I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:41:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dealing with pain?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dealing with pain?  (Read 7148 times)
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 12:36:54 PM »

Kristina, as Charlie has said, pain is different for everyone.  My post tx pain was well managed after my tx.  When I was sent home, I was given a script for painkillers that I ended up not needing.  I never had pain that the occasional paracetamol wouldn't take care of.  You should be given a list of over the counter and/or prescription meds a tx patient should avoid.  When it comes to pain, paracetamol is acceptable while an NSAID (ibuprophen) is not.
  I was told to not take more than 2000 mg of paracetamol/acetaminophen/Tylenol per day after the transplant. They did send me home with an opioid but I only a pill or two on that the first/night day.  I think the dosage limits related to them wanting to protect my liver as the immunosuppressant's are hard on the liver.

Well in recovery they had me on the morphine drip but they wanted me to use it as little as possible, I don't know if it was the day after (under 24 hours) or the second day (48 hours) when I stopped using it totally but quickly I found it was not necessary all the time and I could bare the pain most of the time.

I also feel pain is different for everyone and generally the medical folks tell you what they want you to do regarding pain management and the goal (these days) is to minimize addictive drug use.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 12:38:13 PM by iolaire » Logged

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 02:21:08 AM »

Many thanks for your kind inputs, KatieV, Marilee, MooseMom and iolaire, I am very appreciative of your important information.
It is interesting to read about the different causes for kidney pain, listed by the Mayo Clinic ... and interestingly, when 
Katie mentioned her own kidney pain in connection with UTI's, I remembered that I also had regular occurring UTI's when I had kidney pain and sadly enough, the (many) doctors I consulted at that time did not see the connection between my kidney pain and the UTI's I was suffering from ...
And as Charlie has mentioned, pain is different for everyone and it is important to find out where it stems from in order to treat the underlying cause ...
Many thanks to all again from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »