I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:43:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Tooting Our Own Horn
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tooting Our Own Horn  (Read 3546 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: September 14, 2016, 05:10:42 PM »

I use to keep family updated but since they don't care, never ask, never seem to give two hoots (on either side) I decided to come here to toot our horn. Not looking for any applause, just simply wanted to be able to tell someone that we had a good day. My husband and I have gotten pretty good at detecting problems with his fistula and sure enough, he needed another angioplasty or what I call a "balloon job". Vascular surgeon also replaced the small stent above his venous and removed a small aneurysm that he felt was starting to grow. They also gave him a couple of strong one-time doses of antibiotics to ward off infection too. They said that was because of the stent replacement. Guess there is always a risk of infection but even more so when someone is having something implanted into them. Love this surgeon! It helps immensely to know that someone cares and that my husband is in good hands whenever he needs some work done. Our families have no idea what he goes through to stay alive. No matter how we explain it or how many times we explain it. Anyways, he was tired the rest of the day but thinks it's because of the antibiotics. He was up and running today. And so is his fistula! I decided to come here and toot our own horn...just because.  :thx;

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Xplantdad

Health is not valued till sickness comes. T.Fuller

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:12:12 PM »

Awesome! Good to hear that you have found someone that you can trust. That helps a lot, too!  :thumbup;

My name is Bruce and I am the caregiver for my daughter Holly who is 31 years old and received her kidney transplant on December 22, 2016 :)
Holly's Facebook Kidney  page: https://www.facebook.com/Hollys.transplantpage/

Holly had a heart transplant at the age of 5 1/2 months in 1990. Heart is still doing GREAT!  :thumbup;
Holly was on hemodialysis for 2.5 years-We did NXStage home hemo from January 2016 to December 22, 2016
Holly's best Christmas ever occurred on December 22, 2016 when a compassionate family in their time of grief gave Holly the ultimate gift...a kidney!
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 08:09:34 PM »

Hey thanks, I can appreciate a good day..your hubby is a lucky man.Thank you for the up beat..... Sincerely Blake............
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 01:38:35 AM »

Good job!!!! Come on in and toot whenever you feel the need.  :cheer:   :cheer:

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 02:55:48 AM »

Well done girl!!

:yahoo;

Lots of love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 02:56:24 AM »

Well done PrimeTimer!
It is so inspiring to read when a couple work and "click" in complete unison!
Thanks for letting us know and take care & best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 06:18:53 AM »

Wife and I used to have a Primary Care Dr that we loved.  He always took the time too explain anything we didn't fully understand.  Sadly, he retired.  Not liking his replacement and going to have to go 'shopping', interviewing, for a better replacement.

It is ESSENTIAL to find a Dr that you feel comfortable with.   You are very fortunate to have been Graced with such a Dr.

They are out there.  Just not always so easy to find.
DayaraLee

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 01:07:08 PM »

Good news is always something to celebrate and share! And it's excellent news that you have a good and caring surgeon who inspires trust. Definitely a great day!
 :clap;

Husband Dx - CKD Stage 3, Diabetes Type II, Hypertensive, Stubborn...

"What is love? Love is the absence of judgment."  ~Dalai Lama
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 10:54:04 PM »

I want to thank all of you for the support. Feels grrrreat! Was hard knowing that my husband had to go thru all that the other day but we are relieved to still have his fistula working. We are learning to take the good days and really make them count. The relief we both felt is almost indescribable, as we all know the sick feeling from anxiety and the worry that washes over us like tidal waves of despair. So when you finally have something go right and the path is clear to move forward it is such a huge relief. And it feels so good to be able to share these days. Not just the bad days but those moments of relief and happiness, a sort of elation that things are alright even when they are not perfectly alright. Thanks so much for being here!  :thx;

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »