I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:29:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  questions of c-deff and mrsa
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: questions of c-deff and mrsa  (Read 4292 times)
babycake

« on: July 01, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »

i was just resently  in the hospitol
and was in for a week
i had a temp of 102 and the chils
i knew  i had another bactral infction
this time i have both mrsa and  the c :cuddle; deff infection again

there is several questions i need to know
according to what :the nurse told my dad and i   was told  by my sister
from the nurse
which doesnt make sense for i was never told this
im not allowed near elderly people or even small chlldren
and while i was in the hospitol
my doc back up was asking me about who my advocate
and do i want  them to use cpr.. and the whole course
sounds like he was trying to say im a goner
well geeze a nice way to put it
im not ready to go
im fighting to see my grandkids get married
and make accomplishments
and every sense my daughter was little
i have stated im going to live untill im 64yrs old
hey thats 10yrs from now
you never know i can live longer
with all this crap

EDITED: Moved to other medical issues -kitkatz,Admin
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:49:09 PM by kitkatz » Logged
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 09:08:52 PM »

C. diff is (clostiridum diifficile) can be a side effect of certain antibiotics, and is very contagious.  I am not surprised by the no-contact instructions.

The upside is is a c. diff diagnosis (and often just a c. diff history) gets you a private room when you are in the hospital.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 03:31:34 AM »

Hi babycake I hope you are feeling a bit better now. As far as I know with Cdif you are not allowed near kids, immune compromised people, elderly etc because it is incredibly contagious as Simon said.
I've grown up being asked if I want CPR since I was 18. I'm 52 now so I don't think just being asked if you want CPR actually means your end is nigh.

So don't worry about that, and get yourself to at least 64 girl.

Lots of love, luck and strength, Cas
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:47:59 AM by cassandra » Logged

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 03:34:26 AM »

One of our members (AngiePKD) had C. dff.  and cured it using a fecal implant. You can do a search of the forum.  Sorry you are infected with both as they are both awful.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 06:44:14 AM »

One of our members (AngiePKD) had C. dff.  and cured it using a fecal implant. You can do a search of the forum.  Sorry you are infected with both as they are both awful.
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=33692.0

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 07:32:47 AM »

C-Diff AGAIN?

How long ago was the last round of C-Diff?  I'd certainly be wanting to figure out how this came about again as although it is very difficult, it can be done, and I would be making awful sure that I was not exposing myself to it again.

There is a whole LOT of ongoing research into intestinal bacteria, there are far more benefits from most bacteria than the terrible sickness cause by what we are labeling the 'bad' bacteria.

Having the right colonies of 'Good' bacteria we are finding out is critical to maintaining health.  We are still yet a long way from that magic 'pill' that will cure most all that ails us, but great progress has already been made in fecal studies.

Google fecal transplant and begin reading.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 08:54:56 AM »

I hear that it is much easier to find a fecal transplant donor than a kidney donor.  :waving;
babycake

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 03:48:59 PM »

i have a friend that is also my part time caregiver
she works with another health care facility
and she had a client years ago that had repeat of c-deff
so it can be on going

it started in September 2016
april 2017
and again in june

they suggest for you to use clorx wipes each  time
u use the restroom
thats not a problem

my mom didnt belive i was using them
and had stated oh all i have to do is count how many is left
oh geeze
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 05:23:06 AM »

I don't doubt that one day it will be proven that there are some people that are carriers without symptoms.

Using the Clorox wipes afterwards may be too late as  you may be exposed to the bacteria left from another person.  Then Bingo!  You got it again.

Cleaning the seat and sink faucet handles, door knob, etc., BEFORE each use, as well as afterwards, and your hands, may become a standard ritual for many people that are sensitive to the infection.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 04:08:43 PM »

Seems like I need to take heed of my own advise.

I had a few scratches on my arm from mowing too near a dead tree branch.  One spot became infected.  So my Dr gets all excited and prescribes a round of ciprio.  I've had diarrhea ever since. 2 months already. Wife recently developed diarrhea and is in the hospital for another reason.  And also prescribed Ciprio.

Her stools and mine are very near the same consistency and stink the same.

She was tested TWICE for C-Diff while in the hospital.  Both came back Negative.

I had a VA Dr appt today.  Half way home Dr calls me and tells me I have C-Diff and that it is a sometimes side effect of Ciprio.  VA will be sending me a large bottle of Vanc.  Must be oral in order to get the drug into the intestines.  We had just talked about never giving me orals again as I do not like how antibiotics cause diarrhea in me so bad.

I called Wife's Nursing Home and was told to stay home, do not visit until long after I have been on the AB.  My Clinic wasn't open this late, will call them very early a.m. to let them know and reserve the isolation room.

So I guess I get to sanitize the whole house.

And I need to call the Vet as Dog has been into the dirty laundry.  I've rinsed everything as I needed, but it wasn't washed with detergent or antibacterial soap.  I may have to have him tested and treated also.

I've never 'felt' sick.  Just a runny butt.

Ain't this a crock?
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 01:32:19 PM »

I've racked my brain wondering just where I picked up this bug as I don't get out in public much.  I do NOT touch people, and virtually no one touches me other than medical staff.

On a whim I Googled "C-Diff in Dogs" as ours has gotten into my dirty laundry.  I've had 'accidents'.  Sure I rinse everything out well but it is nowhere near sterile until it goes through the laundry so I am concerned that he may develope this bug also.

What I learned is some dogs CAN CARRY this bug, have a resident small colony but not have any symptoms unless or until the colony blooms and overwhelms the system.

It may be possible that I got this from my dog.

So I went and had a little talk with our Vet.  He agrees, and prescribed a round of treatment for our Dog, just to stay safe.  So Bones puppy gets a pill a day until the bottle runs out.

I get a teaspoon of Vanc solution four times a day for ten days.   Hope it gets the job done on the first round.

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 11:59:15 PM »

To avoid problems my husband eats Activia Lactose-Free Yogurt anytime he has to be on antibiotics. And he keeps eating the yogurt til he's finished the antibiotics, sometimes for a few days longer. His doc recommended this and it works. He likes the dark cherry flavor.

Sorry to hear your wife is in a nursing home. Hopefully it is just temporary. -sending prayers and strength your way-

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »