I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  beverage rant
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: beverage rant  (Read 20553 times)
George Jung

« on: April 26, 2007, 02:27:15 PM »

So I usually bring a drink with me and today was no exception besides the fact that I had forgotton it in the car.  After a couple hour nap I was thirsty and noticed I did not have my drink with me.  I asked the tech if he would get a sierra mist for me from the soda machine (I was only aware of the machine because of I crash I had several months ago and the nurse had me drink one), the tech agreed and upon his return he says to me "she won't let me give it to you.  It will be in the front office for when you leave."  I instantly became furious.  I told him to send over whoever said that.  He says he is sorry he is just doing what he was told to do.  So this woman (I call her a bitch) comes over and says the techs are not allowed to get drinks for patients.  I attempted to calm myself and said "well, let me ask you nicely, will you please make an exception this one time?"  I told her I always bring a drink and have never asked for one before.  The bitch didn't care one bit, said NO, I can not have it and basically walked away.  Talk about being pissed off!!!  Almost immediately I demanded to be taken off of the machine.  If nobody was going to bring my drink, p*ck 'em I will get it myself.  My time was almost over (25 min left) so that wasn't a big deal, however I would have done the same thing no matter what time was remaining.  Oh, I should mention that I was offered some water.  What's the difference......they could have easily put my drink in a cup (or offered to) and brought it out to me that way.  Side note....the center was practically cleared out.  I do not see why it would have been an issue to have a little compassion and make an exception 1 freaking time.  I think when I go Saturday I am going to bring in a cooler full of sierra mist and offer them to other patients, maybe my tech will hand them out for me....you know, instead of sitting on his/her ass talking on the phone or watching t.v.  I am sooooo pissed off.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 03:12:02 PM »

And you have every right to be pissed George, When i was in-center the techs had no problem getting sodas for us from the machine, but before i had left to start PD, that had all changed, they ripped the soda machine out, the ice machine out and we couldnt bring anything in.  I have been back to the clinic for my PD visits and i see they have changed back to letting people bring drinks again.  I think someone needs to make up their damn minds,  They also need to remember, we are adults, it is our bodies, and we know the consequences.  ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 03:43:36 PM »

Goerge you need my big stick to whack a few people with at your center. GRRRR!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »

What a bitch !

But then there is karma, that wonderful thing, she will get what she dished out back at her but triple fold!

>:D  >:D  >:D  >:D

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 04:50:45 PM »

Is that what Karma is??  OMG no wonder I'm on dialysis!!   >:(

Anyway, Geo. you are my kind of guy.  Don't get me what I want then take me off this freaking machine and I'll get it myself.  How insensitive.  It is not like you were asking for a coke (cola) or beer.  Something we can't have.  I would have taken the ice/water and thrown it across the room.  I'm mad for you right now!!

bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 05:15:33 PM »

Our center use to get us water and ice but a month ago they handed out notices that they could no longer give anything to the patients, said it was a government thing. They will only give water for medications. You can bring your own in, but if you forget it your stuck. Being a government thing is I thick a crock. Sounds like their just too tired of going back and forth. :wine;

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 06:30:03 PM »

They forget that we are the customers.  We are paying the bill.  I think they could get us a cup if ice since we can't do it ourselves.

George Jung

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 07:02:50 PM »

I think what bothers me the most is that I stopped and asked nicely if they could make an exception this one time and an instant NO was replied.  Also, this was the same woman who questioned me about why I wanted my medical records.......my reply then was because I want them and she replied.....Well, they are going to be 25 cents a page (also in a bitchy kinda way).  Whatever her reason for asking, it sure came out offensively.  Where is the compassion and understanding?  I don't want anything special, just a little human kindness would be nice.  I refuse to be treated like a prisoner, that's just how I felt today.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 07:09:48 PM »

i'd put a hit out on that bitch.  JK, but WTF is wrong with those people.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 08:20:10 PM »

I think what bothers me the most is that I stopped and asked nicely if they could make an exception this one time and an instant NO was replied.  Also, this was the same woman who questioned me about why I wanted my medical records.......my reply then was because I want them and she replied.....Well, they are going to be 25 cents a page (also in a bitchy kinda way).  Whatever her reason for asking, it sure came out offensively.  Where is the compassion and understanding?  I don't want anything special, just a little human kindness would be nice.  I refuse to be treated like a prisoner, that's just how I felt today.

Is there any chain of command there?  Can you go higher than her to complain, not only about today but just how she is treating you in general, like Rerun says, WE are not only the patients, we are the customers, not only that, WE ARE ADULTS DAMMIT  >:(

www.kidneyoogle.com
Chicken Little

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:58:46 PM »

I was looking forward to the free ice, but no luck.  >:(  They don't have ice and, like bolta72, they'll  only give water with meds.  Anything you want to eat or drink you gotta bring with you.
George Jung

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 10:14:14 PM »

I was looking forward to the free ice, but no luck. >:( They don't have ice and, like bolta72, they'll only give water with meds. Anything you want to eat or drink you gotta bring with you.

If the case was that they do not have anything to give then I think that would be one thing but to put my drink in the front office and tell me I can have it when I leave is absurd.  Like I am going to sit in the chair salivating for 25 minutes thinking about my dink slowly warming while it waits for me.  The tech said he would get one for me, I gave him my money, it came out of the machine and was put in the office.  Who in the hell do these people think they are.  If the tech did something he shouldn't have then that is his problem but because I was locked up in a chair I paid the price.  Well guess what, I still have the right to get up and leave whenever I please.  I am going to have it out with somebody, mark my words. >:D
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 10:51:26 PM »

I don't understand why they treat patients like children.
I would call the director of the unit and request a meeting.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 03:26:36 AM »

I was looking forward to the free ice, but no luck. >:( They don't have ice and, like bolta72, they'll only give water with meds. Anything you want to eat or drink you gotta bring with you.

If the case was that they do not have anything to give then I think that would be one thing but to put my drink in the front office and tell me I can have it when I leave is absurd.  Like I am going to sit in the chair salivating for 25 minutes thinking about my dink slowly warming while it waits for me.  The tech said he would get one for me, I gave him my money, it came out of the machine and was put in the office.  Who in the hell do these people think they are.  If the tech did something he shouldn't have then that is his problem but because I was locked up in a chair I paid the price.  Well guess what, I still have the right to get up and leave whenever I please.  I am going to have it out with somebody, mark my words. >:D
[/b]

George, definetely have it out with somebody, but don't let your health be jeopardised because of it, don't shorten your treatments in the future just because they are behaving like (.......... )-fill this in with what you choose LOL

No matter how hard it is,  deal with it after your treatment, I know it is hard, but your treatment is more important than these idiots.

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 03:37:01 AM »

George.  Can you go to a different center?  Your time is there money.  Also, offer to tell Medicare or your local congressman how you are treated.  That usually jerks someone awake.  This is tax payer's money.  Let's do a 60 minute Special Report on how much is being paid and then a patient being denied of a Pop the he/himself paid for.

You go in there and demand your rights!  Right to be treated with respect and to be kept comfortable. 

Just start showing up late.  That throws their day off and really messes with them.

As much as I hate DaVita they give me ice and water when I ask.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 08:42:50 AM »

wow! I feel like I am in semi-heaven reading this thread....

we get a cup of tea/coffee/cordial/ice with some food at treatments and they'll get us a drink if we want it later on.. I dunno about going to the soda machine.. and they laugh when i request vodka... but then later top up my saline and "juice" you know, the K2 bath etc.. and tell me it's vodka lol... ha ha!

Perhaps George should write to the manager of the center/unit he is in rather than the power trip woman who fobbed him off? Surely a consistent policy needs to be in place.. I mean if they have a no drinks to be provided, then the tech should have known and said no rather than going and doing it (nice tech)... but now the tech was prob. put in a bad situation and you are even more pissed off with the entire staff.

Did you get your Sierra mist in the end? I've had that a few times in the US.. nice soda!! :)

And yes, I have often wondered why there is a big pepsi machine outside the dialysis unit...

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 12:46:16 PM »

If you start getting off the machine early, wont they consider you as "non compliant" and wouldnt that hurt your chances for getting on the transplant list?   Be careful of not what you do, but HOW you do it my friend...  :beer1;

www.kidneyoogle.com
bdpoe

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 10:23:34 PM »

You go into the cliinic and you are alone. Most other patients are not
going to stand up for you. Everybody is afraid of retribution.
The nurses forgot their ethics and compasionate care lessons and learned
that they can get away with watching TV, loud boisterous behavior and personal phone calls
while ignoring your needs.

The nurse is supposed to be YOUR primary advocate.
Instead they are mainly interested in doing as little as possible.
Sure, there are a few exceptions.
But generally it's hokk e'm up and take 'em off.

What passes for medical care is an outrage for people in such dire circumstances
who are met with such indifference.

What can you prove is all that matters to them.
Since they control the information, there is little you can prove.
I know it sucks.
.................bd
keefer51

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 04:38:42 AM »

At my center we had ice but about a year ago they stopped it. When fersinius took over there were alot of changes. Alot of supplies were bought in that were obviously cheaper. We are allowed to bring our own fluid in. If we get thirsty we get tepid tap water. I am on the last shift so ther have been many a time i sat holding both of my sites just to have to tape my self because they were busy getting ready for the morning. We should have at least a ice machine. But i am glad we can bring our own.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
DavitastaffRN

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 07:35:22 PM »

Most cllinics are now going to no food or drinks while on dialysis unless you have a medical reason for that. I think not having food  is a wise idea myself. I have seen during my years, several cases where patients have coded while on the machine and its very difficult to put an airway down with food still in the mouth and/or throat.
Don't get me wrong, I am not in favor or someone having to suffer with no drinks, but the food thing is okay with me. However, as I have stated before, I am not the one having to sit in that chair three times a week for 4 hours either. I can not imagine how you must feel sitting there with needles in your arm!
George Jung

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 07:51:14 PM »

The day that someone tells me I can't eat or drink for the four hours I am being treated is the day I sign up for home hemo.  You can recommend to patients what they should or shouldn't do but it is ultimately up to them.  Just the thought of someone telling me what I can and can't do really gets me steamed, especially when it is about my time during treatment when I don't want to be there in the first place.  Trust me, I would much rather eat my lunch and wash it down my throat anywhere else.  One of the techs keeps asking me if I brought anything for her (whenever I eat).......at first it was kinda cute or whatever but after this drink incident it is pissing me off.  You mean to tell me that you want to joke around about me bringing you some goddies when you won't/can't even give me the drink that I paid for and the tech said they would get for me? Screw you!!!  Half of these techs sit down and B.S. with eachother after they get everyone situated anyway.....why not worry about that rather then worry about them getting someone a drink if they need it?  Surely they should be finding something productive to be doing if they aren't allowed to spend 2 minutes to get me a beverage.

If you start getting off the machine early, wont they consider you as "non compliant" and wouldn't that hurt your chances for getting on the transplant list? Be careful of not what you do, but HOW you do it my friend... :beer1;

It was a one time thing.  I always bring what I need with me, on this particular day I forgot my drink in the car.  I only cut the treatment by 20 minutes or so so if they want to pull some non-compliant crap I welcome it and say bring it on....I will surely have someone's ass for that one way or another.  Nobody is going to hold anything over me like that.  I will instantly find a purpose in life for sure....

Nothing else has come of it as I have sort of forgiven but not forgotton.  I don't want to start trouble but the next run-in I have with this bitch I am going to do something about it.  My patients with her are gone...she walks by and I don't even want to look at her.  All that happens is I get angry and she probably could care less.  I think she is actually more miserable than I am and I'm the one on dialysis.  It probably made her feel good in some way to tell me I can't have my drink.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 10:09:33 AM »

The day that someone tells me I can't eat or drink for the four hours I am being treated is the day I sign up for home hemo.  You can recommend to patients what they should or shouldn't do but it is ultimately up to them.

It really depends on the unit in how strict they are.

The unit is no different than any other business in which they set the rules.

A unit can refuse service if the patient refuses to follow the units rules. 

George Jung

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 10:16:08 AM »

The day that someone tells me I can't eat or drink for the four hours I am being treated is the day I sign up for home hemo. You can recommend to patients what they should or shouldn't do but it is ultimately up to them.

What in the hell are you talking about?
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 10:25:40 AM »

The day that someone tells me I can't eat or drink for the four hours I am being treated is the day I sign up for home hemo. You can recommend to patients what they should or shouldn't do but it is ultimately up to them.

What in the hell are you talking about?

If  a patient refuses to follow rules that a unit sets in its clinical setting, they can refuse to provide service, thus making one dialyze through the emergency room or go to another unit.  While I do not know how often it actually occurs it has happened to people before.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 10:28:21 AM by BigSky » Logged
Russ

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 10:52:36 AM »

I just started NxStage at home last week.  I have water or ice whenever I like but I don't over do it.  It's like getting out of jail after being in a clinic for 1 1/2 years.  Oh and I can scratch anywhere I feel like.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »