I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 02:55:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  "FOSRENOL" Who uses it or has tried it?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "FOSRENOL" Who uses it or has tried it?  (Read 12860 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« on: February 21, 2006, 12:22:32 PM »

I am now trying yet another  >:( Phosphorus binder to see If I can remember to take this one.  ::) It's supposedly better than Renegel or others. But the problem is it needs to be chewed, it really just tastes like chalk. it's a fairly good size tablet. I use the 500mg size. I was worried because I read literature about the biggest side effect is nausea, but so far I have had no symptoms.

I will post here to let you guys know if I see any improvement in my PH lab results.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
geoffcamp

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 04:20:29 PM »

I am using this but it also comes in a capsle form.  They are pretty big too but them seem to be working.

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 04:41:48 PM »

I am using this but it also comes in a capsle form.  They are pretty big too but them seem to be working.

??? Capsules they need to be chewed. I checked the Fosrenol website and they do not make capsules only chewable tablets.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

geoffcamp

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 08:30:32 PM »

you are right, I made a mistake.  I tried the fosrenol and hated the chalkly taste and how hard they were to chew so they let me try this Phoslo that now comes in capsules.  My phosphoros has always been out of control up to 15 hovering around 10-12 most of the time taking the Phoslo has been steadly bringing my levels down to now in the 7's for the last week and going lower.  I have made no diet changes as I like to eat fruit, chocolate, and most bad things including milk.. whole milk!  there are two of us in my unit who have had the same difficulties and he is responding well to the phoslo too.  I hate chewing on those binders the capsules go down much eaiser and I find I can remember them better because it is like a med not the over th counter tums they made me try for so long.  I suggest you give them a try.  Sorry for the mistake but I hope you give phoslo a try it helped me.  I am aiming at gettig my phosphoros under 5 in the next two weeks wis me luck.. I just started a full time job so carrying around all these pills becomes a nightly chore to put them in my bag and make sure they are with me at all times so I can take them even with snacks.

Geoffrey Campbell
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 08:37:44 PM »

you are right, I made a mistake.  I tried the fosrenol and hated the chalkly taste and how hard they were to chew so they let me try this Phoslo that now comes in capsules.  My phosphoros has always been out of control up to 15 hovering around 10-12 most of the time taking the Phoslo has been steadly bringing my levels down to now in the 7's for the last week and going lower.  I have made no diet changes as I like to eat fruit, chocolate, and most bad things including milk.. whole milk!  there are two of us in my unit who have had the same difficulties and he is responding well to the phoslo too.  I hate chewing on those binders the capsules go down much eaiser and I find I can remember them better because it is like a med not the over th counter tums they made me try for so long.  I suggest you give them a try.  Sorry for the mistake but I hope you give phoslo a try it helped me.  I am aiming at gettig my phosphoros under 5 in the next two weeks wis me luck.. I just started a full time job so carrying around all these pills becomes a nightly chore to put them in my bag and make sure they are with me at all times so I can take them even with snacks.

Oh yeah I tried Phoslo but I would have to take like 7-8 of of those darn things, I have been on everything. I used to use Basagel now those worked great I was on them for years but now they are banned in the USA do to aluminum content. They found that they could caused brain damage by the aluminum going to the brain. Now they tell me  ::)

I just started the Fosrenal so we'll see how it goes. I hate the chewing factor but supposedly they are the best right now for PH absorbtion. Plus I would only have to chew 1 maybe 2.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

geoffcamp

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 08:54:21 PM »

chewing on those fosrenol was like chewing on rocks and taste like shit, I like the phoslo I take three right after or during meals.  Been working so far as I remember to take them which is where I get myself in trouble I forget to take the other stuff probably cause they taste so bad to me.  you and I have similar issues it souds like with phosphorous.  My doctor told me she has seen people die with levels as high as mine were and then showed me the pictures of the open calcium wounds that scared the hell out of me.  Forgive me for being gross but she showed me a picture of a penis that was so discusting that I had nightmares and decided it was time to do something about it.  I mostly itch on my arms and stomach sometimes opening up sores it is really scaring me I want to get this under control ASAP.

Geoffrey Campbell
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 09:58:43 PM »

My Phos is bad too.  They put me on Sensipar.  It is supposed to shut off my parathyroids so they don't send signals to my body to take more calcium out of my bones to match the high level of Phosphorus.  We'll see if it works.  I love milk, skim, 1%, 2% and Whole!  I have given up all but one 8oz glass in the morning.  Geez you would think it was the last glass I would ever drink if you watched me.  I savor every drop.  When I have my transplant I drank a gallon a week!  No wonder I was fat!   :-X

kevno

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 02:57:34 PM »

I take calcium 500, came off renagel, plus ALU-caps. My phos is still high so the docs have upped my calcium 500 to 12 a day.  3 x 4 they are not that big, smaller than a 802mg renagel tab. Never come across FOSENOL maybe it has not got to the UK yet.  I have just been put on a New kidney, sorry dializer.  called a fx60 before I was on a fx6.  It is suppose to take out a bit more phos.  Will have to wait and see if it works.

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 03:38:43 PM »

I was prescribed Phoslo when I first started dialysis, but they cost too much here.  Another patient told me that her doctor prescribed Tums and it works for her.  That is what I have been trying (when I remember)

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 10:19:19 PM »

I started it last month.  I don't mind the taste but damned it get stuck in the teeth and I am chewing little particles of it all day long. Icky!  Not bad.  I am awaiting results for this months phosphorus levels to see if they work for me.  I had a lot of nausea with them at first.  But that has gone away. Now I just do not want to eat anything. When I do eat and take it, the food seems to stick around longer and I need longer times between meals.  Interesting.

Katherine
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:34:18 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
woody756

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »

I started with Tums, but told the Neph that I would like to try Fosrenol.  The first I received was with a patient program, now all that has changed the first of the year.  My labs are very good, phos is in the good range. Like the taste and don't mind chewing, my worry now will be cost >:(  BTW The I Hate Dialysis golf shirt is super, I wear it to the center ;D   HUGZ   Woody
calypso

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 01:20:10 PM »

I used to take phoslo but my blood calcium levels went too high so they switched me to renagel. I have to take 4 pills per meal. Chewing chalky tablets while I'm trying to eat does not sound good to me. My appetite ain't so great to begin with. So I'm happy that my phosphorous is under control with renagel but then I don't eat a lot of dairy either just a little cheese o something once in a while.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 11:17:36 PM »

Eating like a pig now.  Oink Oink!  However the phosrenol gives me the burps after eating.  I can now belch with the best of them!  Buuurrrrack! Buuuruuuppp!  Does this happen to anyone else?  I usually take it after I eat or with the last few bites of my meal.  I found if I took it before I ate, I felt like throwing up constantly.  I am also farting pretty good, too.  Luckily this stuff does not bind me up like other drugs did, nor does it give me diarrhea.  I can sure fart up a storm lately.  My phosphorous is in the six to seven range and stays there pretty much.  I would like it to go into the five range, but so far no go. Of course if I followed the rice cake and no water renal diet it might go down more!

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Panda_9

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 02:50:16 AM »

Wow you all seem to of had a bad run with phosphate!! Geoffcamp...a level of 15....all I can say is  :o
Mine was up a little until I went onto nocturnal. Its now normal and the best part is we don't need the binders and can have milk, cheese, chocolate etc. I just had a kinder beuno mmmmm!!!!
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 06:44:23 PM »

I am supposed to take (chew) 2 Fosrenol's  with every meal.  Since starting PD, i eat once  a day, (gotta have my protein)  but my phosphorus is still up.  I told my dr. i take 2 with my meal and thats it,  he told me i need to take them even if i dont eat?  has anyone else heard of this?  i thought you needed food to "bind" with the med?   I too, had trouble getting used to them so what i did is i consider them my "after dinner mint"  then after i chew that, i throw a mint down my throat. lol,  Me gotsta do what me gotsta do.....

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Panda_9

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 02:14:23 AM »

I haven't heard of forsrenol before but my dietition told me the most effective way to take binders is immediately before you eat. This way the food falls down onto the binder. If you don't eat, then there is no point taking a binder.
Goofynina, a couple of questions for you..... do you only eat once a day because of nausea? Perhaps if you eat a bit more, along with binders, it might bring your phosphate down. Have you had a dialysis adequacy test recently? How many exchanges do you do per day?
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 10:08:33 PM »

I am now trying yet another  >:( Phosphorus binder to see If I can remember to take this one.  ::) It's supposedly better than Renegel or others. But the problem is it needs to be chewed, it really just tastes like chalk. it's a fairly good size tablet. I use the 500mg size. I was worried because I read literature about the biggest side effect is nausea, but so far I have had no symptoms.

I will post here to let you guys know if I see any improvement in my PH lab results.

I think you may want to check the fine print on that one.     :o

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 11:03:15 AM »

What fine print Zach,  you got me worried now...

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 11:21:45 AM »

We just need to understand the benefits vs. the risks of the medications we use --whether it's for the transplant patient or the dialysis patient.

All phosphate binders have potential risks, we just need to stay informed and make the best choice for our individual needs.
I struggle with this all the time.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 11:26:12 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Dr. Evil

...dialysis IS the miracle...

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006, 11:22:27 AM »

A patient told me that he took his fosrenol, put it in a baggie, hit it (...softly) with a hammer, then sprinkled it on his food.  He said he never tasted it or noticed the chalky texture that way.

But it is expensive, but not as expensive as renagel.  

The hardest problem is convincing people that they don't work while in the bottle....they have to be actually taken to work! >:D

I tend to give more people phoslo now.  It is cheaper and you get less calcium absorption than tums.  You could also combine sensipar with phoslo if you have good phos control but the calcium is too high.  But then the cost factor comes back into play.

So basically.....no easy answer..... ???

Solo Private Practice Nephrologist, Board Certified in Nephrology and Internal Medicine
Somewhere in the USA
"I am not really sure how the kidneys work, but I sure know what to do when they don't!"
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2006, 11:34:02 AM »

When competition in the phosphate binder industry comes, can better information be far behind?    ;)
(for all you fans of Percy Bysshe Shelley)

I make films.

Dr. Evil

...dialysis IS the miracle...

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006, 11:38:51 AM »

1) The competition is here and heating up.....All three big players are starting to slug it out.....Phoslo, Renagel, and Fosrenol.

2) I missed your reference.....please explain (....sorry if I am a dumb-ass in terms of a literature reference, or something similar) :P

Solo Private Practice Nephrologist, Board Certified in Nephrology and Internal Medicine
Somewhere in the USA
"I am not really sure how the kidneys work, but I sure know what to do when they don't!"
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006, 11:47:03 AM »

When competition in the phosphate binder industry comes, can better information be far behind?    ;)
(for all you fans of Percy Bysshe Shelley)

"When winter comes, can spring be far behind?" is a quote from Shelley.

I make films.

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2006, 11:51:32 AM »

The hardest problem is convincing people that they don't work while in the bottle....they have to be actually taken to work! >:D

Good point!        ;)

I make films.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 12:01:26 PM »

Yeah I know you have to take them for them to work, but with only a half hour for lunch, then back into it with the 6th graders I teach, sometimes I forget.  Plus the taste and the heartburn I have after I take it makes it hard to swallow in my mind.  But I do take them when I remember to and am trying to be better about it. I am going to pack it in my lunchpail from now on and just add it to lunch I pack into school.

lifenotonthelist.com

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »