I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:48:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  So, how's your summer going?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, how's your summer going?  (Read 8974 times)
Riki
Elite Member

« on: July 07, 2017, 08:24:22 PM »

Mine has been busy, though I don't feel like I've really done that much.

I'm trying to finalize all the details on a trip to Atlanta in August.  It's mostly just medical testing that needs to be done now.  I have my tickets and my hotel has been booked for months.  I have been told that I have space in a unit near where I'm staying.  I need to email them to remind them.

I'm also finalizing things to start school in the fall.  I've got my student loan application nearly done.  I just need a couple of forms filled out and uploaded to their site and I'll be done.  I've already registered for my classes and know what my schedule will be.  I'll be able to sleep in an extra hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which I'm loving.  I'll get to sleep a little more the morning after dialysis, *G*  I haven't heard anything about any of the bursaries that I applied for.  I think there was 9 of them all together.

I haven't been to the beach yet, though we've had amazing weather for it.  I have a couple more weeks before I'm allowed to do any swimming after my cataract surgery, but I'm going to start walking again this week.  I need to get my stamina up before I go to Atlanta. *G*

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 04:59:34 PM »

HOT summer time hit here, so playing on the computer, trying to stay cool. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 05:53:46 PM »

Went to the beach this afternoon for the first time.  Still not allowed to swim, but did some wading and sat in the sun, and enjoyed the ocean breezes.  It was 27C (80F) with a humidex of 30C (86F).  Absolutely beautiful

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 11:23:54 AM »

I have worked all summer... Yuck!  I did go to the zoo with my family on Saturday!  It was nephew (age 4) and niece's (age 10 months) first time going.  Both of them loved it, but my niece liked all the lights and bright colors more than the animals!  It was hot a hell, but fun.  The zoo is my favorite place to go! 

In a couple weeks I am going to Tennessee with my mom to see my grandparents.  I am blessed to have all four of my grandparents still, but they are all in their 80's and each of them have different health problems. 

My car, 2007 Toyota Prius with one 125,000 miles, died a couple weeks ago, so I did get a new car! Well, new to me.  A 2016 Jeep Cherokee!  Loving it so far!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 07:14:35 PM »

We're spending our summer looking for a new apartment that consistently has running water (current one doesn't) repairs made in a timely fashion AND DONE for that matter (current one doesn't), air conditioning that works (unlike the current one) and not being used by the drug cartel (like the current one is). In addition to looking at other places, we have also paid close attention to online crime maps, reports and reviews of other apartments. We've driven and studied other neighborhoods. I've called and emailed questions. Being very thorough this time! So far we've narrowed our choices down to three. One place is exactly 2 minutes from hubby's dialysis center, second choice is about 6 minutes away and third choice is also just within minutes. We LOVE the idea of being so near a center. Meanwhile, can't say it enough how much we are looking forward to leaving this dump of a place. These past several months have been absolute H-E-double L. Just can't take living here anymore. 

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 03:08:03 AM »

I ran across a fishing boat that I just had to have.  I had sold my previous Fish ans Ski when I was first forced to 'Retire' as there was no way on Disability I could afford to make the payments, nor buy the fuel to take it out fishing anywhere.  I never liked the Missouri or Mississippi Rivers for the muddy waters.  No self respecting fish would want to live in water like that.

I recently learned of a waterway in-state that runs clean, clear, and COLD enough for resident trout to grow BIG.  Table Rock Lake, Lake Taneycomo, Bull Shoals, all are part of the White River complex running across the bottom of Missouri and on down into Arkansas.  Record setting trout, Brown trout, and Strippers/Stripers(Sp?)(White Bass). Realistically, I know I won't be able to afford to go but a few times each year, but that will at least be a few more than I am going now! So I am thrilled at the opportunities coming.

The boat trailer doesn't have trailer brakes on it.  I will change that. I don't care much for the idea of having 3500 pounds of boat, motor and trailer chasing me down the hills on the way down, or back even if I ever learned to drive the normal speed limits.  I already bought all the necessary parts, the back of my lil truck is half full of metal, waiting for me to get outside in this heat and get busy bolting it all together.  I had to drop the boat off at a marina a little over an hour away on the river so I could have the trailer empty, making it far easier to work on.

I have a number of small things to change on the boat to make it more 'Charlie' friendly. I find it hard to believe a boat manufacturer ever built a boat without a horn, so you can bet a Coast Guard approved horn will be bolted on and wired in.  The depth sounder display is clouded, unreadable, definitely replacing that with a far better GPS display unit, as well as installing another 'back-up' system. Fire extinguishers, check, more life jackets, check. More bumpers, check.  Replaced the dock lines/ropes, check. Replace one dry battery, check. Carb clean will have to wait until it is back on the trailer and here at home.

Weather this week is hitting 100F with high humidity driving the heat index up a few more degrees.  I'm hiding here inside the house, not getting much of anything done.  I sure am not out mowing the yard.  Cutting the grass in this weather is a sure way for a very early browning of the yard.  I rather leave it long and green then make it look like it's dying.

Edit: Spelling lake names.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:36:19 AM by Charlie B53 » Logged
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 06:08:35 AM »

We kicked off the summer season over Labor Day with a trip to Madrid and Barcelona.  We ended up liking Barcelona the most and really enjoyed a day trip to Montserrat Spain.  The mountain was a nice break from the city and a visit to a very historical religious area.  We are not religious but its still great to be in a nice peaceful environment (once you get away from the main Monastery with the tour bus visitors). 

Since then its been quite, very hot at home so not a lot going on, but we did get to see the fireworks on Saturday night for Alexandria VA's birthday celebration.  Alexandria skips fireworks on the 4th and does it for their birthday so we always have a makeup session when we blow off the hot and crowded DC fireworks.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 10:25:05 PM »

My grandmother was taken into palliative care on Sunday because she was having breathing issues.  She had vaginal cancer that has spread to her lungs (and possibly other places, but she refuses to have it checked).  We're told that she's doing better (she lives in Nova Scotia, and we're on Prince Edward Island), but they want to keep her there because she hasn't been able to get up into her wheelchair on her own.  We also think that they don't want her to go home by herself.  She's hardly ever alone, but I think they are afraid something will happen to her after everyone has left for the day.

We're going to visit this weekend, so we'll be able to see for ourselves what's going on, and how bad she is.  She never told Mom that she was getting worse.  Whenever Mom asked her how she was, she'd just say she was doing ok.  I'm a little afraid of the prospect of losing her.  She and my grandfather were like a second set of parents for me.  I always said that she was a tough old bird, and that she'd outlive the lot of us.  She's been through a lot.  She had a leg amputated in 2002 due to hardening of the arteries, and she had a bit of radiation for the vaginal cancer a few years ago.  We knew last Christmas that the cancer has spread to her lungs.  I was kinda hoping she'd stick around for one more Christmas, but with her in palliative care, now I'm not sure that's going to happen.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:35:29 PM by Riki » Logged

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 07:44:16 AM »

Oh, Riki!  I am so sorry!  It is difficult to watch someone you love go through that.  I am going through something similar with my grandfather.  He is in his 80's and has COPD, emphysema, end stage heart disease and a touch of dementia.  I am used to him chasing us around the house and telling stories about all the pranks he played when he was younger.  It is so hard to see him on oxygen and forgetful.  Even worse that he knows he is forgetful and is embarrassed so he never leaves his house.  He is just wasting away.  I am visiting all my grandparents (I still have all four!) next week.  It will be a hard but much needed visit, like yours.  I will keep you in my prayers.

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 02:24:28 PM »

My 107 year old Godmother passed last week.  I will carry her in my heart.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 02:28:45 AM »

Dear kitkatz, I am sorry for your loss and I am thinking of you.
We had over 30 degrees on many days, so it has been a very hot summer so far, which is a bit unusual for London ...
My husband had to endure another few "sessions" of chemotherapy and I am keeping my fingers crossed all the time. We have enjoyed each other's company for many years and hopefully our time together continues for many years to come and hopefully he does not need further chemotherapy-treatments and the cancer stays hopefully away!!! Strangely enough, his cancer was only diagnosed during his medical work-up, when he was determined to donate one of his kidneys to me and without the medical work-up the cancer would not have been diagnosed, because it is one of those very cruel "silent" killers, which only shows symptoms and is usually only diagnosed, when it is already too late for any treatment. We can't believe that we would not be together anymore, if it would not have been for his medical kidney-donation-work-up, during which the cancer was diagnosed just in time to be operated on and treated with chemotherapy ... The doctors are still "spooked" about it as well and they can hardly believe it and we are also still baffled by this incredible chance of luck ...  My own "health-sessions" have been going as well as can be and I have noticed, that by keeping strictly to my vegetarian diet and liquid-restrictions, it "pays", by supplying me with a little bit more energy and as a result of this, I am feeling a little better. My pianoforte-playing comes along as well and recently I could, for the very first time, sit on the pianoforte with a new score and play straight from the score. I was hoping for this for years and "working" on it as best as I possibly could ... Perhaps it helps a bit, that I am "sticking" to the (unfortunately) very strict rules of my d-treatment and that helps me in return to feel a little bit better and concentrate a little better...
Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 04:25:03 AM »

I finally got my tired bottom started to putting brakes on my boat trailer.  It is smoking hot outside and the humidity is high, making it feel about 10 degrees hotter than it actually is.  I parked the trailer on the North side of my barn so it is shaded at least a few hours every morning.  I have it jacked, blocked, removed the old wheel hubs and installed the brake plates.  By then I was already in full sun and melted.  Spent the rest of the day in the house drinking far too much ice water.  At my treatment I was shocked to find I weighted even LESS than when I left Friday!  Told you I melted.

Hopefully this morning I will get the seal lands polished.  By then it should be in the sun so I'll leave it until Thursday.  Get a little done at a time.  Maybe within a week or so I'll have it done.

I'm not in any real hurry.  Just need to make sure it is done RIGHT as I do not want to have to do any of it again soon.

4wheel disc brakes, it should stop when I need it too.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 07:28:59 AM »

Sounds like it's not been a very good summer so far for anyone. 

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 02:44:01 AM »

Seal lands polished, bearings packed with grease, new hubs with brake disc's installed. Hitch assy removed.  Thursday morning I will have to extend and reroute the wiring so the new tongue with the brake master cylinder will bolt into place.  Then start stringing brake lines. I had to call the Warranty Department as one of the calipers is slightly different and missing fittings.  They should be sending me another new one.

So this project will be delayed yet again a few more days.  Oh Well.  At least it is showing signs of progress.

I may yet get to take my boat fishing this year after all.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 07:17:30 PM »

My grandmother is doing better.  They've moved her out of palliative care and into long term care until they can find a bed for her in a nursing home.  They took her off the oxygen while we were there last Sunday, and she seemed to be eating a bit better too, though she never really ate the meals they sent her, just whatever soup came with it, the dessert (she inhaled the ice cream they sent her. *L*) and a bottle of Ensure.  We're going to take the next month of so ("we" being my mom and her brothers and sister, and probably a few of us cousins as well) to clean out her apartment.  She's already told us to take anything that we want.  She's also already given my mom and her siblings their inheritance.  It isn't much, just a bit that my grandparents saved after they sold their house.  My uncle told my mom that he felt bad cashing the check, because Gram was still alive.  Someone said to him, "Look *Uncle Porkchop,* she had a living will.  This is what she wanted."  He cashed the check.
*Uncle Porkchop is what my cousin's 5 year old calls him.  I'm not sure where it came from, but it stuck.

I also found out a couple of days ago that I'm ineligible for a student loan, so school is up in the air right now.  It kind of sucks cuz I've been working on going for about a year.  After all that work, I'd hate to not be able to go because of money.

My Atlanta trip still seems to be a go, though.  I've still got a couple of tests that need to be done, but tickets are books, hotel room is booked, passes to the convention have been acquired for both me and my best friend.  Media passes.  This is going to be fun.  The only things I really want to do outside the convention is the big ferris wheel and the Wafflehouse.. *L*

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
JW77

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 06:10:59 AM »

Its been busy, a actually summer  has only really just kicked in in the Midlands, UK.  Mostly been busy with the girl home training, a half hour trip to the unit and back 4 times a week for me, 3 for her.

In between that,  just domestic stuff.  Very little me or us time as we always seem to be rushing about trying to 'sort things' 

There have been some good snippets tho:) The garden considering we've only been here since March is coming on nicely, withs trees cleared and a shed base in place.
We've had some strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, some container grown new potatoes will hopefully be nice and tasty sometime in the future.

the plumbing for dialysis is in, and the machine is being fitted TODAY, as I type. With hopefully the first session of home dialysis with a Fres machine starting next month.

Creator of London Kidney Social: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LondonKidneySocial/

Medical stuff, includes 3 kidneys, cancer, meningitis, 1 heart attack and its long and not that interesting! Maybe one day I'll write a book.! `

I have an eclectic taste in music, I fly kites, I read, write, tog, blog and have a bit of a passion for multicellular eukaryotes, and kites.

Founder of Kites4Kidneys - Start making your kites for WKD 2015..
https://www.facebook.com/kites4kidneys
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 07:20:08 AM »

It has really been hot here lately, but not so bad that the steering wheel on the car is melted. I finally found a replacement for me on the Memorial Committee. What a relief!! As my back gets worse and so does my neuropathy. doing a memorial almost did me in, with excruciating pain, and I was wiped out for 3 days afterward. However, my one beefsteak tomato  is flourishing finally and I am standing by with bread and a jar of mayo, waiting for the precise moment. She is the most pampered tomato plant in the world.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 12:29:34 PM »

However, my one beefsteak tomato  is flourishing finally and I am standing by with bread and a jar of mayo, waiting for the precise moment.

This made me laugh more than it should.  I'm a visual thinker, so I'm picturing you standing, staring at the tomato, with bread knife in hand, just waiting for the perfect moment. *L*

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 09:07:15 PM »

However, my one beefsteak tomato  is flourishing finally and I am standing by with bread and a jar of mayo, waiting for the precise moment.

This made me laugh more than it should.  I'm a visual thinker, so I'm picturing you standing, staring at the tomato, with bread knife in hand, just waiting for the perfect moment. *L*

I'm picturing Jean with table set, bread knife in hand and red-checkered cloth napkin tucked in around the chin, drooling.   :rofl; Maybe Jean could do a commercial for Heinz ketchup.

retro-Heinz Ketchup "Anticipation" Commercial

https://youtu.be/WhLt62pPj4M

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 05:08:42 AM »

I grow some really NICE tomatos.

And now that I am on Hemo I'm not supposed to eat them!

Ain't nothing better than a thick slice of vine ripe tomato with Miracle Whip on Wheat toast.  Maybe a slice of sweet onion added.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 08:44:05 PM »

I grow some really NICE tomatos.

And now that I am on Hemo I'm not supposed to eat them!

Ain't nothing better than a thick slice of vine ripe tomato with Miracle Whip on Wheat toast.  Maybe a slice of sweet onion added.

Aww, go nuts.. a little taste won't hurt ya.. *G*  just make sure it's not the day before bloodwork, though...

As for me, I'm gearing up for my trip to Atlanta.  I leave Wednesday.  After a lot of brow beating, I FINALLY got everything finalized and figured out with the Davita unit in Atlanta, so all is a go.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to put off going back to school.  I'm having trouble finding funds.  I got turned down for a student loan, because I defaulted on a loan 15 years ago.  I'm actually kind of surprised it's still on record.  I went to the bank, looking for a line of credit, but they needed a guarantor (why, at the age of 40 I would need a guarantor, I've no idea), and since Mom was with me, I used her, but her credit isn't that great.  The banker said that I could try again with another guarantor, so as soon as I can pin down my dad, I'm going to ask him.  We'll see how it goes.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 07:00:25 AM »

Once upon a time a person could 'build' a credit rating if they were willing to pay interest on a  loan and invest some time.  Take out a personal loan from your local bank or credit union.  Put that money away in another savings account so that every month you can use some of it to make the required payment.  6 or 8 months later pay off the loan.  Next month start another one.

Your credit report will show loan payments always made on time, and also show early pay offs. 
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 08:45:18 AM »

I got turned down for a student loan, because I defaulted on a loan 15 years ago.  I'm actually kind of surprised it's still on record.
Am I correct in remembering you are in Canada, eh?

Here in the US adverse info stays on a credit report for 7 years (I think bankruptcies are for 10).  This is why if you are near the time limit on an old dept it is critical to do NOTHING to reaffirm the debt.  Even making a token payment of $5 or saying something like "I agree to pay" can reset that 7 year clock.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 10:24:33 AM »

Hope you have a great time on your vacay, Riki! I'm jealous. I'd love to see Atlanta...a lot of historical stuff to see. Sorry to hear about your school funds. Go on vacation, have a good time, you deserve it and then come home and rethink your school plans. Meanwhile, party it up!  :beer1;

smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 02:23:23 PM »

So my seventh anniversary with my hubby was last week.  We wanted to celebrate this past weekend, but we were both way too tired.  Thinking of plans for this weekend instead.  Biltmore House maybe?  Just a dinner and movie?  We will figure it out!

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »