I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:48:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  PAIN
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PAIN  (Read 3614 times)
uttanutta

« on: July 05, 2018, 03:57:55 PM »

Hi everyone was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions,been on pd for coming up 5 years get  little aches and pains but last night WOW!I woke up feeling like i was having bits of glass stabbed in my wrist pain killer did nothing got no sleep and still pretty sore this morn.Has anyone else had something like this?
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 04:09:43 PM »

I have been fortunate not to experience pain from PD.  I have felt discomfort-- basically from being so full ( I fill with 2400ml)-- and the pressure on my diaphragm that comes with being so full.  But not what I would call "pain."  Maybe the fluid is pressing on a nerve that triggers your wrist.  That all I can think of.  Sorry you're having it.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
uttanutta

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 04:33:31 PM »

Gosh kickingandscreaming 2400ml is a big fill! I only do 1700ml and that feels enough!!
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 05:57:49 PM »

It's amazing what you can get used to.  And I'm not a big person.  I'm barely 5'4".  2400 IS a lot for someone like me.  But that's the only way I can pass my clearance test.  I dialyze with 2400/fill, and run 7 exchanges (5 on the cycler) and 2 manual which takes about 14 hours of my life.  And I hold my breath and pray every time I have to do a clearance test.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 07:16:02 AM »

There can be a number of causes for pain in the wrist.

A pinched nerve in the wrist, elbow, or neck can be the most common.

Gout, or pseudo gout, formation of crystals in any joint can be another.

Many nights I get pain in either, or both hands from having my elbow(s) 'bent', impinging on nerves to the hands.  Waking up in pain and immediately realizing my position I simply straighten out the arm and the pain begins to subside.
Marilee

Hubby was a PD Person - I was 'support'

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 04:37:14 PM »

My hubby hasn't experienced anything like this related to PD - the only pain he gets from that is drain pain.

I'm gonna second Charlie's ideas:

The broken glass description is a lot like gout (Hubby's been known to get that from time to time in his toe) but that typically doesn't resolve in a few hours. Do you already take a gout medication (such as Allopurinol)?

It sounds to me more like sleeping in a position that pinched a nerve (could even be one in your neck or back to radiate to the wrist). Depending on how long the nerve was pinched, that kind of pain can last 12 hours until the nerve finally calms down.

As my hubby would say, "Don't let what you can't do get in the way of what you can."
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 09:05:50 PM »

You don’t happen to have a preemptive fistula on that arm?

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
uttanutta

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 01:19:47 AM »

Hi all. thanks for the replies and suggestions.Its a no for the fistula i have not had that done yet.Iv got doc next week so ill ask there as well.After 2 very sore nights pain completely gone so not sure what going on.Never had anything like it before
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 08:19:58 AM »

Hello and I just hope for you that it stays without any pain from now on.
Best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 07:22:39 PM »

I re-read your first post and discovered that I completely missed that you already said pain killers had NO effect.

Classic pinched nerve or nerve impingement.  Pain meds will have no effect on the area of the pain because the cause is much farther up the nerve path towards the brain.

Been there, done that.  Many times.

Thursday I FINALLY saw the Pain Dr at the VA.  Straightened out a massive misalignment in my pelvic bones, again.  That has had me whimpering like a baby for 2 months.  Rt hip, the whole thigh, and the knee have been screaming with every move, and they weren't very happy just sitting still either.   Far better now.

Since the pain has resolved I suspect you had a slight kink in your neck which fortunately worked itself back straight.

I suggest in the future you start asking around to find a good but gentle chiropractor and establish a relationship so when this happens again you can get in quickly.

uttanutta

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 08:23:14 PM »

hi i have been suggested a chiropractor before but was abit unsure,are they good and how do you find a good one?
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 04:31:35 PM »

You will just have to talk to a LOT of people to find out who they like.

If he, the Dr, looks like a muscle bound ape, PASS.  These guys tend to be a bit to forceful.

We are fortunate to have a little old lady here in town that uses heat, massage and a simple little press of her thumb.  She is also one of the instructors at the Chiropractic College outside of St Louis.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 08:15:25 AM »

I have used chiropractic for many many years.  I swear by it, but it does depend on the chiropractor.  They are not all created equal.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Kansas75

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 02:19:41 PM »

Kickingandscreaming, what does your chiropractor do with/for you?  I just starting seeing one for my stiff neck and uncomfortable lower neck.  How is it helping you?
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 03:28:41 PM »

My chiro uses a very subtle form of chiro.  No cracking or anything harsh.  She uses kinesiology and tests various points (similar to but not the same as acupuncture meridians) and when she finds something that's "off" she does her magic.  I honestly don't know what she does.  All I know is that I come in in horrible pain and she fixes me.  I was on her table a. lot this year because I tore a bunch of ligaments in my lower back and I was in a lot of pain.  It took quite a while to fix, but we did.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 03:43:56 PM »

Gentle massage with heat packs can relieve a lot of the muscle tension, making it much easier for simple manipulation of the spine back into alignment.

My Pain Dr at the VA shows me how to do simple muscle presses/pulls I can do myself to make some of the more simple alignments that I usually get myself into.
Marilee

Hubby was a PD Person - I was 'support'

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 07:47:47 AM »

A related area that may be worth investigating is Trigger Point Therapy. Trigger points are muscle-and-fascia problems that radiate pain to OTHER parts of the body (for example, a trigger point in a chest muscle can trigger another in a neck muscle and that in turn can feel like a headache). It is something that more and more massage therapists, pain centers and chiropractors treat. They're like tiny muscle cramps that don't work out on their own. I have several muscles that develop trigger points, especially while I'm asleep -  I get into the darndest positions - so I'm getting better at working them out myself. I learned about them from "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief " ( http://a.co/4AXUtaa ) .

As my hubby would say, "Don't let what you can't do get in the way of what you can."
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 11:46:55 PM »

Sounds like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »