I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:40:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Sleep Apnea
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sleep Apnea  (Read 6218 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: January 25, 2017, 08:01:06 PM »

I guess I have sleep apnea.  I did the sleep study and stopped breathing 25 times in an hour.  Is this the newest scam.  Everyone has sleep apnea?  Then they can bill Medicare and my insurance thousands?  The machine is a BiPAP not a CPAP.  I am not liking it.

I know I don't have to do this.  I'm already on a machine to live and now I need one to sleep? 

The doctor said I could die in my sleep if I don't use it.  Hallelujah  I'm sure that scares most people.  Not me.  Isn't that the best way to go?

Anyone  else on a CPAP Machine or a BiPAP?  What mask do you use?

solid98

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 08:01:41 AM »

I guess I have sleep apnea.  I did the sleep study and stopped breathing 25 times in an hour.  Is this the newest scam.  Everyone has sleep apnea?  Then they can bill Medicare and my insurance thousands?

:rant;

I'm not on a CPAP but it is a HUGE scam in the trucking industry. Trouble sleeping? Slap on a CPAP. Snore? CPAP. Sinus problems? CPAP. Burns when you pee? CPAP!!!! They actually wire it into the trucks communication system so the truck managers can see if you used your machine and for how long. If it doesn't show 8 hours of use, they will come over the satellite and tell you to pull over until it shows adequate use. It only covers the company since ANY accident is always automatically blamed on the driver not getting enough sleep. Last job I drove back in 2007, they were talking about requiring it for ALL drivers regardless of need. :urcrazy;

CPAP masks remind me of this Luvs commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbUs0jeQATk

The husband at the end with the mask on just kills me. :rofl;
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:05:39 AM »

I have a CPAP machine.  I've been on the machine since 2004. 

To put it bluntly, it changed my life.  I was a terrible snorer and I was chronically exhausted.  I did my sleep study and it showed I was waking up 90 times an hour.  No wonder I never felt like I got any rest.

I have a fancy app on my phone that shows how many times I wake up an hour now....it is down to less than one per hour.  I don't nap any more unless I feel like it, which is rare and only when I am under the weather for another reason.

DH has been on the CPAP for almost as many years.  He dropped 20 lbs quickly after being on the machine and was able to get off two blood pressure meds. 

DH uses the full face mask and I use the nasal mask.  I tried the nasal pillows and hated them.

There are many masks on the market.  Demand that your DME provider work with you until you can find a mask you can tolerate.  We have a white noise machine that drowns out the sounds of the CPAP machines, it helps a lot if you are sound-sensitive when you sleep.

I can't recommend CPAP/BiPAP therapy enough for those that need it.  The key is to stick with it until you can find the mask that works for you. 
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 03:44:20 PM »

I know I snore.  Wife won't even attempt to sleep in the same room, says the worse part is waking up and finding me NOT breathing, thinking I am dead, then I gasp for air again and start snoring.

I had my Sleep Study done In-Clinic in 2002.  Half through the night the Nurse woke me up and had me put on the mask.  I woke up a few times fighting with the mask until I woke full enough to realize what and where I was. Immediately went back to sleep.

I the morning the Nurse showed me parts of my EEG.  The brain waves clearly excited until I began to fall asleep then they slowly settled down like wakes slowing on a pond.  Then a snore recorded on the microphone clearly showed the brain waves looking like a huge rock had been dropped in that pond.  Immediate huge spikes which continued activity for a while before finally slowing again into slep.  Finally almost straight line, the respiration chest things stopped, the O2 sensor on the finger began falling.  Huge gasp for air, Brain waves spiked again taking even longer before settling down into sleep.  Both of these were repeatedly occurring during my so called 'sleep'.

Nurse fast forwarded to after my putting the mask on.  Brain waves slowed, settled.  The motion sensors next to my eyes began showing my eye rolls.  Since this was a new line that had previously never moved I had to ask the Nurse what that was.  And was told that is proof that you finally entered REM sleep.  Dreamland, finally.  The condition of sleep where the body actually gets rest and corrective healing can occur.

It made such an impression on me that I will not take an afternoon nap without using my CPAP.   I have worn out TWO machines already.  The Sleep Clinic is amazed as most people won't bother to use theirs.

I usually wear a nasal pillow however sometimes it causes an irritated spot on the inside edge of one nostril then I switch to the mask for a week or so.  Both work well.  The pillow is easier for me to put on and off.

If you still feel tired upon awaking every morning you may be a candidate. 

If you have those periods of afternoon exhaustion at work, you may be a candidate.

Don't kid yourself, proper sleep is VERY necessary to Health.

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 05:33:28 PM »

Have apnea, had cpap, in the last 6 years dropped 80 pounds, sounds impressive but I go at least another 80 to go.  Raised the head of my bed, first with pillows then with a new box spring from amazon that manually lifts up like a hospital bed. 
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 10:17:56 AM »

I guess my husband is "lucky". After he started dialysis and lost a little weight and sleeps on two pillows his sleep apnea greatly improved. Hardly ever gets it anymore.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 10:24:04 AM »

I have a CPAP and a full face mask. I hate it. Another machine to keep me alive. Having said that I must admit it makes a difference in how rested I feel. I also was stopping breathing almost 60 times an hour.

I know of only ONE person who went for the test and was told he did not need it.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 12:58:22 PM »

I received a call yesterday, and she announced she was "My Dream Coach"   LOL 

I've done better the last couple of nights.  It is still so unnatural to have this claw on my head.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 04:30:29 PM »

Rerun, I had no idea how bothersome and dangerous sleep apnea can be.  I'm sorry you're having to go through this, and I hope your dream coach and your headclaw work well for you.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
tigtink

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 06:15:29 PM »

Rerun, I hope you are able to tough it out. Six years ago I was told the same thing and was lucky enough to get put on a an APAP instead of just the CPAP. It has made a huge difference in my life. I cannot emphasize enough how dangerous sleep apnea is, especially for people with kidney problems. I hated the machine for the first month and felt horrible, even worse than I did without it, but after the first month it gave me my life back. Now I won't even take a nap without it. It goes everywhere I go if I know I will be sleeping. I went from walking around in a daze and barely able to function to living a basically normal life with regular exercise. I think I would have ended up hospitalized if I had not gotten the machine when I did.

The only scam is when the equipment supply companies try to make you take an straight CPAP when you need an APAP or Bi-Pap. It costs Medicare the exact same price but the supply companies make more profit on the cheaper machines so they try to tell people they can't have them. I use a nasal mask and have done well with it. If you are a mouth breather you might need a full mask. They should be able to tell from your sleep study. Good luck!!
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 08:54:34 PM »

Have been cPAP and BIPAP.  NOW SUPPOSED TO TRY AUTOPAP.  THE FIRST TWO CAUSE ME TO WAKE UP IN A PANIC.  NOT AFRAID OFfdying in my sleep, but rather having adense stroke or heartattack.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 08:57:59 PM »

Lordy, how many PAPs are there?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 10:00:06 AM »

I woke up last night because the machine stopped working.  I blew a breaker.  That scared me.

smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »

My mom is supposed to sleep with a CPAP.  She won't use it.  She said that she feels unattractive and that no matter what mask they used, the air blew in her face.  The doctor keeps telling her she will have a stroke from not using it and she is tired a lot, but she gets no sleep with it. 

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »

My CPAP cord runs along the wall behind my dog's bed (tight quarters).  He's unplugged it more than once.  He forgets who feeds him.   ::)

I woke up last night because the machine stopped working.  I blew a breaker.  That scared me.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 01:48:49 PM »

There are many different styles of masks and nasal units.  People need to try them to find out which one suits them the best.  There will be a certain period of adjustment, getting used to it.  Afterwards once sleeping properly you will begin to feel the improvement.

I really don't know the difference in the different type of PAP units.  I have only used my current CPAP since day One.  I have become adjusted to that and it works just fine.  If Dr was to switch me I am sure I would adjust to whatever one is prescribed because I know how much difference it makes in my sleep quality.  I need that sleep.

Power outages wake me up every time.  I am fortunate our local utility has spend lots of time trimming trees improving their lines to prevent many of the outages we used to have.  Cords, wiring and breakers need to be checked, improved if needed.
babycake

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »

I guess I have sleep apnea.  I did the sleep study and stopped breathing 25 times in an hour.  Is this the newest scam.  Everyone has sleep apnea?  Then they can bill Medicare and my insurance thousands?  The machine is a BiPAP not a CPAP.  I am not liking it.

I know I don't have to do this.  I'm already on a machine to live and now I need one to sleep? 

The doctor said I could die in my sleep if I don't use it.  Hallelujah  I'm sure that scares most people.  Not me.  Isn't that the best way to go?

Anyone  else on a CPAP Machine or a BiPAP?  What mask do you use?

its not a scam
i stop breathing approx 38x
and sleep apena is very much hereditary
and if its not treated
u can have a heart attack or even
a stroke
my dad had both
he also has sleep apmia
and yes if you dont use it
u could die
back in april 2017 i didnt wear my mask
for 2weeks i got sick and the doc told
 my older sister if i would had waited one more day
i could had died
i was being stupid now im using it
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 12:09:03 PM »

Ya, I've been on it about a year and I can finally SLEEP!

:thumbup;

babycake

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 09:50:50 PM »

Ya, I've been on it about a year and I can finally SLEEP!

:thumbup;

i was having issue
for 2yrs  where i would have
to sit up and sleep
 for i couldnt get comfortable
and  have to have my fan or a/c on
and even in the hospital
it feels  good  to sleep
instead of feeling
all the stress
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »