I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:53:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Beverages while on HD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beverages while on HD  (Read 5067 times)
thevijaysingh

« on: January 11, 2017, 07:33:23 PM »

I have been on in-center HD for 8 months now. Ever since my dialysis started and the fluid restrictions were implemented, I have been a lot more thirstier than I used to be earlier and only the thoughts of water and beverages cloud my imagination for the better part of my day.

The doctor/s told me that all the liquid/s combined (water, milk/curries) should not exceed 800 ml a day. As per the doctor the weight gain between two sessions shohttp://ihatedialysis.com/forum/Smileys/classic/banghead.gifuld not exceed 2 kg. I started off in April and since that is when it is scorching hot here in India, my efforts of limiting liquids did not yield much result and I used to have weight gains of 4 - 4 1/2 kgs between two sessions. The technicians at the center used to counsel and advise me on limiting the fluids.

As per them the higher the UF goal in a session, higher are the chances of passing out due to hypotension / low blood sugar and various other complications as the dialysis machine separates water from the blood and is very taxing on the heart.

I have tried numerous ways of trying to stay hydrated while being within the fluid restriction but apparently have not been too successful with them.

I am not sure whether is for the good or otherwise, I have developed of liking for ice for some time now and prefer eating cubes / Popsicle instead  of drinking water but even that is not really helping as I still feel I am not quenched and the yearn for ice cold water / beverage is always on my mind.

I have read it here and online that colorless codas -sprite and 7up may be fine(not a big fan of the black ones anyway) but I am more of a Fanta (orange) guy myself. Sometimes ice cold water just doesnt cut it for me and I need that carbonation. Please suggest what are the alternatives and how can I add a beverage other than ice cold water to my routine which can replace the off the shelf aerated drinks as I believe they have a lot more sugar and other bad stuff as compared to something I can concoct at home myself.

Sorry for re-posting this here(also posted in Off-topic) and later realized this could qualify to be a part of the diet section. Apologies for any inconvenience the re-posting may have caused.   :banghead;

Regards,
Vijay Singh
+91 8130833005
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 06:14:20 AM »

One thought is to look at your foods and make sure you are not consuming things that will dehydrate you more (and drive you to drink more) - for example make sure you cut down on the salt in foods.

Here are some ideas of foods to avoid, however it appears a lot of these lead to dehydration due to causing you to pee, I don't know how that affects people who don't pee:
http://www.chopra.com/articles/6-foods-that-can-dehydrate-you
Coffee (and tea)
Alcohol
Asparagus (parsley, celery, and artichokes)
High-Protein Intake
Salty Foods
Sugary Drinks

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 07:13:29 AM »

How about plain seltzer water?  It's carbonated and refreshing and not sweet.  It DOES add to the overall fluid intake, however.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
LorinnPKD

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 01:04:18 PM »

but I am more of a Fanta (orange) guy myself.

Fanta has phosphorus, so watch out for that one!

If you like orange sodas, you could do Orange Crush.  Or Sunkist.  Those are fine.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 01:24:23 PM »

Once in a great while as a treat my husband will have diet Ginger Ale. He otherwise avoids sugary drinks. Not just because he's diabetic but because sugary drinks actually make you thirsty. For him, it's all about sucking on ice cubes. He also likes frozen grapes and frozen blue berries but has to watch his sugar.

http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/sweet-thirst/   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 06:27:35 AM »

Another thought does it make sense to try to address the heat via AC?  i.e. is it a medical necessity to spend more of your day in air conditioning to try to decrease the desire to over drink to cool down?

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:04:45 AM »

Hard candies and gum may help, as well! 

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 09:18:19 PM »

Has anyone asked if you are Diabetic?  Have you been tested?  Do you know what your Blood Sugar is?

<amy of us are Diabetic.  High sugars will drive thirst.  Getting and keeping our sugar under control is critical to reducing thirst.
thevijaysingh

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 05:16:53 PM »

Has anyone asked if you are Diabetic?  Have you been tested?  Do you know what your Blood Sugar is?

<amy of us are Diabetic.  High sugars will drive thirst.  Getting and keeping our sugar under control is critical to reducing thirst.

I am not diabetic. The kidneys shrunk due to high blood pressure. will check the sugar level this time around when it is time for the monthly lab tests but I am sure it is not a problem, never has been..

Regards,
Vijay Singh
+91 8130833005
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »