I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:45:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  food
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: food  (Read 11717 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 02:22:15 AM »

No Kristina, Paul is just trying to convey to you that is of supreme intelligence, otherwise known as claptrap. He is just teaching you how rude one person can be to another. He is doing very well, dont you think??

Hello Jean and many thanks for your wonderful comment, it is very much appreciated! I agree with all you have said and I thank you very much for pointing it out ...
... Some people just seem to forget that being on dialysis is all about living on borrowed time and the fact that life has become much too short to waste precious time ...
... many thanks again and I send you all my best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;
... and many thanks to everyone who has mentioned their experiences with garlic and/or their experiences with people near them who have eaten garlic.
... Many times I was forced to urgently get out off the tube, train and/or bus because I was unlucky enough to be sitting or standing near people who had eaten garlic with no consideration to people like myself who are allergic to garlic and can't help it but become terribly sick because of the smell of it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:35:49 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
GA_DAWG

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 06:07:09 PM »

Just something I have noticed is that better restaurants, not pricey or whatever just those with better food, tend to be able to balance spices, be it garlic or others. The ones that are not so good tend to be the ones who have a problem with too much of one thing or another. I know some people enjoy it, but while I like spicy, I do not like volcanic hot. You see lots of the wing joints that mistake hot for flavor.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 10:03:34 PM »

Absolutely. I agree with you. GA

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2018, 03:18:30 PM »

No Kristina, Paul is just trying to convey to you that is of supreme intelligence, otherwise known as claptrap.

I take it from this comment that you agree with Kristina and believe that all the doctors and medical journals are lying to you about garlic? Yes, it is unpleasant when someone smells of garlic, even more so if, like Kristina, you are allergic to the stuff. However that smelly person, all other things being equal, will live longer than you. Pretending the doctors and medical experts are liars will not save you, and nor will calling anyone who disagrees with your fantasy world, "rude".

It matters not one bit to me that you consider me rude, and that you and Kristina believe that the medical profession is lying to you, it is your life to do with what you like. However I object to you posting medical inaccuracies where others may read them, and damage their own health by following your misinformation. Kristina has a slight excuse in that she was probably told this by someone trying to console her over allergy (as I mentioned in a previous post), plus, as we have seen in other posts, Kristina does tend to believe fake news when told to her by a friend. But what excuse do you have? You are not allergic, you just don't like the smell. And to save yourself from the smell you are happy to post that all the details on the subject in medical journals and what doctors and dieticians tell you, is "claptrap". Please stop posting deliberate inaccuracies for your own benefit, it is not fair on those people who may believe you and suffer as a result.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:16:44 PM by Paul » Logged

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 07:21:35 PM »

Paul have you been drinking?? I posted no deliberate inaccuracies any where.No, the claptrap is YOU!!!! I love garlic but because of my husbands sensitivities, I only use it when I am making Italian food. You twist any words any one says and then try to bring them to your snotty level. No one on this post or any other is as rude as you are. You need to go back and read posts again, you are hallucinating. Now THAT is rude!!!

Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2018, 02:31:05 AM »

Paul have you been drinking?? I posted no deliberate inaccuracies any where.No, the claptrap is YOU!!!! I love garlic but because of my husbands sensitivities, I only use it when I am making Italian food. You twist any words any one says and then try to bring them to your snotty level. No one on this post or any other is as rude as you are. You need to go back and read posts again, you are hallucinating. Now THAT is rude!!!

I posted about the benefits of garlic, and stated that Kristina was wrong to post inaccurately that all the medical facts about garlic are probably incorrect. Your response to my post was to say that my post was "otherwise known as claptrap". How you can claim that saying a post that states "what the doctors, dieticians, and medical researchers say is true" is "claptrap" is not posting deliberate inaccuracies is beyond me.

If you cannot remember posting that, it is reply number twenty on the first page of this thread.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2018, 09:24:51 AM »

No Kristina, Paul is just trying to convey to you that is of supreme intelligence, otherwise known as claptrap.

I take it from this comment that you agree with Kristina and believe that all the doctors and medical journals are lying to you about garlic? Yes, it is unpleasant when someone smells of garlic, even more so if, like Kristina, you are allergic to the stuff. However that smelly person, all other things being equal, will live longer than you. Pretending the doctors and medical experts are liars will not save you, and nor will calling anyone who disagrees with your fantasy world, "rude".

It matters not one bit to me that you consider me rude, and that you and Kristina believe that the medical profession is lying to you, it is your life to do with what you like. However I object to you posting medical inaccuracies where others may read them, and damage their own health by following your misinformation. Kristina has a slight excuse in that she was probably told this by someone trying to console her over allergy (as I mentioned in a previous post), plus, as we have seen in other posts, Kristina does tend to believe fake news when told to her by a friend. But what excuse do you have? You are not allergic, you just don't like the smell. And to save yourself from the smell you are happy to post that all the details on the subject in medical journals and what doctors and dieticians tell you, is "claptrap". Please stop posting deliberate inaccuracies for your own benefit, it is not fair on those people who may believe you and suffer as a result.

Hello Paul,
Just to remind you that Jean does not state anything inaccurate ... and it would not go a miss, if you please could use a better language, because, as it is right now, it comes over as being a bit offensive and you also seem to misconstrue what people say ...
We are all permitted to our individual opinion about everything and we must also not forget that on dialysis we are, medically speaking - whether we admit it to ourselves or not, we are on life-support and it is not very polite to be attacked on this site, which for many people in ESRF has become like a second home and I am sure that everything can be conveyed in a civilized manner. And by the way :  I am the one who is wondering why garlic is - all of a sudden - very much promoted, not only by medics, but also very loudly by the food industry and that just makes me wonder a bit ...
I give you an example, why I am wondering: Because of my allergy to garlic, I always have to make sure that whenever I am in a restaurant, there is no garlic whatsoever in my food.
Last time when we were in Oxford, we went to a restaurant of a famous chef, who even instructs the government etc. on healthy food for the nation etc. and my husband and I were very surprised, that every food offered by this chef in his restaurant was cooked with garlic and when we asked about this and asked whether we could have some food cooked without any garlic, we were told that their food is always cooked elsewhere in the beginning of each week with lots of garlic and only reheated on the premises during the week for customers and  - as they informed us - garlic "works" as a preservative for the offered food which is only reheated on the premises till the end of the week and in the beginning of the following week the food is cooked again in one huge kitchen elsewhere with lots of garlic, offered to customers during the oncoming week... and the cooked food with garlic as a preservative is being delivered to all of his restaurants ... They informed us that they never cook on the premises fresh food and therefore they can't offer us any food without garlic. Talk about fresh and healthy food being offered on the premises !!! And this chef teaches the nation in television shows etc. how to eat healthy !!! Not surprisingly, he had to close down six of his restaurants already... and we, for example could never ever eat in any of his restaurants because of the garlic and furthermore, it appears that the food he offers in his restaurants is not necessarily fresh either ...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
GA_DAWG

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2018, 09:49:03 AM »

Never mind the garlic, any restaurant that willingly tells you they only reheat the food which is cooked elsewhere and then delivered should be avoided.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2018, 02:44:11 PM »

I always knew that restaurants did things differently than they admit to, but this one is more than a little bit out of line. Wow, my husband is so allergic to raw onions that I am glad they have a strong smell to them. One bite and he is a goner, his throat closes up and he cant breathe. All of this is enough to keep us out of restaurants isn't it. I understand you not wanting to reveal the name of the restaurant, so I hope there are none too close to my house. Thanks Kristina.

Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2018, 11:37:48 PM »

Last time when we were in Oxford, we went to a restaurant of a famous chef........we were told that their food is always cooked elsewhere in the beginning of each week

There are some truly bad restaurants out there, and having a famous chef fronting the establishment is no guarantee. Gordon Ramsey, for example, uses prepared food from a wholesaler (Brakes).

The thing you say about the garlic is worse than you think, because although garlic has some antiseptic qualities, it will NOT preserve it for a whole week. By the end of that time I doubt the food will be very healthy!

Just to remind you that Jean does not state anything inaccurate

No, she states that the facts are"claptrap", which is the same as stating inaccuracies.

if you please could use a better language, because, as it is right now, it comes over as being a bit offensive

Jean (and to be honest you too) are spreading fake news. If that were something harmless like, for example "President Trump is really a robot controlled by aliens" it would not matter. However, what you are both spreading is bad medical advice. Worse, you are spreading it on a trusted board. If unchallenged, people will believe you, which may screw up their health. There is no level of language that is too offensive in that situation. Other people's health are at stake.

And if you want to be fair about it, re-read Jean's posts. She jumped on this thread simply to be rude to me. You will notice her first post was "Paul is just trying to convey to you that is of supreme intelligence, otherwise known as claptrap." Not a reply to anything I said to her, she just saw an opportunity to insult me, and took it.

You are probably not aware of this, but Jean and I seriously disagreed about American politics in the political thread. Unfortunately Jean could not leave it in the politics section and trolls the board looking for posts of mine she can use to "get revenge" with unsolicited replies like this one. Normally I would accept it, there are some really childish people on the Internet, but when her trolling involves posting lies about medical matters innocent people may suffer. It would not be right for me to just leave it be.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2018, 03:11:31 AM »

Hello Paul,
Jean and I are not spreading any – as you state - “fake news” (whatever that may mean), but whatever we mention or have said over the years here on IHD, has always been to the best of our knowledge plus our experiences and it surely is very obvious to everyone here on IHD that Jean and I are not medical. I am not aware that Jean or I have ever said anything that could influence anyone to avoid visiting their doctor/nephrologist and ask their questions there to make absolutely sure ... and ... furthermore, people here on IHD are much more clever than you give them credit for ...
If you are stating that Jean and I are spreading “fake news”, you are definitely lying and that is very shocking and most certainly not how a gentleman would behave.
... Furthermore, I am not aware about your “serious disagreement” with Jean about American politics and I don't read about it anyway. As a European I don’t feel like knowing enough about American politics, because first of all, I am not American and secondly I am not living in America and therefore I don’t know the intricacies about American politics and as a result of that I don't think I could really contribute to a discussion about American politics and ... furthermore ... I have never studied politics ...
Best wishes from Kristina.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:14:28 AM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2018, 02:01:11 PM »

Okay all, back to food. I belief having an 'incomplete' digestive system (i.e. No or less functioning organs (be it kidneys, or the liver or something)) is very likely to effect taste or sensitivities of the whole body.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 02:29:48 AM »

Jean and I are not spreading any – as you state - “fake news”

Posting that garlic is probably not a health benefit.

it surely is very obvious to everyone here on IHD that Jean and I are not medical.

There are plenty of people who automatically assume that if it is posted on a respectable site like this one, it must be true. You may argue that such people are idiots, but idiots deserve to live too.

When you post here you have a serious responsibility to remember that other people will read what you post, and whatever you say, some will believe you. If you post anything even remotely medical (such as the benefits of garlic, or lack thereof) you must be sure of your facts. Similarly, if you either support or refute someone else's claims you must be equally sure of their facts. To do otherwise is unbelievably irresponsible.

Furthermore, I am not aware about your “serious disagreement” with Jean about American politics...

Didn't think you were, that is why I pointed it out (if I thought you knew, there would have been no point in mentioning it).

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2018, 03:36:49 AM »

Okay all, back to food. I belief having an 'incomplete' digestive system (i.e. No or less functioning organs (be it kidneys, or the liver or something)) is very likely to effect taste or sensitivities of the whole body.
Many thanks Cassandra for your kind suggestion to go back to food, it is very much appreciated.
My patience has been challenged a bit by Paul's misconstruction of what either Jean of I have been mentioning in a clear way that cannot be misconstrued, except by Paul, who seems to be determined to misconstrue ad infinitum everything we are saying and I am so grateful for your kind suggestion to go back to the original food discussion. It is very much appreciated and I thank you very much for it.
Best wishes and many thanks again from Kristina. :grouphug;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
GA_DAWG

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 08:43:59 AM »

It IS possible everyone could be right about Italian Food. Italian food actually is divided into Northern Italian and Southern Italain. The northern variety is more akin to French cooking, using a lot of butter and cream sauces that often contain more garlic than the southern Italain variety that is what many people think of when they consider Italian cuisine. The southern cooking is more the red sauce and contains less garlic than the northern cuisine.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 01:12:33 PM »

Has anyone found that they just "taste" food differently because of dialysis/meds?  Are there specific foods that now you avoid because they don't taste as good anymore?

In a slightly different vein, I used to drink diet Dr. Pepper years ago, but when I was told I couldn't drink that any more because of phosphorus concerns, I tried other kinds of non-cola soft drinks and didn't like them.  I also liked orange juice but had to give that up, too.  I drank instead the occasional glass of pineapple juice.

The result of all this is that I can no longer bear ANY carbonated drinks or ANY cold drink that has even the merest hint of sugar.  I haven't had a soft drink in over a decade.  I drink either water or iced tea that I brew myself.  I do have a teaspoon of sugar in coffee or in certain kinds of black tea, but that's it.  I don't like pineapple juice anymore, either.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
GA_DAWG

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2018, 01:33:21 PM »

I'm just the opposite MooseMom. I can't swallow any soda with no sugar, but I'm not diabetic thank goodness. I missed one ailment. As I said earlier, I used to love Mexican and Tex-Mex food, but since being on dialysis, not so much. One thing I have found that I drink as much as I am allowed is the one called Simply Fruit Punch. It is made with cherry and pineapple juices, no orange juice, which is hard to find something without orange juice or grapefruit juice, and it tastes wonderful, to me at least.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2018, 01:45:52 PM »

I'm just the opposite MooseMom. I can't swallow any soda with no sugar, but I'm not diabetic thank goodness. I missed one ailment. As I said earlier, I used to love Mexican and Tex-Mex food, but since being on dialysis, not so much. One thing I have found that I drink as much as I am allowed is the one called Simply Fruit Punch. It is made with cherry and pineapple juices, no orange juice, which is hard to find something without orange juice or grapefruit juice, and it tastes wonderful, to me at least.

Oooh, that's really interesting!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2018, 02:03:15 PM »

Simply Fruit Punch, huh? I will try that. Since becoming a 4th stage kidney disease person, many of my tastes have changed. I used to love Pepsi and Coke. Now, no matter how hard I try, I can not abide carbonated drinks. It'a iced tea or nothing ( well, water of course) However that Simply Fruit  sounds worth a try. Thanks GA.

uttanutta

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 02:34:32 AM »

funny you guys mentioned carbonated drinks i can not stand those any more so i do think your taste changes sometimes.Back to my first question about food i have since been to docs who informed me my potassium was to high hence feeling very sick.I was supporting hubby to well in his healthy eating quest to lose weight i was eating to much good food.not white crap  :oops;Hard lesson learned i will stay away from nuts and seeds apart from nuts on this message board :rofl;
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2018, 11:17:07 AM »

:rofl;

GA_DAWG

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2018, 09:43:29 AM »

Well, see, uttanutta, I consider it one of the blessings that I now have an excuse not to eat all that whole grain bread. Barbecue is meant to be eaten on white bread... its in the Bible somewhere I think.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2018, 09:47:30 AM »

Barbecue is meant to be eaten on white bread... its in the Bible somewhere I think.

The BBQ Bible, most certainly!   :2thumbsup;

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2018, 10:54:45 AM »

Well, see, uttanutta, I consider it one of the blessings that I now have an excuse not to eat all that whole grain bread. Barbecue is meant to be eaten on white bread... its in the Bible somewhere I think.

:)

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »