I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:47:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Where Not To Hide Things
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where Not To Hide Things  (Read 8581 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: December 13, 2016, 12:33:57 PM »

If you're not suppose to eat candy for instance, because you're diabetic, don't hide the empty wrappers in your pockets. Chances are, someone else will find them in the washing machine.  :o

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:42:09 PM »

:rofl;

Don't tell me he did that again?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »

When I was in grad school, I had a diabetic patient hide candy in his prosthetic leg!  Cracked me up!  That is dedication!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 05:18:33 PM »

I know that Wife always checks my pockets when doing the wash so I am sure to clean them out every time I pass by the trash can.  Candy wrappers, cigarette butts, everything.  No butts on the ground around our place, I hate to have to pick them up so I won't put them down.  When I find one I know who's it is, and tell them.

As for hiding things, I have my stash spots that even my Son hasn't found.  If he knew, it would ALL be gone.   Like Father, like Son. But I think, no I don't think, I KNOW, he's worse!

I am getting better.  A whole week in the hospital and that bag of mini peanutbutter cups I still have about 4 or 5 left.  I've been rationing myself.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 07:16:27 PM »

Forty years ago when my job shifted from New York to New Jersey I would go to my parents house on weekends (I was dating a woman in the next Town)".  My mother used to make me nuts since she kept insisting I bring my laundry home for her to do it.  I figured it was easier to use the washer and dryer in my apartment building.  So I decide to bring a months worth of laundry home.  Strangely I had enough clothes to last a month,.  Whenever I ran out I would, buy shirts, underwear and pants to get through to the next weekend.  So I packed every thing in my Jeep and figured it would make my mother stop insisting that I bring my laundry.  Nope she was happy, it turned out I never checked my pockets and she was clearing 10 to twenty dollars on every load.  Things are not always what you think they are.

sp mod Cas
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:49:04 PM by cassandra » Logged
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 07:31:29 PM »

LOL   Made it worthwhile for Mom!   And without her even asking!
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »

... So I packed every thing in my Jeep and figured it would make my mother stop insisting that I bring my laundry.  Nope she was happy, it turned out I never checked my pockets and she was clearing 10 to twenty dollars on every load.  Things are not always what you think they are.

:rofl;       :clap;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 09:25:24 AM »

That would be called "the laundry tax" around my house.    ;D Anything found in the pockets is mine to keep.  There's just DH and I and if I am doing your laundry, you snooze you lose.

So I packed every thing in my Jeep and figured it would make my mother stop insisting that I bring my laundry.  Nope she was happy, it turned out I never checked my pockets and she was clearing 10 to twenty dollars on every load.  Things are not always what you think they are.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 08:14:38 PM »

My Mom is long gone.  But she would tell a story about checking pockets doing laundry.   She USED to, but quit.   I was pretty smallll yet.  Well, not really small, I've always been a big kid, still am.  But I was younger, somewhere maybe 6 or so.   Dad took us Boys fishing many weekends.

Fast forward,  Mom checking pockets doing laundry, pulled out a long dead fish that I had saved for her.

NEVER stuck her hand in my pockets again.   Whatever was in there got washed, and bleached.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 02:34:18 AM »

The funny thing I should have added was that until my parents sold the house and moved to the adirondacks I still took my laundry home and my mother had her money search.  She enjoyed finding the money and I didn't have to spend hours doing the laundry.  It was a true symbiotic event.  The fun time was when I learned that she wanted a sewing table like her mother had but my father told her to save up the money.  I did not think the table would last so I went home for a visit with the price of the table salted away in my pockets of my laundry.  Worked out great, my mom got her table, which I still have, and I got the satisfaction of my mom being happy.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 05:01:42 AM »

It feels good to do something useful for your Parents.

The private lane to Mom's house and a neighbor is a couple of blocks gravel sloping down hill.  Winter in Yakima when the snow begins it gets icy very quickly, and stays that way most years until Spring melts it.   Wife, kids, and I came over from our place on the Seattle/Everett side for the weekend.   I had already put the ice and snow tires on my truck as crossing the pass is always compact snow and ice and no way am I taking the time to put on chains, I only use them off-road going farther up after Elk.  Since I have a LITTLE truck, the kids fit OK in that small extended cab.  This is back when the extended cab first came out so they were pretty small, not near as big as they are now.   We wanted to take the kids to the Mall, see Santa, do a little shapping and asked Mom if we could use her Olds.  She always drove a full size 88 or 98, big, cushy, big engine powerful.   She said OK but I'd have to be very careful getting up out the driveway, it is very slick and spins too easy.  May have to take a couple runs at it before getting out.

Not a problem.     First thing I do at the Mall is pull into Sears Tire and have them mount up a pair of those same Ice and Snow tires I run.  It don't spin now.  Parked it at Mom's and didn't tell her.   She didn't notice until the next time she drove it up the drive.  Must have looked when she got to the store.   I got a big hug when she got home.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 10:57:46 AM »

Not to change the subject, but does it really feel good to do stuff for your Mom? I have two boys, both stepsons, who really do an awful lot for me.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 02:54:43 PM »

I really owed my mom, I was a 13 pound baby.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 06:45:31 PM »

LOL   Michael made me think of something I will NOT post.  Sent him a note explaining.

His Mother must be an Angel, I'm sure she earned it, and did a fine job raising him or he wouldn't be as loved as he is by all of us.

To Mom's everywhere, here and already gone,

Thanks Mom, we LOVE you!

smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 11:06:15 AM »

I always told my parents that I will know I have made it when I can argue with them over who is paying the check like they do with my grandparents! I have been able to buy lunch for my mom a couple times, but my dad still takes me on "Daddy/Daughter" dates and insists on paying. 

When I was a toddler, my mom started a chore chart with my brother and I.  We got paid for the list of chores, but if we didn't complete the chore chart, we had to pay her!  One week my brother did none of his chores and had to give my mom all his allowance.  I did my chores and got my normal amount.  At church that Sunday, my brother convinced me to put my entire allowance in the offering plate because "the missionaries need your money more than you!"   :rofl;

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 04:59:27 PM »

She just came home fro Daughters house with a bag full of CHOCOLATE.

I'm so screwed.   I know all her hiding places.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »

I don't have hiding spots, but my mom does.  She always hides her chocolate from me.  She "says" she doesn't buy it, because I'm not supposed to have it, but I know that's a big load of BS. *LOL*

I try to do as much as I can for my mom, since she does so much for me.  I call her my hero because she single-handedly kept me alive for the year and a half that I was on dialysis as a child.  If she asks me for something, I try to do it for her, mostly because she rarely asks for anything.  Last year, she casually mentioned that Loverboy was playing in Moncton through the summer.  I immediately went online and found out when the tickets went on sale, and made sure to be online when they did.  On Mother's Day, before leaving to go to my grandmother's house, I gave her a cd of Loverboy's greatest hits, saying that it was something to listen to on the 2 hour drive.  She looked at it, and seemed happy about it.  Then I mentioned that two tickets to the concert that August was included.  She was floored.  She'd completely forgotten about the concert.  She had a blast.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 10:24:54 PM »

Not even a personal diary is a good place to hide things. Had a friend who suffered a head injury in a car crash and lost her memory. Her doc thought it might help if we sat down with her and read some of her diary back to her, to see if that would jolt any of her memory. Well, it created a jolt alright. We took turns reading her diary back to her and discovered that over the years she had cheated at playing cards with us. Caused a big fight. Ended up having to close that chapter up before someone got hurt. Our friend may have never fully recovered her memory but in that case, the truth was better kept quiet.

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 10:32:11 PM »

Watch National Geographics "Airport Security: Colombia".   :police:  They'll show you lessons on "where not to hide things".  :rofl;

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »

Watch National Geographics "Airport Security: Colombia".   :police:  They'll show you lessons on "where not to hide things".  :rofl;

Ewwww.....

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 03:23:21 PM »

Available on -line
http://www.natgeotv.com/za/shows/natgeo/airport-security-colombia
Just added that to my Favorites.  Very interesting.
Also found a link to Utube but figured one was enough for here, too many choices confuse me too easily.  I am after all just a 'Guy'.

Just noticed, the link is to Season 2, you have to hit the Season button to show Season One.

Far more than I thought.  Hmmmmmmmmm.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:26:47 PM by Charlie B53 » Logged
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 05:56:45 PM »

Ewwww.....
I didn't look, but it sounds like you are talking about "nature's wallet".
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 10:12:10 PM »

I was flying back from Monterrey Mexico and I landed in Houston to change planes.  I had to clear customs and got on the line, there was a middle aged women on line in front of me.  After a couple of minutes a agent with a beagle came down the line and the dog sat down right next to the women.  Who turned to her male companion and said "The cute little doggy likes me", then 4 agents came out took the women her male companion and all the luggage away.  Later I saw the pair in a airport bar and they did not look happy.  Don't know what she was searched for but there are drug,vegtable dogs back then.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 06:59:02 AM »

My link above to the Nat Geo vids is screwed.  Nat Geo contracts out, all their vids are avialble through venders for a subscription cost.

Some are available free on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nat+geo+airport+security
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 07:28:02 AM »

"The cute little doggy likes me"
This is called "not clear on the concept"
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »