I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:23:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Sitting or standing blood pressures?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sitting or standing blood pressures?  (Read 3518 times)
jo

« on: December 08, 2016, 10:15:03 PM »

My mom's standing BP is lower than the BP's while sitting or at rest. The sitting BP's show systolic 190 while the standing BP would read systolic 150. Which reading should be taken into consideration - sitting or standing BP? Has anyone else had this issue? Thank you.
solid98

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 01:49:46 PM »

I think everybody has a drop in blood pressure standing versus sitting. My neph specifies he wants all the readings I record to be standing.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:14:08 PM »

On PD we or I was taught to take sitting AND standing pressures both morning and night.   The evening pressures can indict condition of water balance.  Too wet will require me to use a stronger solution during Dialysis to draw off more water.  Too dry I use weaker solutions to draw off less water.

Morning pressures can indicate how well I did.

If my pressures are off much I have to check my manual, I don't like to make the wrong assumption about this so I look to be SURE.

I don't know what is required of hem patients yet.  I just started hemo today.
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 07:53:09 AM »

Generally, I take mine standing. If it's wonky (much lower or higher than expected), I'll retake and check sitting too to be sure.

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
Michelle2016

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 11:51:35 AM »

From the Internet, the universal standard to take BP: sit, and put arm straight at the level of heart.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 06:27:38 PM »

They do both to be sure that you're not going to pass out when you stand up.  Your body has just been through a workout, and your heart may not be able to handle the strain of standing.  In my center, they do the standing while you're still connected, after the blood has been returned, just in case they need to give extra fluid.  It doesn't happen often with me, though.  I'm one of those weird people who's bp goes up when they stand up, but is low through the treatment

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 03:58:48 AM »

Whoo Hooo!   Within the last week of adding OTHER BP med I've had three sitting in the 130's.  The rest of the time I'm still around my 'more normal for me' 170's.   Nurse told me they will be happy when I am a consistent 150's.   Yeah, as IF that's gonna happen.  100 mics of fentenyal it is.  I've told them it's only the pain.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 07:20:16 PM »

Whoo Hooo!   Within the last week of adding OTHER BP med I've had three sitting in the 130's.  The rest of the time I'm still around my 'more normal for me' 170's.   Nurse told me they will be happy when I am a consistent 150's.   Yeah, as IF that's gonna happen.  100 mics of fentenyal it is.  I've told them it's only the pain.

I don't remember exactly how long it's been, but if I remember right, you haven't been on HD that long, right?  Sometimes it takes a bit for your body to regulate.  Trust me, the first time they take off too much fluid, you'll notice.  When that bp goes into your boots, there's no mistaking the feeling.  Although, I have a bit of anxiety sometimes near the end of my run that sometimes feels the same as my bp dropping, so I wait a minute or two before calling the nurses over to see if it passes

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 07:59:28 PM »

After doing dialysis for more than 3 years, my husband had a normal BP reading upon standing today. Usually it shoots up for a few minutes. That was good news but we have no idea why his BP was suddenly normal. Don't know if it has anything to do with it but he hasn't been constipated lately. Told him to try adding cucumbers to his salads and he did and no more constipation. Go figure.  :waiting;  I knew cucumbers might help but didn't know they'd help this much.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 04:48:57 AM »

Not only cucumbers, but many fruits and vegetables can help to prevent constipation.  The added bulk, fiber and water are what make the difference.  If cukes are working for him then stay with it.

There was a thread recently that pointed out a medical study where they recorded the effects of added serving of fruit and veggies on health in general.  Control group with no changes and study groups with the added fruits and veggies.  Over the study period there were great measurable improvements in most ALL areas of health.

Shouldn't have been such as big surprise.  We tend to eat what is cheap, easy, and convenient, most none of which is healthy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »