I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:53:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Political Debates - Thick Skin Required for Entry
| | |-+  What can we agree on?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What can we agree on?  (Read 9394 times)
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 06:00:00 AM »

There is evidence to the effect that washing a cat will reduce the dander it's coat contain.  This reduces the the allergic reaction from those around them.  What I want to know is how the people survive putting a cat in water.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 06:05:58 AM »

What I want to know is how the people survive putting a cat in water.
Reminds me  of that news article of the people mauled by a pit bull ... because they were trying to put a sweater on it.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 06:37:41 AM »

Growing up, my family had a miniature schnauzer named Willie.  Willie used to get the paper every morning!  The weekday ones he never had a problem carrying, but the Sunday paper he dragged down the driveway and would have to take breaks because it was so heavy!  Cracked me up every time. 

I have a rescue dog now, standard poodle collie mix.  She is beautiful, but does not know how to play with toys as she was never taught.  Her favorite thing to do is bark at my husband.  He barks back and they converse in their own special way!  It is adorable.  She wags her tail and growls playfully every time!  Easily her favorite part of the day!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 08:59:33 AM »

I have a Mini Schnauzer named Albert - wonderful dog, as well as a Westie names Simon (I love him too, though he is not as friendly and I was never able to off-leash train him).
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 10:08:13 AM »

Willie was wonderful, as well.  He lived to age 14 but had a lot of health problems due to breeding.  He was bred to be a show dog, but didn't meet all the physical qualifications.  He ended up with diabetes and cushing's disease (sp?).  He has passed now, but even the vet staff loved him.  They named him Sir William and they let him hang out in the office when he was boarded instead of his kennel.

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2017, 01:31:38 PM »

Someday I want an "American Gentleman" and I'm not talking about replacing my husband. They have a temperament described as being lively, friendly and intelligent. Oh wait...

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
DayaraLee

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2017, 04:54:17 PM »

We've had two miniature schnauzers - Bryna and Cory - and each took a big piece of my heart with them when they passed. They were both so loving and smart. And of course, stubborn and super active as terriers usually are. We have a border terrier now who will no doubt tear out another huge chunk of me when his time comes. Named him Toshiro, Toshi for short, which is supposed to mean lively and intelligent in Japanese.

The other name option was Farquart. Yes. Farquart.  :waiting;  My husband has a really weird sense of humor sometimes, and he obviously wanted "Toshiro" to have no competition.

I'm definitely a terrier person, and I can't imagine my life without a furry best friend beside me!
 :2thumbsup;

Husband Dx - CKD Stage 3, Diabetes Type II, Hypertensive, Stubborn...

"What is love? Love is the absence of judgment."  ~Dalai Lama
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2017, 09:00:44 PM »

I washed kittens once. Momma Cat was standing against the tub watching, at one point actually put her teeth against my arm as if to tell me that she would chew my arm right off if she thought I was hurting her babies.

They had fleas, I had to do something!

The rainy season in Seattle was about to break loose and I had gone out in the berry patch in the woods and picked up her babies and brought them in the house so they could have a real home with people.

We found homes for those kittens and kept Momma Cat almost 14 years until she passed.  She was semiferal, came around our porch so I started putting out cat food.  She was obviously pregnant.  She quit coming around for  over a week.  I figured she had the kittens.  Sure enough, she started showing up to eat then immediately headed straight off into the woods. A week later I had to do somoething, I couldn't leave those babies out in the wild.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 06:41:40 AM »

I have never had cats, but I have had a horse that loved cats!  He was a quarter horse named Sam.  Sam would chase them into an old tired that we used to put the feed bowls in so the horses couldn't dump out their feed.  Once the cat was in the tire, he would lick them all over.  One day, he was tied in the barn while a friend of mine groomed him.  He picked up a cat by the tail and swung him around!  The cats didn't come to Sam for lickings after that...

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »