I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 11:24:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Senior Moment(s) or I'm Officially Stupid
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Senior Moment(s) or I'm Officially Stupid  (Read 8561 times)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« on: September 21, 2016, 06:30:45 PM »

PD Nurse called me last week concerned about my low potassium level.  Evidently I have dropped far under my usual very middle of the range fine and into the 'Low' area.  Told me that I have GOT TO eat more potassium rich foods, bananas, tomatoes, potatoes. And to come in this Tues (yesterday for repeat labs.

Nurse called me today with the new labs.  Even LOWER.  Just about 'Critically LOW'      What?????????   But I am already taking TWO tablets THREE times every day.   She called Dr and relayed to me to start taking THREE tabs three times daily.    Well, O.K.

I go get another bottle and start to add to my daily pillboxes.   There is NO potassium in the boxes.   ?????????  But..... I just loaded them Sunday.  Then it dawned on me, I 'might' have ran out from one bottle, and gotten distracted, and not gotten a new bottle out.   But WHEN was that?   One week ago?   Two weeks ago?    I really don't know.   How Brain Dead am I?   

Is this one of those 'Senior Moments'?

I sent Nurse an email so in the morning she will find out how badly I've screwed up.   Told her I will take the three X three til I come in for another repeat of labs Thursday next week.

I feel stupid now.

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 07:57:13 PM »

Don't feel bad, this kind of thing happens to people, including myself, that have to take multiple meds. I use to sit down once a week with my mother and we both took a turn filling and checking her weekly pill box. She'd fill it and then slide it across the table to me along with all her pill bottles and I'd check it. Soon it became a habit and just a part of our Sunday morning coffee routine. Unless you can teach one of your cats or your dog, hopefully your wife can sit down and do this with you. I don't call them "senior" moments, I call them "maalox" moments because if I screw up and get upset, I might need some maalox.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »

I did the same thing, only with my BP medication. Took me a whole week to figure it out. I evidently had it filled and got the bottle, but neglected to put it into the pill minder. I chalk it off to senior moments, and I think you should too.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
myporkchop

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:50:59 AM »

Hi charlie,  it is good that you realised what may have happened eventually :)
My mum has blister packs made up from her pharmacy so they make up her weekly packs, put them into sections break, lunch, tea, bed so all she has to do is break the seal and pop them in her mouth.
She was doing the same thing, and at times forgetting what she had had and would take her pills again just incase she hadn't had them. So potentially having double doses. Oh dear.
Can u get black packs made from your pharmacy?

21st April 2016 - mum got told she had only a few months to live. Doctor's did not support dialysis treatment for her due to many other health complications. They didn't think she could cope and recommended conservative care. Our family was devastated. She is only 64 years old.

19th June 2016 - joined IHD. The support from all of you gave my mum the confidence to give dialysis a go.
26th September 2016 - started PD dialysis at home (CAPD). The first week has wrecked havoc with her blood sugar levels and diabetes, she has been in hospital twice within the week. Dialysis is going well though.
myporkchop

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 12:52:18 AM »

P. S your not stupid :)

21st April 2016 - mum got told she had only a few months to live. Doctor's did not support dialysis treatment for her due to many other health complications. They didn't think she could cope and recommended conservative care. Our family was devastated. She is only 64 years old.

19th June 2016 - joined IHD. The support from all of you gave my mum the confidence to give dialysis a go.
26th September 2016 - started PD dialysis at home (CAPD). The first week has wrecked havoc with her blood sugar levels and diabetes, she has been in hospital twice within the week. Dialysis is going well though.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 04:22:26 AM »

That is not a senior momment, I have done that my self but I used to do even dumber things 40 years ago when I was in my twenties.  What I do today is every time I take my pills I count them. Since the number is fixed if I don't reach the magic number I start checking.  If you do a task often enough the mind sort of goes on autopilot and strange things happen.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 04:50:43 AM »

With three pharmacies supplying pills it would be difficult to get them into blister paks.  A great idea for some.

I have a seven day box, each day can be taken out and carried and have Morn, Noon, Eve, and Night.  I used to use all four but Dr's have finally reduced a few so now three is enough.

Counting could work, but I would have to get them all in correctly and then count each different time, THEN write it down.   I used to have a carbide engraver, I could have chiseled it into stone.  Sure as the world if I did that the Dr would make an immediate change.

Either way, the pill count is different all three times.  No big deal, just numbers.  I could pencil them on the wall next to where I keep my pillbox.   I think I like this idea best.

However, I am in the habit of of flipping open the lid and tapping the case agains my lips, that tap makes sure ALL the pills come out.  Big slug of water and 'Done'!    I would have to pause a half second and take the time to actually LOOK at what I am taking.  Which may be the better idea.

While we are talking about 'ideas',   remember how my PD Nurse thought my 'taping' the hole in my PD line was a 'bad' idea?

Well.......................
I woke up a few minutes, or an hour, ago, shirt soaked, and both shoulders are killing me.    What?     I found a 'leak', a hole poked in the hose a few inches below the transfer set.   Fluid leaking out soaking me, the blankets, etc..  I saw AIR sucking into the hose during the drain cycle.  Since both shoulders are aching so terribly I can oly assume that an unknown quantity of that air has been shoved back into me.   Qwap.    Checking the Cycler I see that I am into my Last Fill already.   Almost done.   So I went ahead and taped the line again.  Figuring the damage is already done, may as well finish treatment.

Soon as I finish this I will send Nurse an email letting her know what has happened.  I expect I will have to go in, again, to be loaded with antibiotics to prevent a possible infection.

I am Grandfathering 3 male kittens.  Have had them here in my room for almost a month already.  I have, or thought I had, taught them NO HOSES, and NO CORDS.   Had to toss my phone charger yesterday, and got out my last spare.   SOMEBODY had bitten (chewed) it off completely.  And now I have this hole in my hose.   SOMEBODY (the cutest grey one) got hose nose tapped a minute ago when he tried to bite my hose again.  He won't touch it now.  I hope I made a good impression this time.

I told the Wife to call the Pet Adoption Lady and ask if there is space at Petsmart yet for these guys.  I'm about ready for them to be gone.  I have to admit that I will miss them, but our dog won't.  Bones plays with them but he won't sleep in here while the kittens are here.  They get up during the night and play, bones don't.
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 07:40:52 PM »

I'm 28 and I did this with my Lasix the other week... Could not figure out why I was retaining a little more fluid than usual.. DOH!

So if it is a "senior moment" thing, I'm doomed because I'm getting them already!

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 09:25:20 AM »

Spent most the day at the Dialysis Clinic, found out I get another transfer set change.  Just did this two weeksk ago, my regular 6 month change.  Learned they do this for every contamination also.

Shoulder pain resolved by Noon.  Lucky me!    Spoke too soon.  It came back during the night.   Ugh!   I'm a 'Guy'.  We do NOT cry.   But I get very cranky and whimper, a LOT.   Bizarre, but the pain resolved again just a little bit ago.   Is this going to keep coming back every time I lay down at night?   How long, how many days or nights, will it take for all this 'air' to be absorbed and no more shoulder pain?

Nurse says kittens got to go.   I hope Petsmart has an empty display spot for them or I''m stuck.    I won't put these little guys outside,  Too many wild animals would love to have them for dinner at that young tender age.   I got to find the # of that cat Lady that handles the adoptions, see if she can find a place very soon, like today!   I lied to my Nurse when she asked if the kittens would be in my room tonight.   Actually, I didn't lie, I just kept quite, didn't say anything but nod my head.  I must have had a tight muscle in my neck that needed to be stretched.  I did tuck my blanket in so none of them could get under it next to me.  They just curled up on top of me.  No hose they could get to.

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 10:37:26 AM »

To stop the pets from chewing on cords buy alum and rub on the cord.  Last time anyone will chew on them.
KatieV

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 11:25:58 AM »

I strongly recommend locking the kittens out of your bedroom.  If they need to be "contained" during the night, I'd lock them in the bathroom - with a snuggly blanket of course!  Cats have some nasty germs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 2007 - Brother diagnosed with ESRD, started dialysis 3 days later
April 2007 - Myself and sister also diagnosed with Senior-Loken Syndrome (Juvenile Nephronophthisis and Retintis Pigmentosa)

Since then, I've tried PD three times unsuccessfully, done In-Center hemo, NxStage short daily, Nocturnal NxStage, and had two transplants.  Currently doing NxStage short daily while waiting for a third transplant.

Married Sept. 2011 to my wonderful husband, James, who jumped into NxStage training only 51 days after our wedding!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 12:40:28 PM »

Called Cat Lady, meet tomorrow and kittens will stay at PetSmart.

Found the word that describes air inside us.  Pneumoperitoneum  .  Wiki spells it out fairly well.   No fun.   Can be caused by a bunch of things, none good.

I still consider myself fortunate, only this pain for a few days, but it isn't constant.  VERY fortunate for me.  And of course the brewhaha of having to get flushed and filled with antibiotics.   Enough PITA that I am sure I do NOT want to do this again!

Even a dumb ass can learn, especially when it hurts!
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 11:47:21 AM »

Today I experienced a senior moment when I only could find one of my two pearl-earrings in my earring-box
and because of it, I started to search for the other... and ...  after going through a real "Sherlock-Holmes-deduction-process"
I finally figured out, that my second earring was no longer in my earring-box ...  because I was already wearing it... ::)

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 12:55:29 PM »

Kristina I have done the same thing and, unfortunately other strange things. I just laugh at my silly side.    :rofl;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 06:58:50 PM »

Since I don't wear earrings my where the hell could it be is generally my glasses.  Since I was 13 I have worn glasses. Many time in the last 50 years I have spent time looking for my glasses which were on the top of my head.  Since I figure the first time I did this was in 1964 I don't think this is a senior moment just one that is stupid. 
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 07:34:54 PM »

Many times I have "lost" my cell phone while I'm talking on my cell phone.  :Kit n Stik;

It's always really awkward when I'm on the phone, looking for my phone, and the person on the other line is just like "???? Really????"

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »

PD Nurse called me today, Sunday, seems the results of the cultures from my drain in the clinic the other day came back.  No Good.  Supposedly I am infected with someo type of animal carried bacteria.   Now I am confused, again.  That happens to us 'Guys'.  My exchange drains are CLEAR.  My temp is NORMAL.  I do not have any abdominal pain.  NONE of the symptoms associated with a peritoneal infection.  Nurse is calling my Dr's at the VA Hospital to ask if they want me to check in immediately.

I reminded her of the last time labs from the local hospital claimed I was infected.  I was admitted to the VA but I refused treatment until they repeated the labs as there again, NO symptoms.  Next morning the team of Dr's making rounds tried to tell mem mthe labs confirmed that I was infected with bacteria and needed immediate infusion of strong A/B's.  I told them that didn't make any sense as I still did NOT have any symptoms.

An hour later the Neph team (My Dr's team) came around and told me there had to be some problem with both sets of labs, although it MAY be possible to find bacteria the count was so low as not to pose any problem.  Discharge me to go home with strick directions that IF any symptoms appeared to immediate come back for treatment.

That was MONTHS ago.

I got a text later, don't know who, told me I did not need to come in, yet.  I would be called tomorrow.

I am wondering.  I very rarely ever get sick, but when I do it ain't no fun.   I have a very robust system.  Others at dinner a couple of times are all sickened, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, the whole food poisoning bit.  But I am fine.   Perhaps I am just Blessed with a very high tolerance to many bacteria.   Maybe?    So I won't be surprised if the Dr calls me again tomorrow wanting me to check in, be admitted for testing, again, as I made it very clear I will not take a bunch of A/B's unless and until they SHOW ME.    And in case any of you are no familiar with the phrase, it is the Missouri State Motto.   My Mama is from Missouri, I'm not, I was born in the NorthWest.  My Dad is 100% Norwegein, and they are known for their hardheadedness.  Missourians for their stubbornness.   I now live in Missouri, which makes me about one of THE most stubborn sumbitch on the planet.   And my Dr knows it.

So now I just have to hurry up and wait for tomorrow to find out how this is going to go.   I just may end up sitting my young butt in a hospital bed waiting on a round of new cultures.   I'll take a book and my laptop alone with me.     My dog will be disappointed.  He finally got to sleep with me again now that the kittens are gone.  He will be upset if I' not home in bed for a night or two.    He loves me.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 07:15:56 AM »

Y'up, I'm stupid.  Sometimes.  Spent a lot of time on the phone with Nurses from both the Dialysis Clinic and the VA Hospital.   The final decision is I get to stay home.

Yes, labs cultures did show dirty BUT the samples were taken BEFORE I was loaded with the antibiotics.  So since I am without any symptoms most likely the AB's did their job.

So I got lucky, again.

I am going to have to start being a lot more careful.  My luck could very easily run out.   And that would be bad.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 06:45:56 PM »

Well.......................
I woke up a few minutes, or an hour, ago, shirt soaked, and both shoulders are killing me.    What?     I found a 'leak', a hole poked in the hose a few inches below the transfer set.   Fluid leaking out soaking me, the blankets, etc..  I saw AIR sucking into the hose during the drain cycle.  Since both shoulders are aching so terribly I can oly assume that an unknown quantity of that air has been shoved back into me.   Qwap.    Checking the Cycler I see that I am into my Last Fill already.   Almost done.   So I went ahead and taped the line again.  Figuring the damage is already done, may as well finish treatment.

Soon as I finish this I will send Nurse an email letting her know what has happened.  I expect I will have to go in, again, to be loaded with antibiotics to prevent a possible infection.

A peritonitis infection is NO JOKE.. I got one from a faulty transfer set... it actually came apart and fell on the floor... I got the infection from holding the end of the cath closed while I found a cap to put on it... after a few days, my bags went clear again, and we thought I was fine... but it hadn't gone away and was left to fester... I ended up with a fungal infection that nearly killed me and left me unable to do PD again... if the kitties are biting through the line, then you could be getting bacteria from their mouths into your peritoneal cavity...

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 12:06:51 AM »

fungal infection that nearly killed me and left me unable to do PD again... if the kitties are biting through the line, then you could be getting bacteria from their mouths into your peritoneal cavity...
Fungal infections are the pits.  They don't always mean the end of PD, but standard procedure is immediate removal of the PD cath.

A dialysis nurse who did federal prison time (as a dialysis nurse, not an inmate) told of a PD inmate who wanted to get out of the hole and into the more comfortable infirmary so he blew into his tube which gave him the peritonitis.   I'm not sure, but I expect they tossed him back into the hole once he was cured.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 06:03:07 AM »

Once, one of the kittens bit the hose only once.   But that was enough.  It can't happen again, they are living at PetSmart until adopted.

I thought I had taught them better, NO hoses and NO wires, but that same morning I found my phone charger chewed apart.  Fortunately it wasn't a lamp cord.   Which is why I get on them so hard whenever I catch them even slapping at hoses or wires, they could fry their little self biting into a lamp cord.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »

fungal infection that nearly killed me and left me unable to do PD again... if the kitties are biting through the line, then you could be getting bacteria from their mouths into your peritoneal cavity...
Fungal infections are the pits.  They don't always mean the end of PD, but standard procedure is immediate removal of the PD cath.

It was definitely not an enjoyable experience... I don't recommend it

In my case, the infection caused too much scar tissue for PD to work properly

btw, as much as I love them, cats are a-holes... I had one who liked to lay on the heater bag, cuz it was warm... he got a couple of boots up the bum from me, and he didn't do it again..
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:19:18 PM by Riki » Logged

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 05:54:49 PM »

I have had Drain Pain occasionally.  It clears when I fill, but while it happens it is terrible.     Well............ last night it started early during about my second drain but never stopped when it filled.  Anolther couple of exchanges it just got worse.  When it grew up through my abs to my diaphragm I woke up the Wife and had her make phone calls, cause I could hardly talk.

Long story short,  I was admitted through the ER.  I cannot say now that I've never had an infection.

This sucks.   I'll be much better in a day or so.   Qwap!
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 07:12:19 PM »

Oh no! Hope you clear up quickly, Charlie!  :cuddle;

kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 07:32:45 PM »

Oh no!  That's terrible, Charle.  Is this from your kitten bite?  Take good care.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »