I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:30:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medicare/Insurance
| | |-+  Where can I go for dental coverage!!??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where can I go for dental coverage!!??  (Read 2641 times)
SweetyPie

« on: July 12, 2018, 11:16:14 AM »

I just called my dentist office because I need quite some work done like wisdom teeth removal and braces. I wanted to get these things done because I am on the list and once I have s transplant I'm at a higher risk for infection. It would make sense to get things out the way am I right? So I called them and told them I have medicare snd Medicaid. They told me they dont cover if your are 21 and older. Seems like all the dental places have the same problem. So... WHERE DO I GO NOW? You would think medicare and Medicaid would be a bit more giving for people with disabilities. My family members can easily go anywhere and have things covered. I'm literally stuck.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 11:34:31 AM »

Reach out to your transplant team for advice. They can probably help figure out how you can get treatment for dental issues required for transplant.

I will say that from what I know of people with commercial insurance is that things like braces are basically only partially covered and people end up paying for most of it out of pocket.  When I get things like fillings and such I usually end up paying about 50% or more out of pocket because of Aetna co-pays or they don't cover the type of filling materials the dentist uses.

Also you are in DC area right?  I've heard that Howard University's dental program has free or discounted care from students (but that sounds a bit scary). 
http://www.districtchronicles.com/news/view.php/423706/Howard-offers-free-low-cost-dental-servi
http://healthsciences.howard.edu/education/colleges/dentistry/patient-care

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
SweetyPie

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:37:34 PM »

Lol that does sound scary. I want to go to a well experienced dentist and free... ehhhh doesnt sound too good lol. The one I used to go too was excellent but now that's put of the window. Hard finding a place you actually like. I will talk to my social worker on Tuesday.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 06:25:51 AM »

So I called them and told them I have medicare snd Medicaid. They told me they dont cover if your are 21 and older.
Who is the "them" you called.

Medicaid covers dental, but the trick is finding a "Medicaid dentist".   These are rare, as there is more money to be made in declining Medicaid patients than in treating them.
SweetyPie

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 11:44:37 AM »

Obviously the dentist office...
SweetyPie

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 11:46:00 AM »

Yeah that's what I wrote earlier, I cant find a dentist that accepts my insurance
LorinnPKD

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »

Medicaid doesn't cover dental in every state -- they're only required to cover children.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »