I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:21:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Constipation and Dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Constipation and Dialysis  (Read 3409 times)
coldhoist

« on: August 01, 2018, 07:45:08 AM »

Has anyone else been troubled by constipation since you started dialysis? I never had much of a problem with constipation until I started dialysis. With having to restrict fluid intake, it seems I just do not have enough liquid in my system to keep things running smoothly. Now that I am taking Velphoro it seems to have gotten worse. I am blocked all the time. I started eating more high fiber cereal before I started taking Velphoro and that helped a lot. but, now the Velphoro has me constipated more than ever. Laxatives do not seem to work as well as they used to. It is a very bad feeling when you feel bloated and stuffed and you cannot do anything. I think it is even affecting my weight. Since I cannot get rid of the excess in my gut, it seems like my weight checks are higher by a few pounds, if that is possible. That means they end up taking off more fluids.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this? Thanks.

Sp mod Cas
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:55:24 AM by cassandra » Logged
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »

Have you tried stool softeners?  And BTW, I also experience constipation on Velphoro, but when I mentioned that to my nephro, she acted surprised and said that most people have the opposite issue with Velphoro. So who knows?

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
coldhoist

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 01:46:48 PM »

Have you tried stool softeners?  And BTW, I also experience constipation on Velphoro, but when I mentioned that to my nephro, she acted surprised and said that most people have the opposite issue with Velphoro. So who knows?
Stool softeners do nothing for me. I can take five or six at a time and nothing happens. My dietician told me that Velphpro might cause constipation and she was right. I need some kind of relief. Being bloated is not a good feeling.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 07:51:54 PM »

My Diabetic Wife dehydrates very easily, when that happens she easily becomes constipated.  I add Millalax to all her fluids to help add water soluble bulk and it seems to straighten her out.

I take loads of binder but fortunately no side effects for me.  Perhaps I am fortunate.

Any weight on the scale the clinic will assume it is fluid and try to take it off.  This is very important that you add plenty of bulk fiber to your diet, to prevent any constipation which can easily add a few pounds.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 06:15:31 AM »

Miralax ---- is the bomb.  Ask your Nephrologist first, but I have it in my coffee every morning.  I call it "My Creamer".  It just pulls fluid into your intestine.   :bandance; 

GA_DAWG

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 10:04:46 AM »

Sometimes a different binder will help.
coldhoist

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 02:08:30 PM »

I think this constipation may be why I keeping show a weight gain. I eat but I cannot get rid of anything and it just builds up, making it look like I am overeating, but I know I am not.
Cupcake

a good year for Chevys

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 09:20:50 PM »

A big old spoonful of Benefiber in my coffee in the morning and a generous capful of miralax in a cup of herbal tea before bed keeps things moving along for me- I'm on PD and don't drain if constipated.

PD for 2 years then living donor transplant October 2018.
SweetyPie

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 09:45:06 PM »

I stay constipated because i literally donr drink at all. I understand we shouldnt drink much between treatments but honestly this isnt good for the body. I noticed when I dont drink Im an extremely irritable and I cant think straight it sucks. I dont take anyhting and just deal whenever I need to go
uttanutta

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 12:26:17 AM »

I used to have this problem when i first started on PD,but a friend gave me hemp seed oil works wonders! I take 1 capsule per day or if i have a bottle of the oil i put a tablespoon on my salad havnt had any more problems in last few years :2thumbsup;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »