I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:24:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  So what would you do
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So what would you do  (Read 56468 times)
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #225 on: June 12, 2019, 08:56:23 AM »

Hi all, I stayed last week in hosp for intra venous antibiotics, and some more tests (the now pretty big wound on old fistula arm had become infected, and grew some more in size) As soon as the cannula was out of my leg (only reasonable vein) I went home. They (intervention radiologist, and vascular surgeon (super surgeon  :laugh: ) don't know how to proceed as they'd overlooked my central stenosis. I actually had forgotten about that too, as : I just didn't want to know, and I expected it to be in my file (fair enough there's a lot of files with my name on it, and they're spread over quite a few hospitals)

Today I heard in clinic that the planned surgery this Friday is not going ahead. They want to think over, and discuss the situation a bit more. And do some more scans etc.

However in the mean time I've lost so much weight (not good really) and with the 3 or 4 hrs I could remove more fluids, so my old arm is slightly more usable so I reckon I can start dialyzing at home again next week  ;D

Love y'all, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #226 on: June 13, 2019, 08:03:59 PM »

I see you're still going through the wars.  Ugh.  Good grief!

I'm glad to hear, though, that you may be able to start D at home again soon.  There's that silver lining.

:cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2019, 11:26:12 AM »

Thanx MM , I agree with that. I also started using manuka honey on the wound, and the neph actually agreed (because he doesn’t know what else to do I suppose)

:boxing;

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #228 on: June 14, 2019, 11:42:49 PM »

Sorry to hear about your recent hospital stay, Cas. Hope you are feeling better being at home. I haven't used Manuka Honey before so personally do not know if it works but if it helps (and not hurt or makes things worse) then I'd be all for it. Especially if it is the medical-grade kind. Guess it has to be special ordered. I'd also be cautious about any Hydrogen Peroxide in it -hubby's Endocrinologist said HP can kill skin cells. Anyway, I could see how Manuka Honey could help heal wounds. I was recently interested in it because of a wound from cellulitis still weeping. I might bring up the honey with my doctor. I use to have an old friend of the family that was 100% Lakota Indian. He was a Marine Biologist and my former track coach. A wise old man that respected modern medicine and mother earth. He passed many years ago but if he was still around I'd surely be asking him these days about Manuka Honey and other natural salves used to treat wounds. Please let us know how it goes for you. I imagine it doesn't burn or sting but I am concerned about the allergy part because I do have an allergy to bees. Good luck with the new fistula and heal as best as you can. Picture yourself healing and then go for it. Take care!  :cuddle;

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #229 on: June 15, 2019, 07:54:51 AM »

I used manuka honey for a wound several years ago.  Turns out I was allergic to the honey so had to stop.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #230 on: July 13, 2019, 02:25:44 PM »

Thanx my friends for all your well wishes and warnings. The wound looks a bit better and hurts a bit less too, so I will continue with both. I alternate the honey with silver dressings.

After my latest appointment with the transplant/vascular/Super Surgeon I left slightly confused. Apparently my very swollen old’e fistula arm cannot be closed off until the central stenosis has been ‘resolved’.

In’98 when it was first noticed there was no possibility to operate on it without causing another stenosis by the scarring of that operation. The then vasc.surgen agreed that that would be a pointless exercise. So I forgot about it, and so did everybody else. But Supersurgeon says that it’s this very Central Stenosis that’s causing the swelling in the old’e fistula arm, and will cause problems in the new fistula at some point.

So he has spoken with some intervention radiologist in London who will have a look at my next CT scans from my whole upper body as he’s “very interested” in opening that stenosis with intervention radiology.

So I feel: fad up with all the procedures still coming up, grateful that SuperSurgeon discussed ‘my’ case with ‘other Learned Ones’ . And incredibly tired.

And on the other bright side I can needle myself again as I lost 15 kilo’s (with the lactose/milk intolerans s...t) so my arm is less swollen so I can bent it enough to stick the needles in my new fistula. It does mean that I’m now officially underweight. I had to buy new bra’s and knickers which would normally make me happy, but operations or procedures and being underweight is not a good combo.

Thanx for reading, love y’all  ;D

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 02:28:56 PM by cassandra » Logged

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #231 on: July 13, 2019, 04:49:48 PM »

Cassandra, you are such a warrior (though I don't like that word) and have strength that put so many to shame. Sending all the best wishes I can muster for the future!  :flower;
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #232 on: July 13, 2019, 05:04:35 PM »

I'm sorry things are so hard right now.  I hope you have clear sailing soon.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #233 on: July 13, 2019, 06:08:12 PM »

I hope they can look at your CT scans and let you know the game plan soon. It's the waiting and fear of the unknown that can sometimes cause us the most anxiety. Glad you are able to needle yourself again. You can look at that as success and one that you can now control. Every little bit helps! Believe me! I also think the manuko honey and silver dressings are a good idea (again, think self-empowerment). Any little strength and success we have along the way makes us stronger and aids in recovery. Of course, you already know this. I just want to cheer you along and say "keep up the good work, girl!"

:cheer:

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #234 on: July 13, 2019, 08:23:02 PM »

Hi cassandra, just wanted to say hello!! ... take care   thanks ---

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #235 on: July 14, 2019, 01:24:37 PM »

So NOT a good reason for some retail therapy, cass!  I'm glad you've been able to find a few silver linings, though.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #236 on: July 15, 2019, 11:06:43 AM »

Thanx for the well wishes dear friend

:cheer:    :cuddle;

Love y’all, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2020, 03:23:10 PM »

Well what a long 6 months ago with an up-date. In that time I had some plasties on the new fistula, and SuperSurgeon ‘found’ a radiologist from London who was prepared to try a ‘semi closure on my olde fistula to reduce the hypertension (which caused the enormous swelling) It worked. He used some ‘plugs’ to reduce the flow from the fistula. He placed them in and around the anastemosis (connection between the vein and artery. It went well.

After 2 months my arm was nearly normal,  that olde fistula still works, but feels like a ‘normal’ fistula. The wound has healed completely!!! It’s still black though, but I can use it nearly as a normal arm. Still using the new fistula (which still lives on a planet of its own (as in: most days I can get the needles in, but no 2 days can I stick the venous needle in the same direction, or debt or within an hour) nothing to do with how I hold my arm, or with or without a tourniquet) just different each time.

But I’m so happy, so glad I can use my arm again, wear clothes in my size in stead of 3 sizes larger to fit my arm in. Glad I kept all my ‘redundant’ clothes too. Maybe next week I’ll give embroidery a go, maybe knitting some months later.

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2020, 03:40:52 PM »

So very glad to hear this, Cassandra! Always a good day when someone has won a battle but especially good when it is you. You hung in there and now it's better for you. We can all use the positive inspiration you share with us, thank you! I wish you continued "wins" for the new year!   

jambo101

« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2020, 04:35:26 PM »

how about switching from fistula to perma cath?

Jim
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #240 on: January 11, 2020, 08:22:18 PM »

Oh man, what a story!   SuperSurgeon came through for you again by finding SuperRadiologist!

I can't imagine having to wear clothes so many sizes bigger just because of your arm.  That must have been incredibly annoying.

I'm very happy that things are approaching "normal" for you.  You deserve a boring life for a while!

cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #241 on: January 11, 2020, 11:05:31 PM »

Thanx my friends  :cuddle;

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #242 on: January 11, 2020, 11:23:10 PM »

Oh man, what a story!   SuperSurgeon came through for you again by finding SuperRadiologist!

I can't imagine having to wear clothes so many sizes bigger just because of your arm.  That must have been incredibly annoying.

I'm very happy that things are approaching "normal" for you.  You deserve a boring life for a while!

That's what I tell people....a boring life would be good. Real good. Just some peace and quiet. They don't get it.   

enginist

« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2020, 05:33:22 PM »

I had sepsis then.

A nasty illness that I've seen mentioned only once or twice on this site.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #244 on: January 13, 2020, 01:19:36 PM »

PrimeTimer, boredom is underrated!  LOL! 

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2020, 01:43:43 PM »

I had sepsis then.

A nasty illness that I've seen mentioned only once or twice on this site.

Both of my parents died of sepsis.  It was truly dreadful, horrible.  My father died quickly, but my mother hung on for two terrifying weeks.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2020, 03:18:30 PM »

But I’m so happy, so glad I can use my arm again, wear clothes in my size in stead of 3 sizes larger to fit my arm in. Glad I kept all my ‘redundant’ clothes too. Maybe next week I’ll give embroidery a go, maybe knitting some months later.

I'll be very interested to hear when you get back to these activities.  When your arm was is such bad shape, could you not embroider simply because of the swelling, or did it just hurt?

cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2020, 04:11:07 PM »

I'll be very interested to hear when you get back to these activities.  When your arm was is such bad shape, could you not embroider simply because of the swelling, or did it just hurt?

My arm was so swollen that I couldn’t bend it, and the open wound in the nape just made bending that arm impossible. Of course I’ll keep you informed  :angel;

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2020, 12:28:59 PM »

Glad things are on the upswing for you Cassandra.   :flower; :flower; :flower;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2020, 01:55:41 PM »

My arm was so swollen that I couldn’t bend it, and the open wound in the nape just made bending that arm impossible. Of course I’ll keep you informed  :angel;

That sounds really unbelievable.  It must have made everyday chores almost impossible.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »