I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 07:56:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Regina General Hospital Hemo Unit-good
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Regina General Hospital Hemo Unit-good  (Read 5475 times)
jmintuck

« on: October 11, 2016, 11:37:05 PM »

I used to hate the hell out of hemodialysis centers. NOW I find it less tough as I can go to the RGH and wait there as the machine cleans up my blood. With that, the good neph gives me 1 mg of Lorazepam to relax. I relax and actually SLEEP with Lorazepam better than ever. Before, dialysis was HELL ON WHEELS! Now I just fall asleep after setup and the lorazepam at the end of setup. No big problem. Gets it seemingly over with in a "few minutes" seemingly to me. Now Dialysis is mainly a breeze to me from the Lorazepam. No more sitting there staring at the boob tube or something and getting bored outta my scull. Mental sanity is well preserved with the lovely Lorazepam. Once or twice I refused at the very beginning when initially suggested to use it. I said, by the third time "To hell with it, might as well try it for a change". Well, it worked wonders. Now when I think of the dialysi center, I think Naptime.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 06:54:49 AM »

That sounds scary as in it sounds like something that has a risk for addiction, so I goggled it:
http://drugabuse.com/library/lorazepam-abuse/
Lorazepam (brand name: Ativan) is a benzodiazepine drug that is often prescribed to manage a range of anxiety disorders and related issues. This drug is not typically indicated for long-term use—many practitioners will limit prescriptions to several weeks, at most. However, even after relatively short durations, people may become unable to function without the drug and begin displaying symptoms of addiction. Even when taken as prescribed, lorazepam can be abused. Users can quickly develop tolerance and dependence, and soon find themselves struggling with an addiction.

Be careful, even more so if its the only thing making dialysis bearable.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »

Some studies suggest that benzodiazapines increase the risk for dementia later in life.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 11:45:48 AM »

Some studies suggest that benzodiazapines increase the risk for dementia later in life.

And they are highly addictive and the devil to detox from.  Best to steer clear of them. Otherwise, you'll be a dialysis patient AND an addict.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
jmintuck

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 01:04:59 PM »

I would never yet have even DREAMED of asking for any for home, not a chance, so far.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 02:35:15 PM »

I would never yet have even DREAMED of asking for any for home, not a chance, so far.

Addiction knows nothing about location. Home, not home. Same difference.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 02:16:51 PM »

I'm sorry, but as a longterm user of Diazepam, also a benzodiazepine, I've had this 'discussion' with one of 'my' nephrologists after about 15 years use. I started using it on PD than in-centre hemo, now another 5 years later I'm still using the exact same amount while on home hemo.
O boohoo I'm an addict? Might get Alzheimer's? In what later life?
I don't think I would have been able to do this, o I'm so glad it exists, life saving D for 20+ years.

Enjoy your sleep jmintuck

:twocents;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 11:28:55 PM »

I sleep generally about half my 4.5 hour HD sessions.  Problem is noise, hearing Jerry Springer yelling you are not the father is very disturbing.  There is always some smuck who insists on watching tv without a headset. My solution, a iPhone playlist of mellow rock played loud enough to drown out the noise from the center.
nightwalker

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 09:18:54 AM »

Benzos are HIGHLY addictive. Let me make it clear that I’m not here to judge anyone for how they deal with HD treatments, but the problem with benzodiazepine’s it that they are a rapid onset fast acting drug that your body develops a dependency to almost immediately. Some might argue they are more addictive than heroine, as the youtube video below explains. I myself struggled with anxiety and was prescribed Xanax so I know firsthand how dangerous and addictive it can be in just a couple weeks after a “doctor prescribed” dose. When you don’t have it, it’s nearly impossible to sleep and you become very agitated and moody.  The withdrawals are a complete nightmare-- It may put you to sleep,  at first, but give it a few months and you’ll find that your body grows a tolerance. In my opinion, Marijuana is a far safer drug if you need something for anxiety or help with a little sleep while your in center.  https://youtu.be/LjpD41mMG8o

1998 --Diagnosed with only 1 solitary kidney and Hydronephrosis- Pyeoplasty surgery to correct issue
2015--Scar tissue obstruction/  Hydronephrosis back- 3 surgeries no luck ( stent placement, nephrostomy tube placement, ureter reimplant)
2016 -- AV Graft access created for HD. Waiting to start HD and on TX list
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 10:28:36 AM »

I completely agree with the safer option being marijuana, however I can't see myself passing a drivingtest with any amount of marijuana.
I have only been able to pass my test because of my 3.75 mg Diazepam.
As often is the case with any form of meds. Everyone is different. Even addicts.

Am I addicted to Dialysis too? I really can't do without that though

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 10:55:36 AM »

In the states, we don't have to pass a drug test to get a driver's license (yet).  I have a medical marijuana (MMJ) card legally issued by the state, and I would suspect that--even if we had such a test-- if I showed traces of MMJ I would probably be exempted because I am a MMJ patient.  I'm just guessing as this is hypothetical.  I never drive while under the influence.

Ever since developing kidney disease, my sleeping has been for the birds.  I was taking nightly Xanax and I'm not even sure it was helping me sleep.  Now that I am using only MMJ (only at night) and a very small amount. I am totally off Xanax and am sleeping like a baby.  I am so grateful that there is this option, as not sleeping, night after night, is not an option.  And going the benzo route is a fool's journey.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 12:22:35 PM »

In the states, we don't have to pass a drug test to get a driver's license (yet).  I have a medical marijuana (MMJ) card legally issued by the state, and I would suspect that--even if we had such a test-- if I showed traces of MMJ I would probably be exempted because I am a MMJ patient.  I'm just guessing as this is hypothetical.  I never drive while under the influence.
Definitely not true if you are CDL (Commercial Drivers License) - loads of extra federal regulations on those.

Now that I am using only MMJ (only at n-ight) and a very small amount. I am totally off Xanax and am sleeping like a baby.
So, you wake up crying and screaming the middle of the night demanding food?
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 01:00:08 PM »

So, you wake up crying and screaming the middle of the night demanding food?

Ha Ha Ha!   And I pee in my diaper.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 01:28:41 PM »

It is funny the way lorazepam affects people so differently. I took it for a couple of years for anxiety and then decided I no longer needed it so I stopped. That was that!! Guess I am luckier than most.
I think at age 77 and with a very bad irreparable back along with neuropathy in both arms and legs  I am no doubt addicted to something!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »