I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:07:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  My chair :(
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My chair :(  (Read 8191 times)
SweetyPie

« on: July 17, 2018, 03:57:37 PM »

So I've been having a slight problem at dialysis which I feel isnt fair for me. So one day I come to dialysis and my seat is moved all the way near the door. The door isnt the door that leads to outside it's the door which leads to the lobby just clarifying. I wasnt to happy about this. Maybe it's me but I feel they should ask first because what if we dont like that spot. So the further down you go the cooler it gets. I told the tech I didnt like my spot nothing was done. Recently like one week ago after the inspectors left they made it a rule that whatever side your catheter or fistula is on that's the side where your machine will be. So the next treatment I was the at the first machine right by the door that opens and closes 24/7 and is pretty loud. It's weird also, I dont see a vent but it feel I'm in the artic!! Where is the cold air coming from blowing straight down on me??!! That same day after treatment I asked does this have to be my permanent seat and explained I dont enjoy it here the tech said I'll ask and see where you can be moved. Okay so Thursday came no seat change then Saturday came.

I talk to my tech whom I feel is someone I can talk to shes nice. I told her I wanted to move and she kinda made me feel as if it's a huge problem I want to change my seat. I'm not bragging but I really sont ask for much and really keep to myself most of the time and I'm very polite. She says when you were a seat down you didnt complain what happened now it's the same thing. Also, she says you could switch to Monday wednesdays friday schedule since you dint have school. Intold her I i already picked my classes I csnt. She also says the people in the back have low immune systems and cant be near the person with HIV who's in the glass room. What also weird she hasnt come ever since I got moved.. and shes known for keeping her iPad at full volume. Also when someone walks in there these bright lights turn on omg not pleasant my eyes and head start to hurt. So I explained everything to the tech and she tells me go talk to Miguel the other tech hes in charge of seating. I didnt get a chance to speak to him he was working on the other side so I told the nurse she was assuring and said yeah no problem. I told her I dont mean to be a bother but I have to spend the time here and it's better if it isnt too bad. She was extremely nice about it and immediately told the girl tech I told you about earlier.

Weekend passes, I went to dialysis today. Same chair. Out of frustration I feel like crying. I forgot to mention theres a WHOLE row of machines not being used I dont understand did I piss someone off? I told one of the techs she comes like sometimes she originally works at another facility. We've grown close so I told her you know I told about 3 people I wanted to change my seat I guess they forgot. She told me yeah I heard they are working on it. I said okay. I also said again sont want to be annoying and keep asking all the time and I dont want to take my seat I originally had for a good year and 3 months if it will bother that person because she asked if I wanted that seat.  Like I feel guilty in this whole stupid chair problem.
She said we asked Dave who's in charge of the seating arrangements and he will get back to us. I thought miguel was in xharge..the thing is miguel is intimidating so I guess that's why I guess they used his name. So we will wait and see.
If I'm wrong in this case someone please tell me. Also ice already have a blanket too many blankets will make me uncomfortable. You know dialysis already sucks as is.
SweetyPie

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 04:04:47 PM »

Another thing, within one treatment day why was it so easy to move my seat like that but now it's a problem?
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 05:02:53 PM »

Two things to bring with you a accurate thermometer, there is a minimum temperature that CMS dictates if the temperature is too low CMS will handle it.  In fact I would tell the manager that if nothing is done about the temperature I am going to CMS.  Finally bring a good head set and play music loudly to cover the noise.  Or you can look for a new clinic.
SweetyPie

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 07:07:54 PM »

I would hate to leave on a bad note. And some techs from other clinics complain about how they work at other places. Saying the staff doesnt seem to care about patients. But you're right if I'm not happy I should complain to cms. The techs always tell me their sweating. When I look at the techs adjusting the temperature on the ac I'm like ughhh
GA_DAWG

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 08:59:23 PM »

If your facility is anything like the one I go to, it seems EVERY chair has a vent right over it.
lulu836

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 09:26:27 PM »

**sigh**

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my kidneys the most.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 01:59:51 AM »

Hello Aaisha.Dar, I am very sorry about your experiences. It is so important to feel as comfortable as is possible in a dialysis center and it can be very annoying if some problem you have cannot be sorted out as soon as possible, because you have to be able to depend on a good service ... after all, dialysis is our life-support.
Could you perhaps have a quiet word with the head-nurse or the doctor?
I do hope this can be sorted for you as soon as possible and I wish you good luck from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Marilee

Hubby was a PD Person - I was 'support'

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 05:33:24 AM »

Hi Aaisha. I know exactly how you feel: Like you, I tend to adjust quietly when others make changes, and when I can't it's difficult for me to be assertive.
Beyond the temperature, if the air is blowing directly on you, it can make muscles tense and even cramp - I get more headaches in the summertime because of fans blowing air. Being right next to a door raises stress levels, too, because people are coming and going through 'your space'. Plus, the changes were made without any input from you, so you feel like a piece of furniture yourself rather than a customer.
But you ARE a customer. They get paid because you exist and choose to use their services.
So, my short answer is I do not think you are "in the wrong" here.
Is there any way that you can simply refuse the chair next time? Don't sit down there. Tell them which available chair(s) you want. You don't have to be ugly or loud, just insistent.

As my hubby would say, "Don't let what you can't do get in the way of what you can."
Cowdog

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 09:41:08 AM »

I feel your pain. I was moved from a spot I really liked (end of a row, view out a window) to a corner chair beside the isolation room. When I went to the manager about the change she FINALLY and very reluctantly admitted that I was moved to that chair because I had the highest immune response on my shift to Hepatitis.  Their rules dictate that that's how the chairs are assigned to accommodate the H positive person.   

Hemo in Center since 11/2008
Self Cannulate since 2011
In Center Self Care since 2012
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 11:04:48 AM »

Put your request into writing and give it to the FA in charge.  State why you want to move and the benefits it will give to you.  Also list the problems you are having in the present seat.  They have 24 hours to answer your letter one way or another.
All I have to do now is ask if I need to put it into writing to get some small change done.  My last letter was because a tech used the wrong size needle on my fistula.  I was livid.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:06:49 AM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
SweetyPie

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 02:05:33 PM »

What gets me mad is I know I am not the only person with the highest immunity to hepatitis. What about the person who sat there before me? I am not looking forward to going tomorrow this really sucks. I feel annyoing even to myself having to ask and it will kick my anxiety up a notch if I tell cms because word might spread and Inust cant deal. Literally theres a whole row not being used.
SweetyPie

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 02:06:09 PM »

I mean HIV not hepatitis
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »

I am not looking forward to going tomorrow this really sucks.

In my center each set of day's had its own nurse.  If  you called on your off day you would talk to the other nurse and they would leave a note for your normal day's nurse. 

Would it help for you to call today and ask if your chair has been moved because its causing you anxiety - if the nurse doesn't know ask them to leave a note reminding your nurse of your request for the change for tomorrow? That way the nurse has a reminder and has an opportunity to come up with a solution before you come in?

I worry at your next session, if they have not moved you, they will not want to because the machine is already primed and setup etc..

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
SweetyPie

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 02:55:21 PM »

I talked to one of the nurses and she said yes dont worry we will change it. After that is didnt happen. I asked last treatment and if they dont move me I guess I'll call in.  But I doubt they will
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 03:51:07 PM »

Buy some cheap sheets cover your chair, bring sheet home wash and dry .  The temperature problem is the staff is running around in paper coats that don’t breath.  Along with the sheet a heavy blanket helps.  Also ask to have your blood returned at a higher temperature
SweetyPie

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 08:47:08 AM »

No luck same old freezing seat. Didnt even bother to tell anyone. Of I had to tell 4 people about this and nothing has been done it means they dont care about what I feel. Hoping for a transplant right this second goinf to dialysis is miserable
GA_DAWG

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 10:07:49 AM »

I agree with Michael Murphy as to the cause of the techs wanting the colder temps. However, exactly because the gowns are impermeable, it makes no difference as to the temperature. Add the face shields to the equation and they do not even get a breeze on their face. Again, toug, the face shields make it so no air gets in, regardless of hw cold. While I empathize with their situation, it does not excuse freezing the patients. Having the machine set at a higher temp does help, but the tech I have the most trust in told me that if it is above 37C, the body interprets you as having a fever and releases white blood cells that wil make you feel even worse than normal after a treatment.
SweetyPie

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »

I really dont get that. How does raising the temp make it worse? Is the the only problem why they dont do that? I rather take my chances and raise it up I already feel lousy after treatment. Side note I'm really down how the only thing I've ever asked them csnt be done. Almost depressed about my whole situation. Kinda start to think oh if I wasnt on dialysis this wouldn't have happened. Really this problem might not seem a lot to you guys but I cant stress enough how annyoing it is to always have the door open and close and the light brights shine in ur eyes when someone walks in to the isolation room.
I have a strong feeling the isolation lady switched shifts. Do you guys think it's weird how ever since I got moved she hasnt been there? I've heard if you have the highest immunity you get placed there but she is here anymore??!! I shouldn't have to deal with this kinda of stuff it honestly sucks. Sorry to keep bothering you all but I really appreciate you guys trying to find a solution.
lulu836

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »

The solution is totally in your hands.  There is nothing we can do.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my kidneys the most.
SweetyPie

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 07:22:50 PM »

The solution is totally in your hands.  There is nothing we can do.
I understand. What I meant was it was nice of them to give me ideas what to do.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 10:04:39 AM »

So I've been having a slight problem at dialysis which I feel isnt fair for me. So one day I come to dialysis and my seat is moved all the way near the door. The door isnt the door that leads to outside it's the door which leads to the lobby just clarifying. I wasnt to happy about this. Maybe it's me but I feel they should ask first because what if we dont like that spot. So the further down you go the cooler it gets. I told the tech I didnt like my spot nothing was done. Recently like one week ago after the inspectors left they made it a rule that whatever side your catheter or fistula is on that's the side where your machine will be. So the next treatment I was the at the first machine right by the door that opens and closes 24/7 and is pretty loud. It's weird also, I dont see a vent but it feel I'm in the artic!! Where is the cold air coming from blowing straight down on me??!! That same day after treatment I asked does this have to be my permanent seat and explained I dont enjoy it here the tech said I'll ask and see where you can be moved. Okay so Thursday came no seat change then Saturday came.

I talk to my tech whom I feel is someone I can talk to shes nice. I told her I wanted to move and she kinda made me feel as if it's a huge problem I want to change my seat. I'm not bragging but I really sont ask for much and really keep to myself most of the time and I'm very polite. She says when you were a seat down you didnt complain what happened now it's the same thing. Also, she says you could switch to Monday wednesdays friday schedule since you dint have school. Intold her I i already picked my classes I csnt. She also says the people in the back have low immune systems and cant be near the person with HIV who's in the glass room. What also weird she hasnt come ever since I got moved.. and shes known for keeping her iPad at full volume. Also when someone walks in there these bright lights turn on omg not pleasant my eyes and head start to hurt. So I explained everything to the tech and she tells me go talk to Miguel the other tech hes in charge of seating. I didnt get a chance to speak to him he was working on the other side so I told the nurse she was assuring and said yeah no problem. I told her I dont mean to be a bother but I have to spend the time here and it's better if it isnt too bad. She was extremely nice about it and immediately told the girl tech I told you about earlier.

Weekend passes, I went to dialysis today. Same chair. Out of frustration I feel like crying. I forgot to mention theres a WHOLE row of machines not being used I dont understand did I piss someone off? I told one of the techs she comes like sometimes she originally works at another facility. We've grown close so I told her you know I told about 3 people I wanted to change my seat I guess they forgot. She told me yeah I heard they are working on it. I said okay. I also said again sont want to be annoying and keep asking all the time and I dont want to take my seat I originally had for a good year and 3 months if it will bother that person because she asked if I wanted that seat.  Like I feel guilty in this whole stupid chair problem.
She said we asked Dave who's in charge of the seating arrangements and he will get back to us. I thought miguel was in xharge..the thing is miguel is intimidating so I guess that's why I guess they used his name. So we will wait and see.
If I'm wrong in this case someone please tell me. Also ice already have a blanket too many blankets will make me uncomfortable. You know dialysis already sucks as is.

Hello AaishaDar,
Please tell us ... has your problem been solved?
I do hope that an answer to this problem has been found for you and I send you my kind regards from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »

Just seen this thread. I worked out what the problem was from one sentence in the second paragraph of your first post. It is your line (typo corrected): "I'm not bragging but I really don't ask for much and really keep to myself most of the time and I'm very polite."

Some people moan and complain at every little thing. Some are polite and quiet. The techs/nurses have a lot to do in a short time, this is made difficult if they have to listen to moaners, and their life is made unpleasant if they get shouted at by rude patients. So, to keep them quiet, the moaners, shouters, and rude people get what they want. As in many cases there is a limited supply of "good things", for example (in your case) there are nicely situated chairs, and their are horribly situated chairs. The good chairs go to the people who will not put up with not getting the best. The bad chairs will go to the quiet polite people like you.

If you want to be liked, you will get the worst (or at least "least good") of everything. If you are prepared to be disliked by he staff, and demand a better chair rather than ask nicely, then eventually they will get fed up of you and give you the best chair, and the best of everything.

Short answer: Nice guys finish last.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
LoneHighway

OTR Trucker, Off-Grid in New Mexico

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 10:04:50 PM »

I find it hard to believe they would arrange chair assignments around an HIV positive patient! It’s not like you can catch it from sitting next to a person, and besides, with the meds they have now, HIV is basically a non-issue, as virtually all patients have undetectable viral loads.

Being cold all the time really sucks. At my clinic we’re not allowed to cover our face with a blanket (or anything else). They also make a big deal of assigning chairs and then they move you every other session.
SweetyPie

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 11:30:24 PM »

I find it hard to believe they would arrange chair assignments around an HIV positive patient! It’s not like you can catch it from sitting next to a person, and besides, with the meds they have now, HIV is basically a non-issue, as virtually all patients have undetectable viral loads.

Being cold all the time really sucks. At my clinic we’re not allowed to cover our face with a blanket (or anything else). They also make a big deal of assigning chairs and then they move you every other session.
Exactly!!!! Like I feel it's just an excuse for them not to move my chair. Some may feel like I'm a baby but staying cold for a long time sucks!! Its impossible to fall asleep. I'm always cold I guess its due to my hemoglobin so putting me in Antarctica just makes it even worse. Today it literally poured raining today when I was coming in. I got my pants wet lol imagine me that session.
SweetyPie

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 11:33:09 PM »

Just seen this thread. I worked out what the problem was from one sentence in the second paragraph of your first post. It is your line (typo corrected): "I'm not bragging but I really don't ask for much and really keep to myself most of the time and I'm very polite."

Some people moan and complain at every little thing. Some are polite and quiet. The techs/nurses have a lot to do in a short time, this is made difficult if they have to listen to moaners, and their life is made unpleasant if they get shouted at by rude patients. So, to keep them quiet, the moaners, shouters, and rude people get what they want. As in many cases there is a limited supply of "good things", for example (in your case) there are nicely situated chairs, and their are horribly situated chairs. The good chairs go to the people who will not put up with not getting the best. The bad chairs will go to the quiet polite people like you.

If you want to be liked, you will get the worst (or at least "least good") of everything. If you are prepared to be disliked by he staff, and demand a better chair rather than ask nicely, then eventually they will get fed up of you and give you the best chair, and the best of everything.

Short answer: Nice guys finish last.

In a way this made me kinda relieved maybe because you gave me an answer. I've noticed the ones who are quick to yell and complain do have the better seats. I wouldn't want to say the get the best treatment but In a way i feel like they may go out of their way to make sure everything is tip top. I asked a 5th person on Saturday. No luck, I dont really care at this point.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »