I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:58:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Protein Powder
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Protein Powder  (Read 4000 times)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« on: January 07, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »

Since I have changed to Hemo from PD, my new Dietician wants my what was previously fine protein level even higher.  So I bought a big plastic jar of protein powder.

There were a number of these on the shelf at WalMart and I took the time to look at labels.

Some only had the FDA required information, some had much more detailed listings.  Of course I looked at the more detailed.  I noticed that most ALL of the flavord types had more phosphorus and potassium than the plain Vanilla.  There was a Vanilla Cream, but even that had more Phos and Pot.  So of course I bought the plain Vanilla.  I did not see any simple plain with NO flavoring at all.  It may be even less Phos and Pot then this Vanilla.

Yesterday at home I 'tasted' a small amount on a spoon, dry.  That was a mistake.  It instantly sucked up every bit of moisture in my mouth.   This could be used, recorded and olayed on YouTube, sort of like kids did with cinnamon.

Reading yesterday while in the chair I saw somewhere mention of adding protein powder to coffee.  I had thought of that but hadn't tried it, worried I might ruin my only cup of coffe I have every morning.  I'm such a cheap SOB.

Today I got bold and added a heaping spoon to my coffee.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It took a bit of swishing around to finally desole but it did, and it isn't like grazy.  It's still coffe and looks just a bit as though powdered creamer has been added.   And the taste is O.K. Just a bit of Vanilla.

Wife has often bought me small containers of Instant Flavored Coffee/Expresso.  I use a spoon added to my coffee for a bit of flavor.  This protein works much like that only without the added instant coffee.

All in all I will use a bit of this every day.  It may not be enough to bring up my protein levels but it is a start.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »

It's also quite doable when you stir it into a tiny home made milkshake (as in 2 spoons icecream 1 spoon powder, and stir till dissolved

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 11:28:18 AM »

I realize that both of these foods are no nos for phosphorus (and calcium) but a scoop of protein powder is quite acceptable mixed in with a small amount of greek yogurt and alternatively, peanut butter.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 05:03:16 PM »

Thing is I have been skipping most ALL the other liquids.

I like milk, ice cream, yogurt, but they are are fluids so I have been afraid to indulge in any of them.

I still have some residual kidney function.  Not much being near 4% but that little bit has made a huge impact on my phosphorus remaining within the 3's.  I am fearful of gaining too much water and of cardiac stunning also stunning my kidneys then causing me to lose that little bit of residual function.

I think I need to go look on the shelf again as see if I can find a NON-flavored powder that I can add to  the little bit of liquid I do ingest.

I do go ahead and drink the juice from heated/cooked veggies, roast, etc.  The vanilla flavored I don't think would be good in those.  Plain, maybe.

I still got LOTS to learn.
trenton6013

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 10:07:23 PM »

I put a spoonful in my cream of wheat and it works that way too.  My protein powder is vanilla flavored
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 06:00:24 AM »

I like many of the hot cereals but mostly only in the colder weather.  It is getting that time of year.  I may have to make a trip to the store again but will wait for this ice to melt in another day or so.  Don't need to slip and slide all the way there and back.  Not worth wrecking my truck, again, on this ice.  I can wait.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »