I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:49:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  I hope I have this introduction format right :)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I hope I have this introduction format right :)  (Read 2444 times)
SKS

I'm the caregiver, SO since 2005 on D 2016

« on: December 29, 2016, 03:52:38 PM »

I am SKS  (Sandy) female 73 at present.  Russ is in dialysis now since June 30, 2016.  We are snowbirds we live in Ohio in summer and Tavares FL in the winter. I probably should have read others intro but hope I'm covering the basics.  He is a Vietnam Vet, insulin dependent, high blood pressure etc etc.   We've managed to keep most of the blood work within desired limits OR just very lucky but do try to follow low potassium, most foods home cooked, very little processed, pre packaged.   Oh activity is limited for him due to major back surgery, neuropathy, foot drop on left from nerve damage pre back surgery. I've been a caregiver before having been a widow whose husband had wound issues among other problems, my mother was on PD and had a leg amputated most of her problems were circulatory, my MIL had LBD (Lewy Body Dementia) and I caregave her in my home before and after my husband died.  I got very proactive with her and tend to be involved.  In Ohio at center there I was permitted in with him and was very informed and aware of all that went on.  When we got to the center in FL - it's been a totally different situation.  His BP elevated and meds had to be increased and the tension is high - not the friendly situation we had.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 08:53:06 PM »

Welcome, your problem with the Florida center may be best solved by making visits to other centers and find one that fits you and you husband better.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 08:55:43 PM »

Thank you for your intro!  Sounds like you have been busy for many years, what with being a caretaker for so many people in your life!  Russ is very fortunate that you are so involved in his care.  It's a shame, though, that the center in Florida doesn't suit you both as well as the center in Ohio.  I wonder why that is?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 03:37:30 AM »

Welcome to the site SKS

:welcomesign;

Take care, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 08:18:54 AM »

Hi SKS,

Welcome to the IHD 'Family'.  We are always glad to find more Brothers and Sister in this crazy war against Dialysis.

Your Husband is very fortunate to have found such a caring soul as you to share his life.

I don't know about him, but I have seasonal allergies that cause near constant sinus issues.  I've found every move, change in climate to set off severe reactions, blood pressures totally out of control for a few months, until I become 'acclimatized'.  This could easily be a contributing factor to your Husbands problems.  Just be aware of this with those annual moves.

Hope the New Year brings good things to all.

Take Care,

Charlie B53
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »