I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:25:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  RANT time: This time about the Social Worker! I couldn't believe it.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RANT time: This time about the Social Worker! I couldn't believe it.  (Read 8408 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« on: February 21, 2006, 01:13:51 PM »

Well as you all know I go to a Davita and recently I have been toying with the idea of home dialysis or even nocturnal home dialysis or still even the nxstage home dialysis machine. I have been getting some info on the web and so at dialysis yesterday I spoke with the social worker to get info from her about Davita's Home dialysis program. http://www.davitaathome.com but she had no idea that site even existed.  ??? she didn't even know Davita offered home dialysis! at least not in this area. I am confused I thought she was supposed to know things like this, she is supposed to be our advocate isn't she? I mean several Davita's in surrounding cities offer home dialysis programs it's not like it's uncommon in our area. The next Davita that offers a home program is like 5 miles away from my current Davita.  ::)

But I guess I am mistaken about the duties of a social worker because I have never really needed them and I just take care of my own problems. Don't get me wrong our social worker is very caring and understanding and is always available to talk and help and I like her very much, she is a wonderful lady, and I always she her running around helping people. I just though that Davita would want/make her know/learn all of the current treatment options for the patients she advocates for.

But she did say she will check up on it and get back to me with some more info about Davita's home dialysis program.

-Epoman
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 01:18:22 PM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
kevno

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 02:45:39 PM »

>:( I've only ever seen a So called Social Worker once.  See was useless! When I went back on dialysis in 1988.  I wanted to know about work,  how it would change my life and who to get, to help get my room ready for CAPD.  See was the Renal Unit Social Worker.  See had no idea.I  Just walked out of the room.  Never seen one since. what a washout, went in hoping for help came out with nothing. >:(

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 09:29:18 PM »

Mine needs her own Social Worker!   I can say "my fistula quit working, my Hickman fell out and my Mother died....."

She would answer "other than that are things going well?"  :D  "if there is anything I can do, just ask"   :-\

Good Grief!  How much do these people get paid to do NOTHING!

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 09:55:01 PM »

Mine needs her own Social Worker!   I can say "my fistula quit working, my Hickman fell out and my Mother died....."

She would answer "other than that are things going well?"  :D  "if there is anything I can do, just ask"   :-\

;D ;D ;D

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

kevno

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 03:33:26 PM »

You said it Rerun ;D Paid for doing nothing >:( if not less than that >:D

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 03:51:40 PM »

she didn't even know Davita offered home dialysis!

WTF?  Way to instill confidence from your clients.  Social workers are on my crap-list too.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 10:22:09 AM »

Well as you all know I go to a Davita and recently I have been toying with the idea of home dialysis or even nocturnal home dialysis or still even the nxstage home dialysis machine. I have been getting some info on the web and so at dialysis yesterday I spoke with the social worker to get info from her about Davita's Home dialysis program. http://www.davitaathome.com but she had no idea that site even existed.  ??? she didn't even know Davita offered home dialysis! at least not in this area. I am confused I thought she was supposed to know things like this, she is supposed to be our advocate isn't she? I mean several Davita's in surrounding cities offer home dialysis programs it's not like it's uncommon in our area. The next Davita that offers a home program is like 5 miles away from my current Davita.  ::)

But I guess I am mistaken about the duties of a social worker because I have never really needed them and I just take care of my own problems. Don't get me wrong our social worker is very caring and understanding and is always available to talk and help and I like her very much, she is a wonderful lady, and I always she her running around helping people. I just though that Davita would want/make her know/learn all of the current treatment options for the patients she advocates for.

But she did say she will check up on it and get back to me with some more info about Davita's home dialysis program.

-Epoman

OMG!!  Keep after her to get what you need!!!  That IS HER JOB!!!

The Davita clinics and Fresenius clinic here in SC apparently are just as bad. 

But, I can't say enough good about the DaVita home hemo unit in Atlanta (about 100 miles away).  The DIRECTOR of the unit gives all of the home hemo patients (more than 50) her cell phone number and 24/7 beeper number.  My husband may not need dialysis for a few months but she and the social worker there have been helping us w/ information and advice for several months.  I have received return calls from them in the evening and on the weekend.  She said they only need about one week lead time to have a NxStage ready for us to start training.  We'll both train for about a week or 10 days, then Hubby will stay for another 2 to 3 weeks.

Please let me know what she finds out for you.  Thanks to you she may be ready w/ info for everyone else too.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 04:42:16 PM »

-Epoman

OMG!!  Keep after her to get what you need!!!  That IS HER JOB!!!

The Davita clinics and Fresenius clinic here in SC apparently are just as bad. 

But, I can't say enough good about the DaVita home hemo unit in Atlanta (about 100 miles away).  The DIRECTOR of the unit gives all of the home hemo patients (more than 50) her cell phone number and 24/7 beeper number.  My husband may not need dialysis for a few months but she and the social worker there have been helping us w/ information and advice for several months.  I have received return calls from them in the evening and on the weekend.  She said they only need about one week lead time to have a NxStage ready for us to start training.  We'll both train for about a week or 10 days, then Hubby will stay for another 2 to 3 weeks.

Please let me know what she finds out for you.  Thanks to you she may be ready w/ info for everyone else too.

So Davita will use the nxstage? damn that's good to know. And the director giving her cell phone to everyone makes her a very special person in my book. It's nice to know that some Davita's out there give a crap.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

bdpoe

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 10:40:16 AM »

Been there, done that, bought the Tee Shirt and the Book.
Went to a well off fundie church, the kind with well dressed folks in expensive cars and homes
with a well known somewhat locally famous pastor who told me " we don't have any resources to help you."
(except for a short prayer asfter hearing my sob story about being desperate straights.)

Went to a psycologist and psychiatric nurse Hope things get better see you in three months see if these
pills help ( The pills solved none of my problems and things got worse.)

Have seen seven different social workers and am amazed at how little they could help me.
(I got more answers on the web sites than from them.)

Same with dieticians. One says one thing , another says something different. I was in the Hospital for a week
and loaded up on Chocolate milk, Mashed Potatos,  Ice cream, Cake and Bran Muffins LOL. Then I was told
"your numbers look good." HUH????

Ever try to get factual stright answers over the phone with Medicare, Medicaid, Health and Human Resources
DCF, The ESRD Network or others? Nobody has the time to roll up their sleeves and really help you so it seems at times.

There's so much more to this story than I can possibly share or even remember.

Do your state and federal legislators really give a darn???
.........bd

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »