heavy.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 05:38:06 PM »

The cdc recommends late October.  Plus the vaccine comes in 2 strengths a weaker version for people in good health and a stronger one for at risk and those over 65.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 04:05:45 AM »

I didn't know this.

Makes me wonder what I have been getting.

So far, so good. Whichever it has been.
GA_DAWG

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 09:44:44 AM »

I asked at yesterday's session, and they said the Fresenius rule is those under 65 get the regular flu shot and those above 65 get the extra strength one.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »